Career advice for young dreamers

Jay_Gatsby

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When I first joined this forum (roughly 11 years ago), I was a Young Dreamer. These days, I'm rapidly approaching "Middle Age Dreamer" status (I'll be 45 next week). However, I've collected a few career advice article links that I thought might be interesting, and perhaps a bit eye-opening. They're not your typical "What Color is Your Parachute" article. To the contrary, they speak in rather blunt - some would even say "selfish" or even Machiavellian terms - in describing how you can be successful. In any event, I'll let the articles speak for themselves.

Forbes Welcome

How rich people think differently - Business Insider

6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person | Cracked.com

6 Ways Successful People Stretch Their Comfort Zones | TIME.com

And I'll close out this posting with the lyrics of an old RUSH song (Anthem) that you can't really hear through Geddy Lee's shrieking, but are still good advice:

Know your place in life is where you want to be
Don't let them tell you that you owe it all to me
Keep on looking forward, no use in looking 'round
Hold your head above the ground and they won't bring you down

Anthem of the heart and anthem of the mind
A funeral dirge for eyes gone blind
We marvel after those who sought
New wonders in the world, wonders in the world,
Wonders in the world they wrought

Live for yourself, there's no one else
More worth living for
Begging hands and bleeding hearts will
Only cry out for more

Well, I know they've always told you
Selfishness was wrong
Yet it was for me, not you, I
Came to write this song

I loved your post, but I gotta tell you, the prize for the day has to be that I clicked on that article from Cracked and came across the TOTALLY NOT SAFE FOR WORK video posted there.

That little gem is going to make a couple of my friends' [-]day[/-] week! OMG. :cool:

So thanks for the unexpected bonus, Jay. Woo doggies that was a good laugh.

I loved your post, but I gotta tell you, the prize for the day has to be that I clicked on that article from Cracked and came across the TOTALLY NOT SAFE FOR WORK video posted there.

That little gem is going to make a couple of my friends' [-]day[/-] week! OMG. :cool:

Sorry about that. Should have warned folks. :cool:

Nah, no need, the author did a fairly good job of NSFW in the article. I just thought it was hilarious, honestly! And actually, the rest of the article, though disturbing to me in some way, really does make a point about what we get rewarded for in the world.

Nah, no need, the author did a fairly good job of NSFW in the article. I just thought it was hilarious, honestly! And actually, the rest of the article, though disturbing to me in some way, really does make a point about what we get rewarded for in the world.

I did warn you that the article(s) might be a bit unsettling. To be honest, I reacted the same way, namely, I was quite concerned that people actually thought/acted in such mercenary terms. However, I realized that this is, in fact, how most people think/act - they just put a veneer of politeness on their true motivations.

Young dreamers need to understand that a key aspect of FIRE is ensuring that: (a) you don't let others derail your dreams, and (b) you don't derail your dreams. The latter is more insidious than the former, simply because you just don't see it coming. Your own mind betrayed you by thinking limiting thoughts.

He makes a good point, though, about the surgeon. You don't want the nice guy who pays his bills on time, and calls his mother once a week, you want the GREAT surgeon. Period. And that's pretty reasonable in that setting. And now that I think about it, in many others.

You are right, I have friends who are just simply eaten alive by the workplace. They think that having their head down, being dutiful and showing up will get them where they want to be. When in fact, it is a set of skills that are completely different that will get them more of whatever they want. It is hard to explain, and I admit that I'd be uncomfortable even sending them that article, because it makes it seem so, well, mercenary, as you say.

Good reading though!

Sarah in SC - could we create a sticky in Young Dreamers with a collection of these and other articles? I know they don't address FIRE directly, but they are good career advice that will facilitate FIRE down the road.

Link? Can't seem to find it.

Back
Top Bottom