Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple months ago I bought an entry level expresso machine. I've since upgraded it, for twice the amount of money and I upgraded to a new $900 coffee grinder that's dedicated to espresso, the Fellow Ode coffee grinder is another $300 for our coffee machine. Who knew coffee was BTD.

IIRC, the YMCA hotel had such views, but that's a 45 year old memory so possibly faulty. YMMV

Nah, the kids won't go for it. No sauna and no gift shop where they can pick out a daily ice cream treat from the freezer.:D

I did a projection of my 2022 taxes with my best estimates in TurboTax and it looks like even if I skip my last estimated payment and fill up the 12% tax bracket with a $20K Roth conversion I'm getting about $2K back. So, I finally pulled the trigger on this, which I've been eying for months, after they posted a 15% off sale.
Floral-Ruby-Scroll-Thin-Bangle-Bracelet--from-Greece-B26B2509_876x876_abb0ddca-63a7-4bb1-827c-8354c079538c_875x875.jpg

A couple months ago I bought an entry level expresso machine. I've since upgraded it, for twice the amount of money and I upgraded to a new $900 coffee grinder that's dedicated to espresso, the Fellow Ode coffee grinder is another $300 for our coffee machine. Who knew coffee was BTD.

I worked with a guy that going on the expresso stuff and before it was over, he dropped about $6K.

I rarely drink espresso or cappuccino to even think of owning a machine.

But in the recent Italy trip, I often stopped for coffee to keep myself awake, plus to relieve the bladder. Espresso was as cheap as 1.3 euros, but most often 1.5 euros. Cappuccino was 2 euros, bought and knocked down while standing up at the bar.

I bought a vitamix blender. My cheapie blender was producing lumpy smoothies. There was probably a solution between the one I was using and the Vitamix, but it sure is fun to use!

I worked with a guy that going on the expresso stuff and before it was over, he dropped about $6K.
Don't tempt me. I've been eying a 4k machine. I'm telling myself IF I still enjoy doing this in another year I'll upgrade again. The more expensive machines have way more stuff to fiddle with.

Very nice,

I'm glad DW doesn't read this site :LOL:

Thanks, all! This is the third item I've bought from them- it's made in Greece and the workmanship is exquisite but the markup over the value of the metal is pretty steep. I think of it as wearable art, not an investment.

Ron's not quite as old as me, but my first car cost $35.00. And it didn't run. I'll bet Ron's was way more expensive!:LOL:

LOL! I'm not sure my Oldsmobile 88 was worth very much, but it ran. I think Ron said, his new first car. I'll have to go back and read it again.

Nah, the kids won't go for it. No sauna and no gift shop where they can pick out a daily ice cream treat from the freezer.:D

I did a projection of my 2022 taxes with my best estimates in TurboTax and it looks like even if I skip my last estimated payment and fill up the 12% tax bracket with a $20K Roth conversion I'm getting about $2K back. So, I finally pulled the trigger on this, which I've been eying for months, after they posted a 15% off sale.
Floral-Ruby-Scroll-Thin-Bangle-Bracelet--from-Greece-B26B2509_876x876_abb0ddca-63a7-4bb1-827c-8354c079538c_875x875.jpg

Good for you! I will say that looks very nice.

LOL! I'm not sure my Oldsmobile 88 was worth very much, but it ran. I think Ron said, his new first car. I'll have to go back and read it again.

He did saw new, I must have missed that. Getting old sucks. :facepalm:

My first new car cost about $2,500 in 1968 (Chev Malibu).

He did saw new, I must have missed that. Getting old sucks. :facepalm:

My first new car cost about $2,500 in 1968 (Chev Malibu).

I never had a new vehicle till I was the age of 33 and married. My dad did help me pay a Chevy Nova that was just about brand new. I was in heaven with that car and I believe it was ~$2500 also.

I rarely drink espresso or cappuccino to even think of owning a machine.

But in the recent Italy trip, I often stopped for coffee to keep myself awake, plus to relieve the bladder. Espresso was as cheap as 1.3 euros, but most often 1.5 euros. Cappuccino was 2 euros, bought and knocked down while standing up at the bar.

Cappuccino or latte is about $4-5 now.

Plus you have to go down to the nearest cafe.

That is why people will bother getting at least something like a Nespresso.

But I think K-cups are way more popular in the US.

Ron's not quite as old as me, but my first car cost $35.00. And it didn't run. I'll bet Ron's was way more expensive!:LOL:

My first car was $150 - a little more than aja8888's, but my first new car - a '74 Nova was around $2800.

Back from the drive from Reno to Allentown, PA for DW's niece's wedding, then 5 days in the Finger Lakes, then drive back through Badlands and Black Hills. We were going to hike Friday to Little Devil's Tower and Black Elk peak, but Thursday was rainy and foggy and Friday was supposed to be cold and rainy, so we drove 1200 miles on Friday to Reno. We did about 700 miles a day except for the last day (shorter on the way back for hikes in the Badlands.)

3 weeks and about $2800, including $400 in wine in the Finger Lakes. DW's sister paid for the lake house in the Finger Lakes, since we drove out (we were going to pay halfsies). First big trip since COVID. Great hike in the Badlands, but we may go back to the Black Hills next summer on the way or way back from Glacier NP and do a couple hikes. I enjoyed the drive both ways; been a long time since we have been back East or even the Upper MidWest.

Don't tempt me. I've been eying a 4k machine. I'm telling myself IF I still enjoy doing this in another year I'll upgrade again. The more expensive machines have way more stuff to fiddle with.
The Nespresso machines are outstanding. We have a Pixie model.

Long ago we had a full plumbed in Espresso machine, the works. DH was quite the barista.

Back from the drive from Reno to Allentown, PA for DW's niece's wedding, then 5 days in the Finger Lakes, then drive back through Badlands and Black Hills. We were going to hike Friday to Little Devil's Tower and Black Elk peak, but Thursday was rainy and foggy and Friday was supposed to be cold and rainy, so we drove 1200 miles on Friday to Reno. We did about 700 miles a day except for the last day (shorter on the way back for hikes in the Badlands.)

3 weeks and about $2800, including $400 in wine in the Finger Lakes. DW's sister paid for the lake house in the Finger Lakes, since we drove out (we were going to pay halfsies). First big trip since COVID. Great hike in the Badlands, but we may go back to the Black Hills next summer on the way or way back from Glacier NP and do a couple hikes. I enjoyed the drive both ways; been a long time since we have been back East or even the Upper MidWest.

Nice Trip. Black Elk Peak is worth a return trip. I haven't hiked it since they renamed it; love that hike.

I bought a vitamix blender. My cheapie blender was producing lumpy smoothies. There was probably a solution between the one I was using and the Vitamix, but it sure is fun to use!

We love our Vitamix. It’s definitely BTD for a blender, but it’s a workhorse and does deliver the smoothest smoothies. We use it every day.

Last edited:
Nice Trip. Black Elk Peak is worth a return trip. I haven't hiked it since they renamed it; love that hike.

When I lived in the Black Hills we would hike Black Elk Peak at night when there was a full moon. The trail has a lot of mica in the rocks and it almost lights up under the moonlight. There used to be an abandoned ranger log cabin just before the top, and it was usually full of guitar playing people on those nights. Hiking that trail with a guitar is no simple task.

For those looking for new ways to BTD:

Not something I'm likely to try, but this was in an email from Hertz today, advertising their latest offerings. Something tells me it will have a bit of a premium on the rental rate.

I think I read somewhere that 900HP mustang will be $399 per day rental! BTD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom