Bell Ringers

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For the next two Saturdays I will volunteer some time to be a Bell Ringer for the Salvation Army. I volunteer for a couple of organizations throughout the year and a couple of boards.
I have not done this part of volunteering before but felt I had the time and if I can help I should.
Just wondering if anyone has been a Bell Ringer during the Christmas season?

For the next two Saturdays I will volunteer some time to be a Bell Ringer for the Salvation Army. I volunteer for a couple of organizations throughout the year and a couple of boards.
I have not done this part of volunteering before but felt I had the time and if I can help I should.

I haven't been a bell ringer, but I think it sounds very cool. And, I like how the Salvation Army helps people.

^ yes, and if you look at all major charities records and distribution percentages they are one of the best where your money goes.

It will be an interesting few Saturdays for me.

I thought they hired people to be bell ringers and paid them a little bit of the donations that one collected. For instance, at the grocery store the bell ringer is usually one of the store clerks.

Do you know if these pots really collect as much as they used to 10 to 20 years ago? I suppose it might depend on the location and demographics of the location.

I will also say that I don't donate at all to bell ringers because I use a DAF or a credit card to donate and don't ever carry any cash anymore.

I'll enjoy reading about your experiences with all this.

I always put money in the kettles and write them a yearly check. They have helped many of my clients through the years with their programs. Most of the money goes to help people. I am not thrilled with their attitude towards gay people but no charity is perfect. I think that they only pay bell ringers if they cannot get enough volunteers.

^ not sure what is actually brought in over the 20 plus days. I can tell you that no one in my state gets paid to man the bucket and ring the bell. All volunteer work here I can vouch for that.
SA has a small old house here where they sell used items that have been donated and all that work is volunteer status also.
Not one to hold my hand out in life but then again this is for a great cause in hopes it may help others in my very rural area.
I have seen the work they have done in my area and I'm very proud of that just like other helping/working charities.

^ not sure what is actually brought in over the 20 plus days. I can tell you that no one in my state gets paid to man the bucket and ring the bell. All volunteer work here I can vouch for that.
SA has a small old house here where they sell used items that have been donated and all that work is volunteer status also.
Not one to hold my hand out in life but then again this is for a great cause in hopes it may help others in my very rural area.
I have seen the work they have done in my area and I'm very proud of that just like other helping/working charities.

+
Good for you, and thanks.

A long time ago, I had to buy stuff from SA as I was severely struggling out of homelessness. I always have appreciated the kind treatment their volunteers/staff showed.

They are the main charity I donate to now.

My nephew was a graduate of the Salvation Army drug program for several years. Then he overdosed. They held a beautiful church service for him and people brought food. Very thoughtful.

I have been a bell ringer on several occasions and enjoyed it. It's nice if you have someone working with you for conversation and to have a break once in a while.

As a bell ringer, you can't help notice people going out of their way to avoid you. I always thought that was silly as I had no expectations that everyone would choose to donate. Some do and some don't and I always tried to have a friendly greeting for everyone. People shouldn't feel any obligation to give unless they want to and choose to.

^ interesting observation. I was wondering about experience if that happened. The place I will work has two entrances so if someone wants to be incognito they will be able to bypass the kettle.
Thanks for the schooling on how you did the job.

My mom was a bell ringer occasionally and always asked to be placed at the state liquor store. She positioned herself just between the entrance and exist doors and handed out mini candy canes (which she purchased herself). I guess she figured that anyone who could afford to stockup at the holidays could afford to make a donation.

Yepp. I do. I ring the bell from 2-4pm the day after Thanksgiving at local grocer...

Then again the Friday before xmas from 2-4pm every year. People are always in awesome giving spirits those two times of the year. They just got off work early, they are in the shopping mood, and really starting to get into the xmas spirit. I give myself a headache yelling and ringing so loud,,, HO HO HO!!!

I have been a bell ringer on several occasions and enjoyed it. It's nice if you have someone working with you for conversation and to have a break once in a while.

As a bell ringer, you can't help notice people going out of their way to avoid you. I always thought that was silly as I had no expectations that everyone would choose to donate. Some do and some don't and I always tried to have a friendly greeting for everyone. People shouldn't feel any obligation to give unless they want to and choose to.

Yepp, I find a few people avoiding the kettle as well. It's fine, nobody can give everything everyday lol.

I've had people pull out a check book and cut some nice ones as well though! :D

I also hand out candy canes to those who want them...some do not. This year I plan on having mrs kgtest bring the boy buy to ring with me the last 15minutes or so.

I always put money in the kettles and write them a yearly check. They have helped many of my clients through the years with their programs. Most of the money goes to help people. I am not thrilled with their attitude towards gay people but no charity is perfect. I think that they only pay bell ringers if they cannot get enough volunteers.

I remember as a grade school kid one of my friend's dad was laid off. They could not pay utility bills. The SA cut them a check to pay the bills.

We have a bell ringer at our local Kroger that's SUPER aggressive in calling out to people as they're walking up or walking by. It's clear that some don't want to (or can't) donate, but he's always saying in the loudest voice possible, things like "HELLO, SIR!!" and when you leave, "HAVE A GOOD DAY, SIR!!". As much as I appreciate the charity, there's a fine line that should be observed, and while most bell ringers are great, a few of them are overly aggressive which has been a turn-off to the entire thing..

I've contributed to the Kroger SA kettle a few times but go there 4-5 times a week and am more inclined to give when this particular guy is not ringing the bell and someone else is..

I've been volunteer a bell ringer in the past.

I was always careful to be to the side of the main entrance (to was a Kroger). I smiled at people as I rang the bell and wished them a merry Christmas if they said anything to me or donated.

I haven't seen any kettles this year around here, not sure what's up.

My favorite thing about the kettles is that they are anonymous. Usually I donate a small amount, but I try to make a larger one at least once a season.

In 1988, the apartment building I was living in burned down. 24 units gone in one cold (-10), windy January night.
I was a singe soldier (enlisted) living off-post. There were three organizations that provided relief; RC, SA, and AER (army emergency relief). SA and RC got me back on my feet. AER? zip, nada, zilch. Because I was a single soldier eligible to live in the on post barracks, I was not "qualified" for their benevolence. I've given nicely over the years to SA and RC. But after that, never another dime to AER.

I carry cash every year to stuff kettles. I teach my son that, if you can afford to go into a store, you can afford to drop something in the kettle.

I’ve started going cashless but make a point of carrying a wad for the holiday season. I generally leave extra for tips around the holiday. A short while back I gave my last few bucks to a firefighter standing at the traffic light collecting for charity. At the next intersection there was another firefighter and I was out of cash. He looked at me like a heel but I wouldn’t give again anyway even if I had more cash.

I heard SA was adding Apple pay to their kettles this year.

We usually give some..........problem is that the person collecting at Store C doesn't know that we already gave at Store A and Store B. I feel a little paranoid that they think I'm not contributing, but I did earlier that day, or that week.

Oh, well. We know what we give and that's all that we should think about.

I’ve started going cashless but make a point of carrying a wad for the holiday season. I generally leave extra for tips around the holiday. A short while back I gave my last few bucks to a firefighter standing at the traffic light collecting for charity. At the next intersection there was another firefighter and I was out of cash. He looked at me like a heel but I wouldn’t give again anyway even if I had more cash.

I heard SA was adding Apple pay to their kettles this year.

Yes, that is true.

I have never been a bell ringer, it sounds like it might be fun though.

I have a mixed-use Commercial/Residential building downtown. When I bought it, one of the storefronts was vacant [it is in a small mill town where many of the storefronts are vacant] I approached a 'street ministry' style church, and we signed a lease with them to use the vacant storefront. Now they serve meals to the hungry, and they host a 12-step program, etc. We do not charge the church anything for the space.

I pay the property taxes and insurance on the building, but the church pays for their own utilities.

I figure that as my charity giving, though the IRS does not accept it as a write-off.

As a bell ringer, you can't help notice people going out of their way to avoid you.

It's not just an issue of whether you want to donate to the SA or not. I'm sure I pass several dozen kettles over the holidays but only give a few times. And my main gift to the SA (who I strongly support) is via a gift check out of my IRA (for the tax benefit - it reduces my taxable RMD).

Now, I don't actually go out of my way to physically avoid passing a kettle and ringer, but the vast majority of times I pass them, I make no contribution.

Today was a new experience for me and found it very rewarding. A few observations were the people I knew or if we crossed paths in life put money in the kettle. The second observation was the people I thought gave were people that may not have financial portfolios. The people I seen drive up with expensive cars etc. didn't seem to donate to the cause.
It is a personal thing to donate and don't care either way, but what I experienced today seemed consistent.
Next Saturday I will ring the bell again.

Back
Top Bottom