BofA Alaska Air requires $6000 of spend 4 companion fare

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was recently traveling with a friend on Alaska Airlines. They mentioned a 72,000 point bonus for signing up with their BofA credit card, free 1st checked bag for each traveler, as well as the yearly companion fare which can be a great deal when flying to many locations. My friend was considering getting the card.

But..... It seems that the companion fair now requires one to spend $6000 on the credit card each year to qualify. Nobody mentioned that. It's there in the fine print. OOPS! Sorry. No deal.

Just a word to the wise.

Edited to add: From what I can tell if you had the Alaska CC before they made these changes last month you are grandfathered in to the old companion fare deal which had no yearly spend requirement.

Last edited:
It could still be a good deal if the card offers rewards (say, "miles" or "points") which amount to 1-2% cash back when redeemed. If so, that $6,000 spend would not cost you anything (or very much) compared to spending the same amount on another rewards card. Even if the BofA card only gives rewards amounting to, say, 1% cash back, it would still only cost you $60 compared to the Citi DoubleCash card. So for $60, you're getting a companion pass good for an entire year.

It could still be a good deal if the card offers rewards (say, "miles" or "points") which amount to 1-2% cash back when redeemed. If so, that $6,000 spend would not cost you anything (or very much) compared to spending the same amount on another rewards card. Even if the BofA card only gives rewards amounting to, say, 1% cash back, it would still only cost you $60 compared to the Citi DoubleCash card. So for $60, you're getting a companion pass good for an entire year.

Today's higher air fares give a boost to the companion fare deal.

Last edited:
So I went and looked. I have a Miles Account but don't use their credit card. The offer for the card is spend $3000 in the first 90 days after receiving the card and $6,000 a year after that. Points are available

"Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™. Get Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ from $122 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $23) each account anniversary after you spend $6,000 or more on purchases within the prior anniversary year. Valid on all Alaska Airlines flights booked on alaskaair.com."

"Earn unlimited 3 miles for every $1 spent on eligible Alaska Airlines purchases. (NEW!) Earn unlimited 2 miles for every $1 spent on eligible gas, cable, streaming services and local transit including ride share purchases. And earn unlimited 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases. And, your miles don't expire on active accounts."

OR you can save the annual fee and just join the Miles program. You earn points and can use them for airfare, or if flying domestic with enough points (10,000 or 20,000) the airfare can be reduced by $100 or $200.

IMO the Southwest companion deal is a MUCH better deal. They ran this special last year and they are now running it again.

We used it to fly many places last year, including Yellowstone and our recent Hawaii trip. It saved us TONS of $.

The offer ends 3/13/23 and the pass is good through 2/28/24. Contemplating signing up hubby for the card in his name this time, but I need a break from all of the traveling, lol!

This is a major shortcut to the normal requirements for earning the pass. Details on it here.

Back
Top Bottom