Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 350D (Diesel) got between 42 and 46 on the highway and 38 in town. But diesels are now in the USA's rear-view mirror ....... Sad days.

Yes, I drove diesels for 15 years when working oil & gas projects. Sad that they are in the rear view mirror. A few passenger cars equipped with diesels are still floating around. Lots of trucks too.

I am basing that 35mpg on my past experiences with 2.0T engines. My former 2012 VW CC was rated something like 25/31 and I easily got 35mpg out of it just driving sensibly. I even got 40+ mpg in it once on a 17 mile trip, albiet not highway. An another time got over 600 miles out of a tank of gas and averaged 36mpg with lots of highway. Again, driving the speed limit on the highway, avoiding using brakes and coasting when possible.

The C300 also has a 2.0T and I noticed that they don't derate the EPA estimate much (if at all) between the 4Matic and the rear wheel drive one. We'll see though, I'll post back here after driving it a bit.

Last edited:
My 350D (Diesel) got between 42 and 46 on the highway and 38 in town. But diesels are now in the USA's rear-view mirror ....... Sad days.
Long ago I had a Merceds 220D. It routinely got 40+ mpg. On long highway highway cruises with a brick for cruise control, closer to 50 Mpg.
My current Caddy CT6 (much dough blown to buy) around 4000lb weight ,around town 25 to 27 mpg.

Last edited:
Just booked a 7-day RCCL Greek Isle cruise for us and our DD, SIL, and 2 GD's. I have to give it to RCCL when children are involved. This ship has a waterslide, surfing simulator, rock climbing wall, and ice skating rink. The GD's and SIL will love these!

DD did not want a balcony cabin with two young children to keep an eye on. Somewhat miraculously, the ship has a couple of connecting ocean view/ocean balcony rooms, which we were able to snag. So we can easily put the girls to bed if the parents want a late night on the ship, adjourning to our own balcony in our connecting room once they go to sleep.

We will be driving to the departure port from their S Germany home, so no flying stress. We are all so excited.

About $6500 all in for the six of us.
Sounds like a fantastic trip & no airline stress!!

My flight is in 39 days .... and I probably need a covid test that morning. Will do at Safeway ($99) instead of county (free) just bc it's closer.

Blowing through dough this year:
1. New floors $6500
2. New sofa (comes Tuesday) $1705 on sale
3. 3 trips so far (FCC & $1000) -- Now I'm thinking about just taking uber to the airport. $92 vs $10. But less stressful

[emoji857] but are least I'm not buying a used car (DD)

Last edited:
I make a big deal out of Halloween for the neighbors and friends. Last year we had five 10x10 tents with two tents for food and drinks (beer, wine and shots for adults) one tent for candy and other treats and two tents for props. I just bought this prop, but now I am wondering if kids know who Frankenstein is?

https://distortionsunlimited.com/collections/props/products/the-monster-legend

I make a big deal out of Halloween for the neighbors and friends. Last year we had five 10x10 tents with two tents for food and drinks (beer, wine and shots for adults) one tent for candy and other treats and two tents for props. I just bought this prop, but now I am wondering if kids know who Frankenstein is?

Wow, I bet your house is THE Halloween house in the neighborhood. I hope folks chip in to help with the adult tents!

Wow, I bet your house is THE Halloween house in the neighborhood. I hope folks chip in to help with the adult tents!

We go to Costco in Palm Springs and pick up adult beverages at really good prices. Then hit up Costco locally for the beer and wine. We get almost as many adults as we do kids. It's a great neighborhood event.

We think we will throw a Saturday Halloween party for the immediate neighbors this year since we will have all the tents set up anyway.

WOW! Can I come over?? Sounds like a great evening for the neighborhood, and I bet many more from elsewhere! Word of mouth, you know?

We go to Costco in Palm Springs and pick up adult beverages at really good prices. Then hit up Costco locally for the beer and wine. We get almost as many adults as we do kids. It's a great neighborhood event.

If you don't consider beer and wine to be "adult beverages", it's no wonder your house is a big Halloween hit with all those kids! :LOL:

Purchased two Kevlar canoes, paddles etc. for our annual boundary waters trip.

Sofa arrived. Just need decorative pillows & lamp

So project that I started during lockdown (refinish kitchen, new cooktop, new floors, replace FR furniture) is almost done

Just dropped shy of $300 for (most of) this quarters pharma needs (for me!) This fall, I'm reviewing my options for insurance. One problem is that doc(s) keep changing stuff around which means last year's planning may be all wrong by the time the doc(s) make up my mind. YMMV

Sad! Now that I can buy just about any car I want, I just want a "good driver" that get's decent mileage. :( Oh, well. I live vicariously through the folks here. :cool: Thanks to all who are Blowing That Dough!

Sad indeed. I can relate to the feeling. Just bought 2 new cars - Audi Q7 and Acura TLX Spec and I’ve been feeling so guilty for having spent that much money on cars. It’s not a nice feeling especially when you’re trying to blow the dough and not hurting for money. It must be some deeply psychological issue from a lifetime of watching how you spend and invest.

On another forum I frequent, I am talking about renting a tractor to do some work on the new property. Some users are advocating for their 30~50K diesel 4x4 tractor investments as being all that and more, and I just don't feel it. I'd rather have an old farm tractor and a couple of implements, and rent some really nice new commercial sized equipment when needed. In that sense I am bad at BTD, but all too happy to BTd ( small d) on a nice rental when it is warranted.

I doubt that 35 MPG will be easily obtained as the EPA ESTIMATE for this MB is 23 city, 33 highway. Also, EPA does not have any data from actual users yet. With 4matic it will be tough to get that high. Premium fuel costs too! But a very nice ride.

My neighbor has had several MB's and currently has a 2022 GLE 350 4matic SUV and the best he can get is around 22 on the highway. It's EPA estimate is 26 highway. Much different vehicle than yours though.

But nice way to BTD!:cool:

Well took delivery yesterday and did 157 miles of driving today, a 100+ mi loop to a family event, and then another smaller loop. Probably 75% off highway driving, backroads, moderate hills, 30-55mph speed limits. Then some highway driving for 25 miles or so, some in 75 mph zones, setting the cruise control at 77mph. And a couple "play with the paddle shifters" floored pedal highway entrance ramp launches, and one "old person" power pass. A bit of really slow city-esque stop and go driving where I saw the mpg really drop.

Overall, the entire day of driving, the MFI reported 35.1 mpg average. Did a reset on the calc in another screen after the city type driving, last 110 mi saw 35.6 mpg. I was impressed. Lightly loaded car yes, but overall pretty efficient. I found that the C300 has a regenerative braking system (also to pull down speed going down hill under cruise control without down shifting) and one of the MFI screens show you your "bonus" miles under regenerative braking, I think it said bonus 49 miles.

A real joy to drive this one, even though our 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee is nothing to sneeze at either. Will be interesting to see what kind of MPG averages we get in long haul road trips this coming winter with a pretty fully loaded car. Most impressed, even on the test drive last week, was the steering response. I bet the lock to lock steering is small, it darts as steered when needed with almost no existent body roll, and we pushed it on off ramps 10-20mph more than what would normally feel "comfortable" and it tracked like it was on rails.

Attachments

• 20220725_121208[1].jpg
    20220725_121208[1].jpg
    889 KB · Views: 89
Well took delivery yesterday and did 157 miles of driving today, a 100+ mi loop to a family event, and then another smaller loop. Probably 75% off highway driving, backroads, moderate hills, 30-55mph speed limits. Then some highway driving for 25 miles or so, some in 75 mph zones, setting the cruise control at 77mph. And a couple "play with the paddle shifters" floored pedal highway entrance ramp launches, and one "old person" power pass. A bit of really slow city-esque stop and go driving where I saw the mpg really drop.

Overall, the entire day of driving, the MFI reported 35.1 mpg average. Did a reset on the calc in another screen after the city type driving, last 110 mi saw 35.6 mpg. I was impressed. Lightly loaded car yes, but overall pretty efficient. I found that the C300 has a regenerative braking system (also to pull down speed going down hill under cruise control without down shifting) and one of the MFI screens show you your "bonus" miles under regenerative braking, I think it said bonus 49 miles.

A real joy to drive this one, even though our 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee is nothing to sneeze at either. Will be interesting to see what kind of MPG averages we get in long haul road trips this coming winter with a pretty fully loaded car. Most impressed, even on the test drive last week, was the steering response. I bet the lock to lock steering is small, it darts as steered when needed with almost no existent body roll, and we pushed it on off ramps 10-20mph more than what would normally feel "comfortable" and it tracked like it was on rails.

Really nice! Beautiful interior! I'm impressed with the MPG.:cool:

Some users are advocating for their 30~50K diesel 4x4 tractor investments as being all that and more, and I just don't feel it.

Isn't it odd that expenses are now investments? Otherwise questionable expenses are now OK since they are an 'investment'.

OK, back to the topic.

I may blow more dough on a new mattress.

Last edited:
A really nice car @doneat54 - I used to drive a 2015 A-class. The C-class must be even more comfy!

I have just blown a good chunk taking my brother and his grown kids to Copenhagen for a few nights. Well worth the expense and I'm so happy I have dough to blow for things like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided it was time for a new car. 2022 Honda Passport Elite. I got $11,300 trade in on a 2012 CRV so I felt good about the whole transaction.

Attachments

• IMG_3660 (1).jpg
    IMG_3660 (1).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 325
Yep. You really did blow some dough! I sold my Wenonah hybrid kevlar several years ago. They make excellent canoes.

Yes - we've got an aluminum canoe 85 lbs, it is a beast to portage, especially when you have food and gear for 2-3 weeks. Although we won't save money on buying vs. renting, it will allow us effortless excursions.

The new canoes are 55 lbs and 46 lbs, so substantially lighter, but more sensitive to scratching. We've managed with one Minnesota 3 or a Minnesota 4 in the past, but my teenagers are getting too large to share a seat with the little ones.

We want to have some grandkids to spoil, but it does not look like we will have any.

So, enjoy yours. I am envious.

I wonder if I will have any, I have 30 yr old daughter just graduated from dental school and wants to build her career. She married and got a 9 year old step son that is now 12. I'm proud that she pushed her hubby to get custody, she turned the boy around from bad grades and missing lots of school to only one day from perfect attendance and all As and one B. I know there many days she wishes she didn't take on that project, but the boy is in a much better place now. I'm not sure kids are high on her agenda, no matter how much encouragement Mom throws her way. I also have an unmarried 28 yr old son, he's looking, but so far has had a failed engagement. But maybe it will come.

I am the poster child for producing grandkids past when my parents wanted them. My sister had fertility issues. My brother had a stepson, but his (ex) lost custody pretty early in their marriage (and years before their divorce.) I was the last hope and the whole love/marriage thing hadn't happened. By my mid 30's my dad was getting desperate. To the point he actually told me to go have a one night stand and get knocked up - didn't need to bother with the whole marriage/love thing. I rejected that idea, lol.

But at 37 I met my now husband, at 38 we were married. Had older son at 39, and younger son at 41. First marriage for both hubby and me... definitely later in life. And now we're juggling college expenses and retirement, but it's all good. My mom, unfortunately, passed before younger son was born, but totally doted on older son. My dad had a great relationship with both boys before he passed when they were 5 and 7.

So don't give up on grandkids.

That said - if a daughter isn't interested in pursuing children, that's her choice. My bff falls in this category. Fortunately for her parents her brother was a breeder - 9 kids with 4 women.

Fortunately my much younger brother married late and had children just about when I was old enough to be a grandma. DM had passed away long before leaving a big hole. None of the rest of us siblings had children, so it looked like a lost cause. DF was 81 when his first grandchild was born, and unfortunately really too elderly to enjoy the rambunctious young ones.

We very much enjoy our young nephews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom