Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that definitely qualifies. I did not know one could spend >$10k on a table top sewing machine.
It was deeply discounted below that, and her $2000 trade in is a story unto itself.
She purchased a $1700 quilting machine with a big throat around 2009, from a Viking dealer.
She takes it to Quality Sew and Vac for service, and they sell her a maintenance agreement. We are not typically MA purchasers, but this is quite the plug for doing so.
Things go smoothly for a few years, and then it fails. They try to fix it and she shows up to pick it up, brings it home, fails.
Then they do all sorts of things, say it is fixed. We check it at their shop. Failure!
They send it back east to corporate technicians. They "fix" it. Yup, still broken :(
The owner of Quality Sew and Vac replaces a machine that she did not even buy from them with a $3000+ fancy machine.
She just took her in for the annual cleaning so they know it is good, hence the $2000 trade in. The MA will transfer to her new machine after the 1 year warranty period.
They have completely earned our business and trust.

A very nice blow, Skyking!

Pics of the desk - and perhaps of some quilt?

My sister with a quilt Mary made for her son on the left and one she made for sister behind. I hung them on the wall of her apartment recently.
PXL-20220426-021220034.jpg

The Hawaiian shirt scrap quilt from our Christmas story. Link
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/christmas-was-good-to-me-again-116361-2.html#post2872222
PXL-20221226-025619816.jpg

Moonglow, made 6 years ago and gifted here to our UK family this August.
PXL-20220828-191152875.jpg

I don't have them all organized in a folder so those are the recent pictures.
IMO she can have whatever machine she desires :D

Last edited:
No doubt Mary has some serious talent - those are beautiful, Skyking1!

She is more than worthy of her machine!

Beautiful quilts. I love the Moonglow one also. Glad that she is getting her dream machine.

Absolutely gorgeous quilts!! She deserves the new machine.

All of those quilts are gorgeous! Very intricate pattern work.

A very nice blow, Skyking!

Pics of the desk - and perhaps of some quilt?

I started opening up the desk for the bigger machine. It is an old walnut veneer over solid ash, I think. Our friends gave it to us, and I repurposed it immediately into a sewing desk. First step is locating and drilling in the corner radii with a hole saw, then I plunge cut between those with my worm drive saw and sliced it out. I've done all that and routed that step for the insert. The new machine is too tall to keep the drawer bottom intact, so I knifed that out. The drawer stays as just a shell with the pencil organizer in the front.
PXL-20221231-190522521.jpg

These should be arriving soon. I wasn't going to get quite this serious about this hobby, but one of the guys I trained with was urging me on. I started training in 2015, and just now getting the kit.
WhichParajet-MaverickAtom80-1-1.png

iu
Now that is cool.... I see a few similar "hanging" around here from time to time... Looks sort of dangerous...

But it was less than half US pricing via a UK whisky auction [emoji51]

IMG_6076.JPG

I was keeping spending in check all during 2022, then in mid-December, spent a total of about $65,000 on a new vehicle and a major house remodeling project. Both were well overdue.

Guess it's no longer 2022 but I bought a new Tacoma in early December which was almost half of my spending for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom