Bittersweet day.................

Why is it that whenever an American kid goes to College they have to relocate across the country?
My bro commuted back and forth from home to tech school in a town about 18 miles away after he got out of HS. He moved out shortly after finishing tech school. About 30 years after relocating across the country, he started commuting to college about 50 miles from his home out east and has earned a bachelor's degree at 58 while working fulltime.

Sis commuted for 2 years to the jr. college about 15 miles away, then transferred to the nearest state college about 40 miles away and lived on or near campus for 2 years. After college she relocated across the country.

Me.....I didn't go to college OR relocate across the country, I just went out and got a job, and continue to live on & maintain the old family homestead. I have taken some classes over the years at the local jr. college....some for work, but most were just for 'sh*ts & giggles'. ;)

I don't have statistics, but I'm pretty sure the majority of kids go to school close to home. At DD's band banquet, they announce which college each kid is going to, and at least 80% were in Texas, and most of those at the 3 major universities within 2 hours of home. UT-Austin is tough to get into, otherwise I expect it would've dominated.

I lived at home my first year of college, as did some of my friends. I wish I'd have gone elsewhere, but with limited funds and academic scholarships, this made the most sense by far.

My daughter is going over 1000 miles away from her high school, but it's the 2nd closest big school from my home and she is getting in-state tuition.

I remember the day my parents dropped me off at college. My mother was holding back tears the whole time. I was just ready to make the break and move on. I didn't want to deal with the whole emotional thing. I wasn't very good at that "stuff" at that young age.

My mother passed away a few years ago. When I was going through her personal effects, I found a letter she wrote (like a diary) about the day she had to leave me at college. Now that sure was a bittersweet moment for me...

DW and I are off to Texas, taking our oldest DD to college. I know in my heart it's time for her to spread her wings and fly, but the dad in me is having a hard time watching her go. How did others in this forum cope? Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
You guys gotta be kidding me. Only 728 days to go!

Lemme refresh the memories of those who [-]have lost their ever-lovin' minds[/-] are pining for the "good ol' days". We just finished a three-day family weekend that was punctuated by the typical teenager's age-appropriate thoughtless, inconsiderate, selfish, oblivious, self-obsessed behavior. With angst & drama. Throw in a couple bone-headed driving mistakes, too. She was thoroughly sick of us by Sunday night and quite happy to escape to Monday's school/work.

Every time she grumbles "I'm gonna be so happy to move out of here!", spouse and I give each other a high-five. We spent our entire careers training officers & sailors for their jobs and advancement, and we're thrilled to see this little birdie flapping her wings on the edge of the nest. You've spent their entire lives raising them for this moment-- leave your final mark with a boot in the butt!

Why is it that whenever an American kid goes to College they have to relocate across the country,
My daughter is going to college just 5 blocks away from her high school.:confused:
We see it as a rite of passage and a final slice of the umbilical cord. It'll also teach her about Mainland driving, winter weather, and why Hawaii no ka oi.

Besides, our kid doesn't want to look up from [-]face-down in a gutter[/-] partying with her friends on a Waikiki Saturday night to see her Mommy and Daddy boogying it up on the dance floor. Again.

Why is it that whenever an American kid goes to College they have to relocate across the country,

According to our daughter, it was because going to school in China wasn't practical.

Seriously, a far away college adds significantly and unnecessarily to the cost, so tactful discouragement is a good idea when in the planning stages.

My daughter is going to college just 5 blocks away from her high school.:confused:

Good question. DW and I both went to school about one hour from home at the state's major university. DD has been to three schools: 1st year was half way across the country, the rest at a university in an adjoining state with one semester abroad in Scotland.

I would not have had the courage to even ASK my father about studying abroad or paying out-of-state tuition. I already knew the answer, and the backlash would not have worth it. But then, DD is a far better student academically than I ever was.

As parents, one goal many of us have is raising a child or children who are eventually independent and responsible, and who have good values instilled in them so they can make good decisions on their own. When our baby birds leave the nest and accomplish things on their own, it is as much a success for us as it is for them. When my daughter left home for college, I felt so proud of her. After you drop her off at college, try to feel like a gold medal Olympic athlete and hear the crowd applauding in the background.

Thanks to all that replied. Want2's post hit the nail on the head. We got to the dorm, helped unload and unpack (didn't know so much could fit in such a small room). DD had to go to a sorority orientation meeting (she is rushing), so no tearful goodbyes here, just a hug and kiss, and off she went. I was so proud of her walking away--she was a well prepared young adult and on top of the world. DW and I felt like we had won the Gold Medal in the Parenting event.

DD and I have had 1 conversation and a couple text messages--and she is having a blast.

Thanks again to all that took the time to read and/or reply.

DD had to go to a sorority orientation meeting (she is rushing), so no tearful goodbyes here, just a hug and kiss, and off she went.

DD and I have had 1 conversation and a couple text messages--and she is having a blast.

Caution: I experienced precisely the same thing with DD#2.

At the end of rush week she was on top of the world when she got into the sorority of her choice. Then it dawned on her the fun was over and she had to actually had to go to class the next day...and that meant studying. Suddenly life was no longer quite so rosy. :(

Think I should chime in being a current student (go back for third year Sunday). My brother left the nest two years before me and I do feel that gender plays an important role in parents' decisions with their children. My brother and I are kind of expected to succeed and do well on our own, so it was more of a "We're here, you're here, if you need help or whatever let us know, don't drink too much, bye". With my sisters, it is yet to be seen, but I will expect something else. Every single Easter and Thanksgiving, most of the ladies on campus head home with the family, where the guys don't care as much and sit around studying or, ahem, drinking or some other wholesome activity. Sidenote: I go to school 1100 miles from home, but it all depends on preference, I know a lot of people who wouldn't be able to leave within 40 miles of home.

My, what a wonderful thread full of bittersweet stories from parents.

On behalf of my colleges years, may I just say...

hello to all of you current and future co-eds; See you on the quad, you beautiful creatures, you.

Back
Top Bottom