Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ That would put the hurt on my small 1/2 hp electric motors for pumping water. A lot in my area have irrigation fields they need to have a 10 to 15 hp electric motors to pump into ditch.

^ That would put the hurt on my small 1/2 hp electric motors for pumping water. A lot in my area have irrigation fields they need to have a 10 to 15 hp electric motors to pump into ditch.
Electric motors are fine. It's the fossil fuel burner that will be banned for new sales.
You just won't be able to power you electric motor with a generator unless you own one before new sales are banned.

Electric motors are fine. It's the fossil fuel burner that will be banned for new sales.
You just won't be able to power you electric motor with a generator unless you own one before new sales are banned.

OHHHH!! I misunderstood that.

Grilling is best done with charcoal. And yup, I got my 20 amp 230 volt propane generator already.

Isn't Hawaii the highest for electric rates in the nation:confused:

I believe that is correct. Having said that, it's possible to use very little if you are careful about where you live. Our condo is oriented with the trade winds (trades blow in one side and out the other. So we need no AC. Since we need no heat, our electric bill is manageable. Our bill is around $80.

Some folks on the Ewa plane, have houses which require AC to be habitable. Bills of $400 or even $500 are not unheard of. But at least their RE taxes are low! YMMV

My friend works on those massive engines that power the generators there. They send him all over to do technical support.
1f1f9b4d90c240cbdbf55b84b4ccd1b2.jpg

f4cb1a168f7909ccd6e02bd313382edb.jpg

I support my mother living in Mexico and she does a wonderful job at spending some of my mula/ money every month. My wife said's I am hers social security in a good way.

I also help some of folks that help me take care of her w/ necessities.
For me, just satisfying basic necessities is good enough.

We have been supporting my Aged Mom for over 15 years, to the tune of 600$/month plus emergencies (AC, plumbing, car repairs, tires, etc). My DW admires my mother, who took care of my disabled twin for 25 years and gave up her teaching job, so it was not a sacrifice. For the last 5-6 years, my twin was bed-bound; those of you with relatives who are severely disabled probably know what this means; it is a 24/7 commitment, although she did get help for about 8 hours a week from the State. . For a time we were also helping support DW's Mom and sister.

It is the best form of blow the dough, although it is more paying it back.

My friend works on those massive engines that power the generators there. They send him all over to do technical support.

Are these diesel generators on Oahu? If so, they are apparently either at Campbell Industrial Park or at Schofield. I found the following site indicating Oahu's (and other Islands') power sources. As you can see, most electrical generation on Oahu is via oil fired steam/turbine.

https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/about-us/power-facts

I don't know if the diesels are for intermittent (peaking) production or for base load. I would guess the former. IIRC there were gas turbine units (I assume for peaking) near where we stayed on Maui 20 years ago. Don't know if they still exist.

As you can see, it's a bit of a hodge podge of generation sources and locations Island wide. Kinda interesting. How they keep it functioning (most of the time) is a mystery to me.

She's lucky to have you. My SIL's mother was widowed early when DSIL and her sister were in grade school. Not having had any educational or career opportunities, she got a job at the Hoover Company and worked there till she retired. Other sister stayed married too long to a guy with drug abuse problems. Now Mom is showing early signs of Alzheimer's. My brother is 68 and still working- fortunately it's a few days a week and WFH and cost accountants get paid $$$ (maybe because it's so darn boring? :D) but that's paying to keep Mom in Assisted Living.

Definitely BTD but for a good cause.

We have been supporting my Aged Mom for over 15 years, to the tune of 600$/month plus emergencies (AC, plumbing, car repairs, tires, etc). My DW admires my mother, who took care of my disabled twin for 25 years and gave up her teaching job, so it was not a sacrifice. For the last 5-6 years, my twin was bed-bound; those of you with relatives who are severely disabled probably know what this means; it is a 24/7 commitment, although she did get help for about 8 hours a week from the State. . For a time we were also helping support DW's Mom and sister.

I do agree, spending money on what Mom needs is better than anything else I can think!

Some things mentioned do give me pause about BTD for my paver driveway and patio, especially the cost.
First, I would feel foolish to have LBYM and the just die with a large balance. What is the point of doing that? So, if the point of accumulation is to enjoy it, then that requires some thought on what would give me pleasure. I'm writing this while leaning against a rock while soaking bait fishing on a mountain lake where we've been camping the past few nights. It doesn't cost much but it is pleasurable as I listen to the wind and the soft quack of a mother duck to her ducklings as she spies me as she comes into view. I've done the caregiver thing for my father who had Alzheimer's and I've supported my children with home purchases and expenses when needed and appreciated. But at some time before I return to dust, I would like to BTD on something I don't especially need but think, "wouldn't that be nice?".
A deck, a boat, this paver project, trips, etc all were on the list, but only the pavers didn't jack up price over the past couple years the way lumber, travel and RV/boat toys have. Also, the only one that didn't immediately start devalue or wearing away is the pavers. The wear is even better than concrete which cracks sooner than later.
My conclusion is, after a lifetime of obligation to family and community, I am at peace choosing my paver project. It hardly makes a dent in my bottom line, will improve my home value and won't depreciate over the years like other home improvement projects.

Some things mentioned do give me pause about BTD for my paver driveway and patio, especially the cost.

First, I would feel foolish to have LBYM and the just die with a large balance. What is the point of doing that? So, if the point of accumulation is to enjoy it, then that requires some thought on what would give me pleasure...

Right.

I can afford many things, but only spend money on things that I know for sure that I will enjoy. I am not going to spend money on something just because I read or hear that somebody else gets great joy out of it.

I have limited space left in my 2 homes. I don't have room for any more toys, particularly the ones I will not enjoy enough to spend the time to learn to use them. Examples, and I stress it's for me personally, include fast cars, photography equipment, telescopes, big TVs, etc...

Yeah, if you are happy and contented as you sit, then no need for more.

If you are one of those that "misses work because nothing to do", then you need more hobbies - :)

First, I would feel foolish to have LBYM and the just die with a large balance. What is the point of doing that? So, if the point of accumulation is to enjoy it, then that requires some thought on what would give me pleasure. I'm writing this while leaning against a rock while soaking bait fishing on a mountain lake where we've been camping the past few nights. It doesn't cost much but it is pleasurable as I listen to the wind and the soft quack of a mother duck to her ducklings as she spies me as she comes into view. I've done the caregiver thing for my father who had Alzheimer's and I've supported my children with home purchases and expenses when needed and appreciated. But at some time before I return to dust, I would like to BTD on something I don't especially need but think, "wouldn't that be nice?".
A deck, a boat, this paver project, trips, etc all were on the list, but only the pavers didn't jack up price over the past couple years the way lumber, travel and RV/boat toys have. Also, the only one that didn't immediately start devalue or wearing away is the pavers. The wear is even better than concrete which cracks sooner than later.
My conclusion is, after a lifetime of obligation to family and community, I am at peace choosing my paver project. It hardly makes a dent in my bottom line, will improve my home value and won't depreciate over the years like other home improvement projects.

Very well said. I sometimes think about all the money I have given away. I than wonder why at times I have to be so frugal when I would like to buy somethings for myself. Lol For example, I need to buy a few things to get my well up and running. The cost will be around 700 bucks. I'm not sure I want to spend that much to get it up and working the old fashion way. Be a lot cheaper to go with modern method.

I'm glad you are going to do your project regardless of the cost.

So I REALLY blew some dough. Our 10 year old Dyson vacuum cleaner ($900) which has been held together with duct tape for the last 5 years finally got to be a pain. Splurged and bought a $500 Shark pet cleaner vacuum. BLOW THAT DOUGH!! :dance:

So I REALLY blew some dough. Our 10 year old Dyson vacuum cleaner ($900) which has been held together with duct tape for the last 5 years finally got to be a pain. Splurged and bought a $500 Shark pet cleaner vacuum. BLOW THAT DOUGH!! :dance:

Hmmm... So your Dyson needed duct tape when it was 5-year-old?

Never had Dyson, but I thought it was a good brand. I have two lowly Hoovers, and they still work despite one being 30-year-old, and the other one 15.

Right.

I can afford many things, but only spend money on things that I know for sure that I will enjoy. I am not going to spend money on something just because I read or hear that somebody else gets great joy out of it.

I have limited space left in my 2 homes. I don't have room for any more toys, particularly the ones I will not enjoy enough to spend the time to learn to use them. Examples, and I stress it's for me personally, include fast cars, photography equipment, telescopes, big TVs, etc...

Gonna be a lot of disappointed Ad agencies reading this.:(

Well, if airliners get their act together before September, so that I don't have to postpone the month-long Europe trip that I already bought tickets for, I am looking at spending a 5-figure sum on this trip.

Well, if airliners get their act together before September, so that I don't have to postpone the month-long Europe trip that I already bought tickets for, I am looking at spending a 5-figure sum on this trip.

I'm counting on the airlines getting their act together after the summer crush is over - just in time for me to fly home! Let us hope and pray.

I agree with that, spend the money on things that make you feel good, don't die with money left on the table.

I was mostly commenting on contractor behavior, though they're not the only ones who've raised prices a lot in the last year.

You can look at restaurant menus that people photographed and uploaded to Google Maps and you see all these price changes over the years and even within the past year in some cases.

Maybe there is a lot of demand for contractor services these days and they can name their price.

Seems like it's not only people who are FI who are BTD these days.

Hmmm... So your Dyson needed duct tape when it was 5-year-old?

Never had Dyson, but I thought it was a good brand. I have two lowly Hoovers, and they still work despite one being 30-year-old, and the other one 15.

I've had a Dyson for about 5 years, paid $500 for it too.

It's so light and cordless, has strong friction, makes it easy to do stairs.

No duct tape but man once I cut my own hair during the pandemic and cleanup was easy with the vacuum but I noticed a lot of hairs stuck in the filter.

With pets, it must be really a strain on these things.

Paid for this little rig this morning. Waiting on a snow plow mount and should be delivered middle of next week. It's been 5.5 months since I ordered it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 11.28.37 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 11.28.37 AM.jpg
    955.2 KB · Views: 58
I've had a Dyson for about 5 years, paid $500 for it too.

It's so light and cordless, has strong friction, makes it easy to do stairs.

No duct tape but man once I cut my own hair during the pandemic and cleanup was easy with the vacuum but I noticed a lot of hairs stuck in the filter.

With pets, it must be really a strain on these things.

I wish we had BTD on our cordless vac. Ours is not Dyson but really does the job and is easy to empty, etc. But the weight placement is all wrong. After a couple of rooms, I have to rest my hand before going on. But I do like the concept. I may just BTD the next time Costco has one on sale. YMMV.

The rebar anchor points for my dock cables snapped off the sea wall last week. Put some temporary metal rods in the yard behind the sea wall and new cables as a stop gap.

Recommendations were for at least a 2’x2’ cube of concrete with galvanized eyebolts buried just behind the wall rather than dig it out and new rebar through the wall. Some dock companies said 3’, some said 4’ cubes.

After 4 hours of digging through the hard clay and hitting the rubble fill about a foot down I said screw it. Called the guy that two of the dock companies sub out to for exactly this type of work.

$3g and it’ll be done tomorrow. Probably would have cost me less than $500 if I had done it myself but who am I kidding. In this heat? Well worth it to me to avoid a trip to the ER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom