Blow That Dough! - 2019

A 36 mile stretch of the old Erie canal is 3 miles down the road.
It still holds water. Pretty amazing engineering feat. All hand dug. Opened the Midwest to the world.
Not sure what else is significant about today beyond the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, but we celebrated it anyway with a Wagyu A5 steak (inspired by RobbieB).
View attachment 32897

It was every bit as good as it looks. As close to a religious experience as you can have at the dinner table.

Replaced our 2010 Lexus RX Hybrid with the 2020 version. Love the updated safety features. We could have waited a few years, but the timing felt right, particularly in light of an inheritance and the unexpected passing of a younger colleague.

So we have been collectors of modest art glass for some years, mostly paperweights that are from 2" to 3.5" in diameter. Most were no more than $150 each, frequently less. We have 3 pieces from a particular artist that does really nice work, and recently got a platter that is 12" in diameter for $280 from a gallery that features his work. Now we see on his website a 5" diameter round piece that is really gorgeous for $1000. We can totally afford it, but spending the $ totally goes against my sensibilities. We don't need it. Might there be something else that we could do with the $ that would be less, or we might like better? It's tough to pull this trigger.

I love hand made glass pieces. I struggled for 3 days to purchase this piece in Santorini Greece. Today I pulled the trigger. Definitely in the blow that dough camp. But every time I looked at the artists work it brought a smile to my face. IMG_8100.jpg

A few days late, but I should probably mention I bought a ticket on the secondary market to Game 3 of the World Series. Upper deck, about at 3rd base, and got it for $963 before the Astros clinched their series. Similar tickets were selling for $1250 a few hours before game time.

And yes, the Nats lost, but I went with three generations of family, none of whom had ever been to a World Series, so it was worth it.

A few days late, but I should probably mention I bought a ticket on the secondary market to Game 3 of the World Series. Upper deck, about at 3rd base, and got it for $963 before the Astros clinched their series. Similar tickets were selling for $1250 a few hours before game time.

And yes, the Nats lost, but I went with three generations of family, none of whom had ever been to a World Series, so it was worth it.
I think that is wonderful:)

My 86 year old father and my sports crazy 11 year old nephew seemed equally enthralled!

All right, did my part.

Just purchased an 82inch tv (from Costco) to replace a 3yr old 65inch TV. Prices dropped big last night. The old TV will be redeployed.

The good news in all this is my living room simply cannot hold a bigger TV. This should last 7+ years like many of my prior TV purchases.

Last edited:
All right, did my part.

Just purchased an 82inch tv (from Costco) to replace a 3yr old 65inch TV. Prices dropped big last night. The old TV will be redeployed.

The good news in all this is my living room simply cannot hold a bigger TV. This should last 7+ years like many of my prior TV purchases.

You didn't wait until Black Friday? Oh, the horror!! You must have blown that dough!!

Not sure if this counts as a splurge or blow that dough, but just bought a gym membership for me and DH for $500 a year (quite cheap). I already play a lot of sports worth $1000 per year just for myself (volleyball), but I've been wanting to add strength training on my off-days, so it's now $1,500 for sports/fitness. The gym has hydromassage tables/chairs as well as massage chairs and red light therapy rooms, so those were the perks that caught my attention, and I imagine I will be using some machines for strength training LOL.

Both of us hate cold weather. For the upcoming winter we bought His 'n Hers Milwaukee Electric heated jackets from Home Depot, and I bought a pair of heated gloves from Acme Tools (gender bias still exists; Milwaukee doesn't make them for women) since HD was apparently out of them in my size. We haven't had enough cold weather to really try them out but all seems to work well.

Say, isn't Acme Tools where Wile E. Coyote gets all his stuff? Oh well, our fire/explosion insurance is paid up....

Attachments

• catalog_study.jpg
    catalog_study.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 50
You didn't wait until Black Friday? Oh, the horror!! You must have blown that dough!!

A strategic decision after tons of analysis. This TV has an MSRP of $4000 and Costco was selling it yesterday for $3300. Today's price is $2500 which I feel will be the black Friday price.

Trigger pulled today, so I can buy something else on black Friday :)

Both of us hate cold weather. For the upcoming winter we bought His 'n Hers Milwaukee Electric heated jackets from Home Depot, and I bought a pair of heated gloves from Acme Tools (gender bias still exists; Milwaukee doesn't make them for women) since HD was apparently out of them in my size. We haven't had enough cold weather to really try them out but all seems to work well.

So the heated jackets isn't clothing if it's from Home Depot?

Is it some kind of blankets which you plug in, not battery-powered?

Thanks for the tip Walt! I just ordered some heated gloves from Amazon. They should keep my fingers from freezing when I'm plowing snow on the atv.

I think I may have Raynauds disease, because the symptoms sound identical to what occurs with me. https://www.google.com/search?q=ray....69i59j0l5.18281j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Tell me how the gloves work out for you, i've been looking for answers.

Have you tried hand warmers? They're single-use chemical thermal packs, and while they would need to go in the palm of your hand, that usually helps warm the fingertips, and you can always pull your fingers into the palm of your glove.

I just replaced 15 year old carpeting in three bedrooms with wood flooring. And then replaced ugly white tile counter tops with quartz adding a new sink too. Love the look now.

Then I had 7 old discolored can lights replaced and had new metal rollers put on the 9 foot tall slider. It was a busy couple of months, but I am very happy with everything. It all cost about 20K.

Paid for my first golf club membership at a local course, for November through March. Perhaps not really blowing that dough, I just need to play 12 more times between now and the end of March to be ahead. We should get some nice days in the Mid-Atlantic area during that time. :)

Booked flights, hotel, and game tickets for quick trip to NYC in November to the Empire Classic at Madison Square Garden. BFF e-mailed me that she and her husband were going (they live within driving distance and visit the city often); I checked my calendar and realized I could fly up Thursday morning, come back Saturday, and still see DS who will be in town on Sunday. Bonus - I get to spend time Friday with DD who is in law school there. Since neither kid will be home for Thanksgiving, it's nice to get to see them just before the holiday.

Not too much dough as the flights were reasonable and I used points for most of the hotel cost. But a few years ago I would have thought this was frivolous and not made the trip.

$2500 fishing boat, wood chipper, towable cart for ATV, planer & table, new dremel multi-tool...moved to our forever lake home...renovations about to begin, and more utility toys to come! (all these items in past week!)

I had sold my previous larger motorhome about 1 month ago. Bought this new (used) motorhome last Friday. Drove back from Florida, towing my car I drove down. Little over 2100 miles in 5 days for the round trip. Picture of new motorhome ready to hit the road back to home. I wanted to downsize, this one is 37 ft length, my old one was 45 ft. Not too much of a blow the dough since most of the funds for new motorhome came from selling the old one. Looking forward to some future trips. 20191026_112936.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom