Can You Interpret These Land Survey Numbers?

It’s a good thought. And the survey drawings that we used to produce for state highways included a list of state plane coordinates that are easily translated to latitude and longitude. We could easily find or reset a monument if need be using published coordinates and survey grade gps with accuracy of about a quarter of an inch

Keep in mind that cell phone and handheld gps devices have accuracies of around 10-15’. Maybe accurate enough to help locate a monument if you had a good metal detector. But not accurate enough to determine if the monument found is exactly at the published coordinates. But future gps satellites and receivers should make what you mention quite feasible.

LgTfKgK

EPSON007.jpg

Here is a sketch showing the OP original information in a format more user friendly for the layperson. Solid lines are known information from the post, dashed lines are assumed by me. I am pretty certain the information was generated by a surveyor inputting the plat of record for the original subdivision of land.

The location of CP101 can not be determined by the information provided.

Ledbet

Thanks, LedBet.

Do you think that GPS devices accurate to a few inches will become available to consumers at some point?

They are widely available now, but not at a price laypeople would be willing to readily pay. For surveyors a 2 unit GPS system that does differential solutions in real time is $15-30K. A single GPS unit that requires a subscription to a reference network for real time solutions is less, but requires a cellular data connection and the reference net work fee. We use both on a regular basis at my former business and they have changed surveying in many ways, but are not the solution to everything. They still have limits due to ground cover such as trees/vegetation, and interference from building and such in urban settings.

There might be some notes in the data file that provide the location and orientation reference frame for the local coordinate system. Measuring numbered points from a common reference with a semi automated surveying rig would definitely generate such a datafile structure.

Back
Top Bottom