Best current budgeting apps?

OP - sounds like you are no longer saving the 25% ?

I basically saved a bunch and spent the rest.
After retirement, I still didn't know how much I spent, which seemed "bad" as others here on the forum can tell you exactly what they spend on groceries/gas per year.

So, I tried paper, and I tried, some computer based spending tracking, but all failed as I would neglect to input the data as the computer/paper was not handy. I tried taking all the info from my bank account, but that missed some stuff too.

Finally I got a spending app on my smart phone and have for the past 1.5 years been tracking my spending very accurately. The biggest reason is my phone is with me all the time when I leave the house ! , it only takes about 15 seconds, after paying for a restaurant meal, to pull out the phone and put in the meal cost, other times I stick the receipt in my wallet and enter it all a few hours later when I look at my phone.

I do transfer all the totals per category for each month to a spreadsheet when I get in the mood, so maybe twice a year. This is just in case I lose the phone, I'll have the record totals.

It has been pretty enlightening, to see what the large expenses are each year/month, and how cheap I am :D

I am using the new online version of YNAB. I resisted that for a year and continued to use Classic. However, overall I have found that I like the online version. I tried Quicken for a few months but didn't like it and had lots of problems with it. For budgeting overall I prefer YNAB.

I am using the new online version of YNAB. I resisted that for a year and continued to use Classic. However, overall I have found that I like the online version. I tried Quicken for a few months but didn't like it and had lots of problems with it. For budgeting overall I prefer YNAB.

Thanks, that's good to know. Did you import/transfer all your classic stuff right in? If so, how did that go?

Thanks, that's good to know. Did you import/transfer all your classic stuff right in? If so, how did that go?

Yes, I did. I wouldn't update until I could do 2 things. One, I wanted to be able to import in data. Two, I wanted to be able to export data as a back up. Both went fine. The importing was very smooth.

I did do a 30 day trial before I committed on buying it. Also, I needed a little more time during my trial and asked and they gave me some more time to try it.

Yes, I did. I wouldn't update until I could do 2 things. One, I wanted to be able to import in data. Two, I wanted to be able to export data as a back up. Both went fine. The importing was very smooth.

I did do a 30 day trial before I committed on buying it. Also, I needed a little more time during my trial and asked and they gave me some more time to try it.

Perfect. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom