Cable modem question

Attachments

• The 3-GEEKS-Yorkshiremen--image.jpg
    The 3-GEEKS-Yorkshiremen--image.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 38
Why would something run hot connected to a battery backup? And should it be running hot? My thinking is if it is running hot no matter where it is plugged I might as well have it on the battery....

By battery backup, I assume you mean an UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).

Most low-cost UPS's put out what is called a modified sine wave (MSW). This is a euphemism for a square wave that has less than 100% duty cycle, so that the peak voltage is +-163V like a true sine wave, and the root-mean-square (rms) voltage is 115V, again like that of a true sine wave.

But MSW is a square wave, not a sine wave. Some electronics get bothered by that, some don't. It depends on their design.

Recently, I was surprised to see some of the large UPS claimed to be Pure Sine Wave. Some Tripp Lite UPS are pure sine wave.

By battery backup, I assume you mean an UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).

Most low-cost UPS's put out what is called a modified sine wave (MSW). This is a euphemism for a square wave that has less than 100% duty cycle, so that the peak voltage is +-163V like a true sine wave, and the root-mean-square (rms) voltage is 115V, again like that of a true sine wave.

But MSW is a square wave, not a sine wave. Some electronics get bothered by that, some don't. It depends on their design.

Recently, I was surprised to see some of the large UPS claimed to be Pure Sine Wave. Some Tripp Lite UPS are pure sine wave.

Yes, UPS... it is CyberPower...

I would think that the plug not on the battery would be just like the wall and the unit is the same temp....

I have plugged it back into the UPS... lost power today for about 30 minutes and it worked great... had internet while waiting....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom