Baseball 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember going to the dome when I was very young. Dad took me and my two older brothers. I remember Jose Cruz, Larry Dierker, Doug Radar, and others. Later it was Craig Reynolds, JR Richard, Mike Scott, Art Howe, and others.

I loved the Astros back then, but they were seldom good. I remember dad offering each of us kids either a Astros pennant flag or a button that said Go Astros. I misunderstood, and thought he meant it was a button I could press that actually said Go Astros! But it was just a button with those words on it. My older brothers were smarter and opted for the pennant flag.

I remember the electronic board in the outfield that would simulate fireworks when they hit a homer. Good memories. It’s funny how time and events can change your attitudes. The cheating and the arrogance of the last few years really soured me on them.

I will say this. I sure like Alvarez. And how can you not love Altuve (even though he was involved with the cheaters). Those guys are great and likable. I’ve never been a big Dusty fan but I respected his comments after their ouster, giving credit to the Rangers. The rest of the Astros, well, I hope they enjoy their earlier than expected vacations after watching the Rangers celebrate on their home field.

I’ve always assumed the Astro thing was due to the space program, which is fine. But Colt .45’s works too because it’s Texas (as does Rangers).

Good thing there was never a Chicago Gangsters (to my knowledge)!

I was transferred to Houston in 1974 and the cheap seats tickets to see the Astros were about $4 (if I remember right). They were not doing well and I would buy a cheap seat and then after the game started just go find a good seat (lots of empties). I thought the Astrodome was simply amazing - they used to call it the 8th wonder of the world and it was cool.
Me too.

Also, I have a picture of me as a kid standing in front of the Astrodome while it was under construction. Just the superstructure was up then, IIRC. I'll need to look through my old digitized pictures and if I can find it, I'll post it here later.

The Diamondbacks do it again in Philadelphia! They are the National League champions! Only four more wins to go!

Though I wanted a rematch of last year, kind of neat to see two wild card teams in WS.

Though I wanted a rematch of last year, kind of neat to see two wild card teams in WS.

Also, whoever wins... the max wins during he season is 90... I checked a few years back and there was one with only 88...

Ding, ding, ding... Both correct.

images

It is interesting that a mom of one of my daughters friend has a Colt .45 cap... I asked her about it since she is too young to know about it (I thought) and was told her dad played for them!!!

My oldest sister remembers going to their games... I do not know if I did... only remember the dome and Astros... got in free as a boy scout..

^^^^
Just a couple of bits of Houston Baseball trivia. IIRC :)

(1) If you saw a Colt 45 game it probably wasn't in the Astrodome. IIRC, the Colt 45's played their games in Colt stadium which was an open air stadium right next to where the Astrodome was being built. I "think" they changed the name of the team to the Astro's as they moved into the new Astrodome in ~1965.

(2) Mickey Mantle hit the first homerun in the Astrodome during an exhibition game. He also tried to hit the top of the dome. Don't remember if he did, but I remember he did try.

Last edited:
Went to a WS years go in Atlanta . I always told my son a. Braves fan that if the Cleveland Indians , my fathers , his grandfathers team ever played the Braves in a WS we would go . We got to go …Get there early you will see lots of old players . At the Atlanta stadium they had a sign up in the stadium from an Atlanta sports doctor . He said something like once you become a pitcher , you give your arm to the Devil …..My son was a college baseball pitcher .

OK, I'm officially rooting for the Rangers to win the WS. :bat:

Since I recall Pete Broberg, David Clyde, Reuben Sierra, Jeff Burroughs and Juan Going Going Gone-zales and owner Bob Short I have to go with the Rangers!

I was at the game. Decided to get scalped and go. What a game! Huge homers by Seager & Garcia.

Watch the entire game last night. A little boring (IMO) until the bottom of the ninth when the Rangers evened it up. Then it was pins and needles for the next two innings.

OK Rangers, you have the advantage now. Just 3 more wins needed.

Last edited:
I thought the pitch to Seager was a meatball with gravy slinging off of it--right down the pipe--and Seager got all of it. You can't make those kinds of pitches to any MLB hitter, and certainly not to Seager.

Also, Sewald should never have walked the #9 hitter.

The pitch to Garcia wasn't bad, should have been an inch lower, but Garcia is so strong he still had enough to muscle it over the fence (barely).

The Diamondbacks bullpen has been lights out, just had two mistake pitches at the wrong time.

Great game. I'm hoping the D-Backs can bounce back tonight.

BTW, this is the first walkoff HR in a World Series Game 1 since Kirk Gibson's in 1988.

I thought the pitch to Seager was a meatball with gravy slinging off of it--right down the pipe--and Seager got all of it. You can't make those kinds of pitches to any MLB hitter, and certainly not to Seager.

Also, Sewald should never have walked the #9 hitter.

The pitch to Garcia wasn't bad, should have been an inch lower, but Garcia is so strong he still had enough to muscle it over the fence (barely).

The Diamondbacks bullpen has been lights out, just had two mistake pitches at the wrong time.

Great game. I'm hoping the D-Backs can bounce back tonight.

BTW, this is the first walkoff HR in a World Series Game 1 since Kirk Gibson's in 1988.

Yes, I saw Gibson's and now this one. I was living in LA at the time. That was spectacular!

Garcia must have strong arms and good eyes to hit that low, outside curve ball like that and have it go that far.

Yes, I saw Gibson's and now this one. I was living in LA at the time. That was spectacular!

Garcia must have strong arms and good eyes to hit that low, outside curve ball like that and have it go that far.

And what power that must have been. That ball seemed to be carried to the fence on an updraft or something. It just didn't seem to have the distance - but then it just cleared. Amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom