Cell Phones Overseas

We've been on Google Fi for several years, primarily because of the excellent international coverage. There's no fooling around with downloading or buying SIMs. Typically, we get a message like "Welcome to Italy. It may take a few minutes to get you set up." But it seems that it never does.

We have had several cases where we needed to call a local guide while we were still locked inside the baggage pickup area and he/she was on the other side of the doors. No opportunity to buy a SIM in those circumstances, so it's nice to just grab the phone and call. T-Mobile has come along with similar service now, so maybe it's as good. I don't know, but I won't do business with them for other reasons. Fi just works.

A couple of years ago they began a deal where every two years they send me a new phone and charge me $10/month for it. The 2-year old phone remains mine, so I can sell it if I like and get back some of my $240. Really good deal IMO. They also offer insurance for another $5/month. I presently have a Pixel 6a, received maybe 6 months ago. I used to buy our phones on CraigsList but this is almost as cheap and the phones from Google are hassle-free and new.

We have had several cases where we needed to call a local guide while we were still locked inside the baggage pickup area and he/she was on the other side of the doors. No opportunity to buy a SIM in those circumstances, so it's nice to just grab the phone and call. T-Mobile has come along with similar service now, so maybe it's as good. I don't know, but I won't do business with them for other reasons. Fi just works.
ew.
The Google cell service uses the T-Mobile network, and T-Mobile has always offered this smooth international cell service directly to customers.

Taxi and hotels do often have a WhatsApp connection, which is handy.

In years past, I had a cheap 2nd phone with a European cell radio (before the cell radio frequencies/protocols converged). It worked OK, but there was the visit to the cell phone kiosk in the baggage claim of the country I was visiting, and having to trust the seller to sell me something that was going to work. Usually it did, but it was something I didn't look forward to. Hopefully I'll land with Google Fi, and it will "just work".

I think you'll be pleased with Fi.
It should work fine in the countries you mentioned...

Last edited:
We have ATT at home. IIRC, it works throughout Europe and the Caribbean for about $10 a day extra. Talk, data and text. The daily charge is only if you actually use it that day. You don't have to do anything but turn on your phone.

Of course they'll make it easy for you, $10 a day is $300 a month.

It actually maxes out after 10 days, so max cost is $100 per month. But still expensive compared to other options.
Something like that would absolutely not work for us. When traveling we make very few calls, maybe one every few days. And we don't know in the morning whether we'll need to make a call today or not. So prepaying $10 for a slim possibility of needing to call would be a non-starter. Fi eliminates this.

Google FI works almost everywhere and makes it very easy.

I had some problems with my GoogleFi Sim on a recent trip to Columbia, Panama and Cost Rica. I spent 10 weeks Jan-March on a slow travel. Each time I moved locations, I would get strong signals and quick hook up, only to have data dump me off line each time I actually started using data. In each location it took 2-3 days for the problem to resolve and afterwards I had good data service until the next move to a new location.

T-Mobile has been really handy for Europe, and now even includes 5G high speed data per month overseas. Free overseas texting too.

I research a solution for each of my trips.

Generally, I buy a (relatively) local eSIM for my iPhone. That gives me a local telephone number so I can call hotels and other things in emergencies. That also gives me data to surf the internet. I don’t feel the need to maintain my USA number while abroad. People can reach me via multiple messenger apps if needed.

In September, my eSIM was from GiffGaff, a UK company. It worked well at all stops during my UK and Ireland cruise. In May I plan on buying the Orange Holiday Europe eSIM. It will have a French phone number and 20GB of data. It will work in all but one country of my upcoming Mediterranean cruise.

If I like it, I may use the Orange solution again in September for my Switzerland trip.

I usually pay $30-$50 per trip.

Really depends on how much voice and data you want to use overseas.

I try not to use any voice calls, which cost 20 or 25 cents a minute on T-Mobile though more and more places are asking for your phone number so I give it to them and sometimes they call or text.

They do have plans with international calls included.

But usually I ask if their number is on WhatsApp and they usually are so I only need to worry about getting data.

I'm going to Spain this month and they have screaming good deals on data right now.

For €15 Euros, you can get 100 GB to use for a month or 140 GB for €20.

With that, you wouldn't have to rely on hotel wifi, which is often unreliable -- slow or doesn't work sometimes.

Not all countries have competitive local prepaid data. Italy does but Germany doesn't, for example.

In the summer of 2016, T-Mobile let everyone have high-speed data roaming for some reason. I wasn't sure whether to trust it so I sought out a local SIM in Athens and the shops were out so I just kept using T-Mobile roaming data on that trip.

Now, 5 GB doesn't last long. One or two cycles of updating apps and podcasts use that all up. Usually I do use hotel wifi for this if I can't find a great deal on prepaid data.

I also shopped the eSIM deals. Haven't found any that offer as much data for as low a price.

So it is a hassle to get a SIM. You usually have to wait in line at the stores and show them your passport. Could be 30-60 minutes.

I can only hope at some point these major carriers will offer eSIMs for all their prepaid data bundles. But I think a lot of them have set up shelf space at stores, supermarkets, etc. so they're content to distribute physical SIM cards all over.

Each year, more people get eSIM-capable phones, even those which can install multiple eSIMs, though obviously only one is active at a time.

I rarely make phone calls from overseas as family uses FaceTime or iPhone messaging. And calls to/from US are free if you use WiFi calling which it happens we often end up with anyway. So we’ve had long trips overseas incurring no extra charges, or maybe one 0.25 charge. The only thing we would use for a local number for would be the occasional restaurant reservation, but we prefer to make a reservation in person, or using an online booking service, or even have the hotel make the reservation.

Texting is free from US or overseas to a huge number of countries.

The new included 5G of high speed data per month overseas is going to be more than enough for us. We don’t use streaming when traveling overseas.

I often get a couple of dollars charge here or there even though I never pick up calls from the US made to my T-Mobile number, never check voice mails.

I used to contact T-Mobile and get those charges credited but it's only a couple of bucks per trip so I stopped bothering.

I often get a couple of dollars charge here or there even though I never pick up calls from the US made to my T-Mobile number, never check voice mails.

I used to contact T-Mobile and get those charges credited but it's only a couple of bucks per trip so I stopped bothering.
Bummer. Never had that happen. I rarely get called anyway.

Probably spammers.... an extra cost when on vacation :(

After being in Canada for around 6 weeks, I got a message that I was using the [google FI] phone a lot outside the USA and the intention was it should be used mainly in the USA.

I'll admit, I signed up only about 2 weeks before our trip as I wanted to test it in the USA and mainly wanted it for the trip.

I ignored the text and continued to use the phone and it worked fine for the next ~10 days until we returned to the USA. No extra fees.

I did make a call as soon as were were in the States, to show I'm using it in the USA.

Similar experience here on a trip in the last quarter of 2022--but never before that. We'd been using data extensively in Argentina and Chile for about 6 weeks and received a similar message. Indicated that our data plan would be frozen outside of USA if we didn't use some data in the US within, I think, thirty days. Suggested getting a sim card... Luckily, we got home a day or two before the indicated deadline.

Had never experienced on prior 2 or 3 month trips--nor on any 1 month trip.

Couldn't get an answer as to what the precise trigger was. (We were on a two phone, unlimited plus plan, and have had Fi for over 5 years....)

Will be interesting to see what happens on our next international trip.

+1 for T-Mobile. Works great.

Before they offered high speed international data, I tried US Mobile data with an eSIM. Easy to install, but had occasional issues with network access.

If I didn’t have T-Mobile, I’d looked into GoogleFI.

+1 for T-Mobile. Works great.

Before they offered high speed international data, I tried US Mobile data with an eSIM. Easy to install, but had occasional issues with network access.

If I didn’t have T-Mobile, I’d looked into GoogleFI.
But GoogleFI doesn’t exist without T-Mobile. They are an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator).

Last edited:
But GoogleFI doesn’t exist without T-Mobile. They are an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator).

True for international, but they are not limited to T-mobile coverage in the US. At least for now, US cellular is still available for no-charge roaming. https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/go...us-cellular-leaving-t-mobile-as-last-network/

Was interesting back when DW had verizon and I had Fi to compare signal coverage. The USCellular rural network meant that it was seemingly a coinflip as to which phone was more likely to have service.

Now that Sprint is gone and USCellular is on the way out, we may need to start examining a pure TMobile approach.... Didn't know that until after I read your post, so thank you!

Now that Sprint is gone and USCellular is on the way out, we may need to start examining a pure TMobile approach.... Didn't know that until after I read your post, so thank you!
Sprint is not really gone, they merged with T-Mobile which means combined resources and together have twice the 5G spectrum AFAIK, and the former Sprint CEO is running the show at T-Mobile.

Google Fi Ditches Another Mobile Network, Leaving Only T-Mobile
Ha ha, so I was accurate!

Last edited:
Sprint is not really gone, they merged with T-Mobile which means combined resources and together have twice the spectrum AFAIK, and the former Sprint CEO is running the show at T-Mobile.

{Fi ditches USCellular, leaving only TMobile}

Ha ha, so I was accurate!

Nah, at least for now, the USCellular network remains available to Fi customers for free roaming connections. But, the clock is ticking, I'm afraid. And yes, sprint merged into T-mobile, but from a customer perspective, when looking at Fi v. TMobile, Sprint disappeared as a comparative advantage for Fi....

While we try to use WhatsApp as much as possible when overseas, we have used the Verizon $10 a day plan, and it works for us. We have turned off cellular on at least one of our phones during particular days overseas and were not charged for those days. It is not the cheapest option, but it is simple and we choose to go the BTD route in this area :).

Understand. I was saying if I was looking for an alternative provider, I’d consider GoogleFI.

Lots of companies piggyback on T-Mobile’s network and depending on your requirements, can be more cost effective.

I’ve posted previously abt an ongoing problem I I am having with Verizon when using them overseas for cell phone coverage. How does everyone else handle overseas cell phone coverage? I don’t remember having this problem or paying as much as we did on any previous trip. I’m not sure what changed with Verizon, but I know I am going to be changing from Verizon!

I'm curious what problem you are having. I have had the Verizon international plan for many years and the coverage has always been beyond excellent. Cost is $10 per day that you use the service overseas and my regular plan comes with 5 free days. If you have not signed up for the international plan then yes, it gets expensive.

I have used the plan in several European countries as well as Japan.

+++ positive on T-Mobile. We have used our TMO coverage in Africa, Mexico, Costa Rica, and multiple European countries absolutely trouble free and as advertised (zero extra fees for data, and minimal charges for voice calls that are not via wifi - we do most international voice with wifi calling or WhatsApp anyway) I am a 100% satisfied customer and recommend T-Mobile highly! No domestic issues either.

Understand. I was saying if I was looking for an alternative provider, I’d consider GoogleFI.

Lots of companies piggyback on T-Mobile’s network and depending on your requirements, can be more cost effective.

I looked at GoogleFi.

Their Unlimited Plus plan is $40 a month and has unlimited data for overseas. They will also give you a free data-only SIM for an iPad as well.

But they throttle after 50 GB, used by both devices. Or just your phone if you only use one device and hot spot to other devices.

Tempting to try but like I said, some countries have really competitive data rates.

I will spend €15 or €20 in Spain for a Vodafone prepaid data SIM and get either 100 or 140 GB of data, so about half the price for double or almost triple the high speed data of Google Fi.

And Vodafone supposedly includes 5G on their prepaid data bundles, though it's unusual in doing that, most major carriers in Europe are reserving 5G for their post-paid customers for now.

It will be interesting to see if T-mobile international data roaming includes 5G yet.

I'm curious what problem you are having. I have had the Verizon international plan for many years and the coverage has always been beyond excellent. Cost is $10 per day that you use the service overseas and my regular plan comes with 5 free days. If you have not signed up for the international plan then yes, it gets expensive.

I have used the plan in several European countries as well as Japan.

It may be good if you use relatively little data.

But it would be interesting if you went over 5 or 10 GB in a given day, whether it's truly unlimited.

But they throttle after 50 GB, used by both devices. Or just your phone if you only use one device and hot spot to other devices.

Unless you are using your phone full time, streaming all day long, etc., it's extremely hard to use anything close to 50gb.

We have FI full time and at home with the 2 of us - normal casual use, maps, checking email, texting - it's hard to go over 1 gb per month. Sure, when traveling, we'd use more maps and have less time on wifi, but when I'm away I'm not trying to watch movies that much, and not on my phone/tablet.

Back
Top Bottom