Bare minimum Social Security

well, it seems you got the answer to your question already, she needed to be married 10 years before the divorce to get 1/2 the husbands. She needs more work history to collect her own. On the bright side here is an other option. You only need to be married 9 months if your spouse dies. Next time she visits and you get her to sign into the social security website, see if you can play match maker. Fix her up with one of your very sick older friends. My mother in law was married to her second husband for 11 months before he died. She collects half of his.

Yes... the 10 years is the amount needed... and I think ALL fathers should make sure their daughters (yes, being sexist here) know that....

One of my oldest sisters friend is paying the price of not knowing this years ago... she divorced her husband at 9 years and 6 months... Sis says that she will say that 6 months has cost her big time in SS payments off and on when they talk about money....

If you have made it that long... just move out and wait until you get to 10 years and then file for divorce....

Sounds like it has worked out so far. Not trying to be snide, but some people just find a way to get things done and move through life unconventionally.
AMEN. I think the major problem folks have is that based on How they approach life, folks tend to think any other option or life style spells doom.
Op personally your sister seems to be doing ok. How is she living now? She homeless? Destitute? Happy? In a stable relationship?
The thing isI do know a few folks who retired or should i say just stopped working with a lifestyle that would scare me to death with its uncertainty but hey they are loving it. And nope they don't seemed to think when they are 80 they'll be eating cat food and living in a cardboard box. Go figure

Last edited:
AMEN. I think the major problem folks have is that based on How they approach life, folks tend to think any other option or life style spells doom.

Some people don't like to see anybody succeed unless they've "suffered" as much as they have.

Any way she can get palimony if she breaks up with current BF? She didn't have much of a career due to supporting his? It's a sad story and one of the reasons I want to be here for my granddaughters (so far no grandsons)- I want to make darn sure they have ways to support themselves decently. Their mother, DDIL, is very traditional- a SAHM and very good at it- but before she married she'd gotten an Associate's degree in Business and had a good job and lived with some other young women with whom she shared an apartment. I found that reassuring.

Maybe the OP's sister thinks that a baby is a ticket to child support for the next 18-22 years if the relationship breaks up? I think I'd rather have all the $$ they spent trying to conceive.

ETA: I see palimony has already been suggested.

Last edited:
IMO that is a control technique men use to ensure a woman feels/is indebted to them. This gives the man control over when to end the relationship because they have money, and the woman does not, so the woman is hesitant to leave.
Maybe, but another pov is that the man could deal well enough with the woman's leaving, he just doesn't want her to leave with a big settlement and an annuity provided by the gentleman in question.

Presumably if an adult man is not married to a particular adult woman it is because he doesn't want to be married to her, or alternatively, she to him. But family lawyers and family courts are endlessly creative, so it behooves men to keep a close eye on legal trends in his state, and also on the calendar. Also try to recall how much fun your divorce was, maybe pull out some old records, etc. Time dulls memories of pain, which is often but not always a good thing.

Ha

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom