Bypass

Windsurf--congrats on your "second chance." You certainly did have angels on your shoulder that day. I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

If it makes you feel better, the ability to reach 10 METS during a stress test or exercise in general, is associated with a very low likelihood of a heart attack in the subsequent years. 10 METs is running at a 10 minute mile pace. Ask you cardiologist what maximal MET level you reached.

Rich,

A few weeks ago I started running on treadmill (SHOCK). I am now running twice a week for 30 mins at a time and doing 3 miles. Does running 10 minute miles for 3 miles equate to the equivalent of 10 METS?

I was wondering if, as I improve, it would be better cardio-wise to maintain the 10 minute mile pace for longer or try to increase the distance in 30 mins (faster pace).

Wow! You are one lucky Windsurfer! Congratulations and welcome back!

That is one of the reasons I had that test where they inject you with radioactive solution to see the condition of your arteries. I did this just before quitting.

I would recommend the procedure to anyone before retiring.

You are very fortunate such qualified medical help was nearby.

Uhhh.....there is a worldwide shortage of medical isotopes because an aging nuclear plant in Ontario has gone kaput. Unfortunately there are only 2 or 3 plants in the world that manufacture the raw materials for MIBI scans. So don't count on getting this test quickly in the near future. Sorry!

A few weeks ago I started running on treadmill (SHOCK). I am now running twice a week for 30 mins at a time and doing 3 miles. Does running 10 minute miles for 3 miles equate to the equivalent of 10 METS?

I was wondering if, as I improve, it would be better cardio-wise to maintain the 10 minute mile pace for longer or try to increase the distance in 30 mins (faster pace).
If your treadmill is accurate and you reach a 10 minute mile, you qualify as low risk assuming your EKG is within normal limits. Depending on your age and risk, I prefer 10 to 11.5 MPH (maybe 9 METS) for 45-55 minutes for general fitness since it causes fewer orthopedic problems with the same health benefits. This kind of stuff is best discussed with your internist or cardiologist since the final recommendation relates to the specific results on he stress test and/or your general risk profile.

Personally (just my preference) I run 55 to 60 minutes at a heart rate in the 130s (I'm sixty and fit). I don't track distance, just time and heart rate. If I focus on my speed or distance, all that testosterone toxicity/competitiveness starts to emerge and I push myself a bit too hard.

Pick the program that works for you and your health care provider.

Wow windsurf! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Rich,

I'm a runner not a MD but my advice is to mix up the distance and the pace.

IMHO the worst thing that you can do (except for not doing anything) is to do the same run at the same pace all the time.

I think that would also be the recommendation of most "running experts."

For example, if you are running two days a week, on one day you could keep the distance constant and gradually increase the pace and on the other day maintain the pace and gradually increase the distance.

The most important thing is to make changes (i.e. increases in speed and distance) very slowly to allow your body to adjust and minimize the chance of injury.

My "perfect" three day a week running schedule is:

- one day of track or hill intervals, say 6-10 400 meter repeats well into the anaerobic zone
- one "threshold" run of 3-5 miles at just below the anaerobic threshold
- one long run of 10-12 miles at a very easy aerobic pace

For a two day a week schedule for someone that is not interested in running competitively I would drop the interval day and adjust the mileage and pace on the other days to your own fitness level.

mb

In response to my "what happened," a rescue squad guy bellowed down, "Your heart stopped!"

And what a calming thing for the EMT to say to someone who has just had a heart attack.

Rich and mb,

Thanks very much for the feedback, very informative indeed. DW and I were just sitting having a drink and "2nd breakfast" after 90 minutes of tennis this morning and discussing this. She had exactly the same questions as myself as she is also now running on a treadmill so I have just been showing her the responses.

We find tennis about as aerobic as it gets as it involves heart rate at an aerobic rate for long periods with bursts of anaerobic rates during rallies involving lots of short sprints.

MB makes good points about running, especially for the more serious and disciplined runners.

I find that quite a few people just want to "stay in shape." Happily, most of the risk reduction benefits can be achieved at a surprisingly low exertion level, like a fast walk 3 or 4 times a week for half an hour or so. You won't reach a high level of conditioning or performance, but you will achieve lower lipids, weight loss effect, and other beneficial effects. Health-wise, it's diminishing returns as ypu go above that - some gain for more pain.

MB makes good points about running, especially for the more serious and disciplined runners.

I find that quite a few people just want to "stay in shape." Happily, most of the risk reduction benefits can be achieved at a surprisingly low exertion level, like a fast walk 3 or 4 times a week for half an hour or so. You won't reach a high level of conditioning or performance, but you will achieve lower lipids, weight loss effect, and other beneficial effects. Health-wise, it's diminishing returns as ypu go above that - some gain for more pain.

Great info - DW says "thank you very much :greetings10:". Her heart rate has always been on the high side so that staying in the aerobic range does not mean nearly as much effort as myself. (She has had a couple of treadmill tests over the last 10 years and no problem, plus regular blood tests are always well within limits).

Windsurf, you are indeed blessed. Best of luck in your recovery. :flowers:

I had some very minute and intermittent chest discomfort a few years back. It felt like someone was tapping very lightly on the inside of my upper left chest, near the collarbone. It happened rarely, maybe 3 times a year, usually at w*rk during some intense meetings. I do not have high blood pressure or cholesterol problems.
I mentioned it to my doc, who ordered a battery of screening tests. Everything checked out fine.
It didn't happen again until I was under extreme stress (w*rk and life). This time the doc got really serious and sent me to a cardiologist. More detailed cardio type tests, all passed with flying colors.
The cardiologist concluded it was stress induced and told me to learn to relax. :LOL:
I FIREd about 1 year later. Tapping sensation never happened again.

Sound like much ado about nothing? I now know my heart valve is OK, no arrythmia, no blockages, and my docs have baseline tests to use for later comparison if symptoms return.

I FIREd about 1 year later. Tapping sensation never happened again.

Sounds like your body was tapping and saying "hellooo, anyone in there? Time to retire .... are you listening to me?" :LOL:

Sounds like your body was tapping and saying "hellooo, anyone in there? Time to retire .... are you listening to me?" :LOL:
Exactly what went through my mind. And I listened...I would probably be able to safely say that is when I seriously starting looking at my exit options. :D

UPDATED: I forgot to mention my maternal grandfather succumbed to a fatal heart attack sometime in his late 40s or early 50s. I think that is why my doc did not mess around and got me tested, screened, poked and prodded. It was wonderful to know that there was nothing really bad going on.

Well, I am a little better than one month out from my "event." I am scheduled to start formal phase II rehab this week and that starts with a monitored treadmill test to establish a baseline. My wife, pooch, and I hiked for an hour and a half today. I feel like I could walk indefinitely but running will be a different story for awhile. Also, I am on a beta blocker for the time being. I am feeling pretty normal but am restricted from lifting heaviy weights until the sternum grows fully back together (8-12 weeks). It's a wonderful life!

My wife, pooch, and I hiked for an hour and a half today.

When I first read this, I thought, "his wife has an interesting name", but then I realized you are probably referring to your dog :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the update - so pleased to hear that you are progressing well.

windsurf, glad you are on the mend. I'm confused by your timeline thinking back to my open heart surgery. My recovery time was 8 weeks overall and I was back to golf after 10 weeks. Healing that sternum is the key. I was not allowed to sleep in a bed for three weeks for fear I would turn over on my side. I slept in a Lazy Boy for three weeks. They are afraid your sternum won't heal properly unless you are on your back. I had knee replacement two years ago and I thought the rehab on the knee was much worse than the open heart. Come to think of it, neither was any fun.

windsurf, glad you are on the mend. I'm confused by your timeline thinking back to my open heart surgery. My recovery time was 8 weeks overall and I was back to golf after 10 weeks. Healing that sternum is the key. I was not allowed to sleep in a bed for three weeks for fear I would turn over on my side. I slept in a Lazy Boy for three weeks. They are afraid your sternum won't heal properly unless you are on your back. I had knee replacement two years ago and I thought the rehab on the knee was much worse than the open heart. Come to think of it, neither was any fun.

I started rolling to my side to sleep a week or so ago. The discharge nurse said that was ok- but no laying face down. That's encouraging about swinging a club at 10 weeks. I see my surgeon tomorrow for the first post discharge visit and will have some questions for him as to lifting and rotating. My sternum only hurts when I sneeze! I was in excellent shape before the "event (except for the cardiac plumbing of course) and am trying to be as active as possible within common sense so as to avoid muscle atrophy. :)

Back
Top Bottom