awash in space aliens

Is this the one pictured?
Barringer Crater, also known as “Meteor Crater,” is a 1,300-meter (0.8 mile) diameter, 174-meter (570-feet) deep hole in the flat-lying desert sandstones 30 kilometers (18.6 miles) west of Winslow, Arizona.
Yes, it's still most impressive and worth a visit if you're ever near Flagstaff.

Most impact craters on the Earth's surface are eventually eroded away. The moon has no atmosphere or surface water, and therefore fewer eroding forces.

And many of the objects whose impacts might have caused a crater on Earth land in the ocean.
The moon also does not have volcanoes and tectonic plates that totally remake the surface of our planet over geological time scales.

Following up on the moon:
We see craters on the moon side that faces the earth and its orbit is locked so it doesn't spin and the same side faces earth all the time. So how is it that there are so many craters on the side that faces earth, but not craters on earth itself? I would think the size alone of the earth should have many if the moon, which is blocked by the earth, has so many.
First our atmosphere. Plus tectonic plates and things grow.

We got a big one, probably about 50 meters in diameter, only about 50,000 years ago in Arizona. Still pretty visible today:
View attachment 51137
I really enjoyed seeing that crater in Arizona recently. I think what was most impressive visually approaching was the raised impact wall. Inside I could see many rocks that had been partially melted by the impact. Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff had an impressive chunk of the left over meteorite - pure metal that coalesced on impact. It was neat touching it.

Last edited:
Here you can find a composite of the far side of the moon taken by a lunar orbiter spacecraft.

Also a great photo looking back at the Earth with the far side of the moon photo bombing our planet.

IMG_0161.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom