China

Signup WeChat with help from someone who has WeChat

This is a recent video, showing you how to sign up Wechat. It appears you will need to provide a QR code to someone who has Wechat and let that person enter your phone number. Your Chinese teacher should have WeChat.

I'm trying to figure the money part out in fact! I tried downloading WeChat but can't sign up. Apparently you need a Chinese SIM card, but I've got the new iPhone which has e-SIM...

This is a recent video, showing you how to sign up Wechat. It appears you will need to provide a QR code to someone who has Wechat and let that person enter your phone number. Your Chinese teacher should have WeChat.

Thank you. Apparently you need a Chinese bank account though. Still researching…

Thank you. Apparently you need a Chinese bank account though. Still researching…
Both WeChat and Alipay can link to foreign credit cards. My friend recently did. There might be 3% additional transaction fees.

I have had WeChat for well over 5 years. I don't recall how I signed up or if I linked anything to anything. I have some friends in China and I used to visit quite often, up until Covid. I certainly do not have any Chinese SIM card, CC or Bank account. I don't buy anything on Wechat.

Both WeChat and Alipay can link to foreign credit cards. My friend recently did. There might be 3% additional transaction fees.

I’ve tried signing up but it won’t let me. Maybe I need to be in China to do so?

Just came back from a 52 day trip to Asia, including 28 days in China.

Currently, the Chinese government is not friendly to Americans. I was stopped at the immigration point and was asked many questions to fill out a form, including my driver's license number, my cell phone number, my US political affiliation, my opinions about many political and social problems in the U.S., etc. I was also stopped when exiting China, but just for some additional check by their supervisor.

Some Chinese people are also hostile to Americans due to the every day on-going negative comments about the U.S. on their national TV news programs. If you understand Chinese language, you will hear that they openly talk about future wars with the U.S. on buses, trains, or at tea shops.

You have to be careful about whom you will meet, and what you will say. China just passed a law related to National Security (spies) which may create unintended problems for innocent U.S. travelers, and/or for the Chinese person(s) whom you meet with. Some ordinary people are out there looking to catch "spies". China is moving to the direction of North Korea.

While I admit it borders on irrational fear, this issue has kept me from going to China and it only seems to be getting worse. I was one of the people whose information was leaked when our government was hacked about 10 years ago. I previously held a top secret security clearance for a job I left almost 20 years ago. But I would not be at all surprised to be "talked to" by Chinese authorities. I have known plenty of people who have gone there without issue including my own mother.

I do plan to go there in the next few years and make a concerted effort not to post my opinions about the CCP or China on forums and social media.

The other thing I have noticed in researching a possible future trip is that many packaged tours explicitly advertise "no shopping." From what I can gather, some tours have you spend about half your time at their "curated" vendors. The same kind of crap happens here in Hawaii but just something to be aware of.

A friend of mine from Europe is moving there for work in about a month so I expect to be visiting him in the next few years.

I do plan to go there in the next few years and make a concerted effort not to post my opinions about the CCP or China on forums and social media.

The other thing I have noticed in researching a possible future trip is that many packaged tours explicitly advertise "no shopping." From what I can gather, some tours have you spend about half your time at their "curated" vendors. The same kind of crap happens here in Hawaii but just something to be aware of.

Always a good idea to keep one's opinions to oneself. Kind of a universal traveling rule not just limited to China. At least until you're back home.

I've seen "curated" vendors go both ways: some are dishonest, in cahoots with the tour company and some are "less dishonest" where the tour company is trying to protect you from the former.

It can be scary to be ordered to "leave all your money on the tour bus with the driver" until you step off that bus and are swarmed by a dozen "vendors" demanding that you buy something. Then you get it!

In China they'll practically attack you as you get out of your cab, offering all kinds of merchandise, parroting English words. I usually just say: "sorry, no English " which tends to confuse them enough for me to escape.

Last edited:
I’ve tried signing up but it won’t let me. Maybe I need to be in China to do so?

I personally registered with a WeChat account years ago.

Have you tried to install Alipay and link a credit card from it?

Last edited:
Stay in the better hotels: Four Seasons, St Regis...trust me on this and they're not expensive like they are here. Cheap hotels can be.....iffy. Have your hotel write out the name of your destination for the cab driver (but I've had a few who couldn't read) and keep a business card of your hotel with the address so you can get back.
I will second this advice. It was given to me during my one and only trip to China and proved useful. I hope you have a wonderful adventure.

Stay in the better hotels: Four Seasons, St Regis...trust me on this and they're not expensive like they are here. Cheap hotels can be.....iffy.

You'll have a great time.

I will second this advice. It was given to me during my one and only trip to China and proved useful. I hope you have a wonderful adventure.

Funny story: Once, somehow I ended up up in one of those "iffy" hotels. At check-in they gave me a key, a flashlight and.....a rat trap. Flashlight? Because after 11pm they turned out every single light in the hotel...hallway, lobby, everywhere. There was a big sign in my room: "do not open your door to anyone. If we need to speak to you we will call you on the telephone ". One night was enough and it was back to the Four Seasons. ( And the guy who sent me-his boss- to the first place...well, he won't do it again)

Again, be sure it's a high end western hotel.

I’ve found Marko’s travel advice to be top notch. He’s clearly an experienced traveler.

Funny story: Once, somehow I ended up up in one of those "iffy" hotels. At check-in they gave me a key, a flashlight and.....a rat trap. Flashlight? Because after 11pm they turned out every single light in the hotel...hallway, lobby, everywhere. There was a big sign in my room: "do not open your door to anyone. If we need to speak to you we will call you on the telephone ". One night was enough and it was back to the Four Seasons. ( And the guy who sent me-his boss- to the first place...well, he won't do it again)

That’s funny. Now, that is. I’m sure at the time you felt differently.

I’ve found Marko’s travel advice to be top notch. He’s clearly an experienced traveler.

Why, thank you!

Yeah, racked up 4,000,000 air miles over 30 years and loved every minute. Lots of memories and crazy stories. Mostly Europe and Asia.

My company had a "policy" that the locals had to take you out at night and over weekends. They knew where all the good stuff was away from the tourists. Saw more things than most people even know existed. Someday I'll submit a story here about the "bus bar" in Yokohama (no, it's not on any map or Google search)

Last edited:
OP here, just back from the mainland & updating in case others are thinking about making the journey.

First off, it was a really easy and enjoyable trip. The food was incredible, and the speed with which you can get around is fantastic. This was my 3rd trip to China, the first in 1990 and the second in 2008. Since then the country has literally exploded with excellent infrastructure and technology; also the people are noticeably different culturally now, i.e. flattened by the internet (like everywhere).

Food was cheap, as were hotels and high speed train tickets. Second class train tickets were about $12 for a 2-3 hour journey and were totally comfortable. First class were double the price and somewhat better for longer trips (as long as I got the window or aisle in 2nd). I took business class once due to the others being sold out, and it cost $33 for an hour ride but was definitely not a 3x experience over first (they brought slippers and some junk food in a box). I took the advice Marko and others gave me and stayed at the Sofitel for a couple nights for $150/night, and also had a 5-star lunch at the Four Seasons in Hangzhou for under $100. Both were amazing deals. Most other hotels were $40-60/night and all very nice, comparable or better than a $2-300/night room in the US, and they all included (good, healthy) breakfast. My last 2 nights in Shanghai were another splurge for $200 in a very nice business hotel close to the airport and train station, which made for a convenient day trip to Hangzhou and easy access to my morning flight out. Defiantly worth it.

My full route went from Shanghai to Zhangjiajie National Park (extraordinary), then Guiyang and three "minority villages" in Guizhou province, on to Chongqing and Chengdu, then to Xining where I caught the overnight train to Lhasa for a week long tour, then back to Shanghai/Hangzhou before heading home. I haven't calculated how many miles all that was, but it was a lot! China is huge and I spent a good amount of time on trains & planes to get all that way.

Tibet was the most interesting part of the trip culturally, as it's still developing and has a rich Buddhist tradition that is still palpable. There is some very old remnants of architecture and art, but the majority of the places I saw have had to be rebuilt, but done well I guess (not having seen the originals). Tibetan food was the least interesting on this trip, but not terrible. Yak is lean and actually pretty tasty, like buffalo. I didn't much like the savory breakfast tea. The landscapes are really wonderful, and the sky a gorgeous, bright blue when the sun's out.

I can't say I'd go back to China in July since the weather was brutally hot in most places. My biggest complaint beyond summer heat was the sheer number of people and crowds. But what did I expect with over a billion inhabitants?? I was greeted warmly by virtually everyone, and even in a city as big as Shanghai people were friendly and very helpful. I had zero incidences of negativity from anyone, more often I was asked to pose for a photo with strangers for (their) fun.

The WeChat/Alipay issue was never resolved because I don't have a Chinese bank account, so everything except high end hotels had to be paid in cash. Generally that wasn't an issue, except in a couple taxis where--luckily--I had exact change. ATM's were not that convenient since all but Bank of China rejected my card. So that took a little planning ahead, but was manageable. T-mobile linked right up with the local carrier, and there's Wifi everywhere, so communication back home was no issue. iMessage worked great, but Apple Maps only sort of worked--mainly because the data over cellular wasn't great. I had a VPN and used it sometimes, but could often access US sites without it. I'd still suggest having VPN, however, as I did need it a few times.

Any concerns I had about the authoritarian issue quickly vanished once I got through immigration. As a city Shanghai is about as "American" as you can get in terms of rampant consumerism, shopping malls, luxury brands, fancy coffee, etc. The rest of the country (except Tibet) was mostly the same from what I saw. If anything, my impression was "we've already won the war" on the hearts & minds. Obviously things can change in a heartbeat and the CCP is real, but at the moment the culture there is very much the same as the rest of the world, i.e. all about consumption! In speaking to people, they have all the same average daily concerns everyone else generally has as well, so other than the food & language and some fringe cultural differences, I felt I could be just about anywhere on the planet.

Despite that, there is some heightened security. The tour in Tibet was officially necessary and going there required a special permit, arranged by the tour company. My traveling companion was questioned when she entered China, as per a couple comments in this thread. They basically wanted to to know where she was going, why she came, etc, but after that interview nothing. I once went to the UK for work and received a far harsher grilling. I personally had zero contact with anyone in charge in China, and the police I did see were pretty friendly. I did have to show my passport every time I get on/off a train or cross county/municipal lines with the Tibet tour, and there were a lot of cameras everywhere. I also noticed a lot of cameras on the roads where they photograph cars coming & going, so yes a fair amount of surveillance. But when I came back to the US I found that border control no longer even looks at passports now and has switched entirely to facial recognition, so I'm not sure we're doing any better in terms of privacy these days. Generally I felt very safe there.

If anyone is considering a trip there, I'd encourage you to go for it. It's a fascinating country and the food alone is worth the long flight! Any questions feel free to reach out.

Interesting story. Could you tell me in what city?

Glad you enjoyed it! China and India both change so fast that it's interesting to go there every 10 years or so and discover a brand new country every time.

I'm pretty sure it was Wuxi but it was 25 years ago so I could be wrong. I tried to never stray too far from my 5 room suite at the St Regis in Shanghai. ($238 a night with a personal butler included)

I was only there one or two night but that was enough.

Back
Top Bottom