Cholesterol Risk Formula

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have tried to find the old thread where there was a formula for rick levels. You divided a result number into a result number, and you should come up with a number between 1-4. The higher the number I believe was a higher risk level.

Does anyone know what the formula is? In the past I have used that formula and been under two.

Thanks

The way medical science keeps changing, I would recommend you do it in pencil. :LOL:

LOL!!!
True, today it's good for ya, tomorrow it isn't.

Well, looks like I'll live for evah! LOL

Calculated out to 1.48.

Calculated out to 1.48.

Congratulations!
My average over the last ten years has been 1.1, but sometimes as low as 0.6 so I feel pretty good about that.

This ratio is regarded by many as the most important, but different doctors have other measurements they feel are at least as useful. We'll never know which one is right.

Congratulations!
My average over the last ten years has been 1.1, but sometimes as low as 0.6 so I feel pretty good about that.

This ratio is regarded by many as the most important, but different doctors have other measurements they feel are at least as useful. We'll never know which one is right.

Those are great numbers!!!

I have had pretty good results through the years, but one never knows what life will bring.

Thanks Braumeister and you will for sure live forever with those numbers. Lol

Those are great numbers!!!

I have had pretty good results through the years, but one never knows what life will bring.

Thanks Braumeister and you will for sure live forever with those numbers. Lol

I had good numbers too till I nearly dropped dead. Along with low BP and resting Heart rates in the low 50's. Happy Holidays & Best of luck in 2023 :)

LOL!!!
True, today it's good for ya, tomorrow it isn't.

Calculated out to 1.48.

Mine calculates to 1.47
My Primary does not believe in this concept as an indicator vs. the LDL number. She appears to be up to date with recent concepts, so who knows.

From what I have read the trig/hdl ratio is a better predictor of cardiovascular issues than straight total cholesterol or straight LDL cholesterol.

But, as we all know correlation is not causation. And the human body is constantly balancing how it regulates the various things it does. Cholesterol is a great example of this. We can't live without it, but too much of the wrong type can gum up the works.

Interesting. my ratio is .52. I am on medication, perhaps that is why my doc never raised cholesterol as a issue (my total has been between 200 and 220 for years). Also my brother the doctor says our family is predisposed to high cholesterol, so my levels are not a health issue.

Every surgery or procedure I have had in the last 20 years that looked at my blood vessels has found nothing, so far so good :).

Who knows any more what is good or bad. If we don't get enough cholesterol our body makes it. I'm not so sure if there is a clear answer for what numbers are good or bad. Everyone is different so maybe what fits one may not fit the other.

I'm going to my cardiologist next week. When I got my labs a few weeks back the cholesterol numbers were higher than before (I was eating a lot of candy). So I restarted a low dose of Atorvastatin. Over the next week my RLS (restless leg syndrome) went thru the roof. I didn't know there was an association but it turns out statins can reduce COQ10 which can exacerbate RLS. I dropped the statins and added COQ10 and the RLS disappeared.

My Trig/HDL ration is pretty good as is (1.37) and would drop further if I cut the chocolate. I will ask the cardiologist about the ratio next week.

I'm going to my cardiologist next week. When I got my labs a few weeks back the cholesterol numbers were higher than before (I was eating a lot of candy). So I restarted a low dose of Atorvastatin. Over the next week my RLS (restless leg syndrome) went thru the roof. I didn't know there was an association but it turns out statins can reduce COQ10 which can exacerbate RLS. I dropped the statins and added COQ10 and the RLS disappeared.

My Trig/HDL ration is pretty good as is (1.37) and would drop further if I cut the chocolate. I will ask the cardiologist about the ratio next week.

That would be great!! I eat too much chocolate also and too much sweat's all together. Blood worked good except my cholesterol is 220. It doesn't matter how I eat or what I do it is always right in that 220 mark. LDL, HDL & Trig always good for the most part and in the range, they are supposed to be.

Thanks

Yikes, my ratio is 5.4. It's been nice knowing me.

Last blood test was in April. Cholesterol 200, Triglycerides 212, HDL 39, LDL 119. Not stellar, but generally in the good ranges.

It's the HDL that does my ratio in. My HDL has been low my entire life. In fact, it's better now than it was in previous years.

Last blood test was in April. Cholesterol 200, Triglycerides 212, HDL 39, LDL 119. Not stellar, but generally in the good ranges.

It's the HDL that does my ratio in. My HDL has been low my entire life. In fact, it's better now than it was in previous years.

What I have learned, not saying it is fact, but Triglycerides is the number to be more concerned with. I haven't always been in desired range in the last 40 years of my annual blood panel results with Triglycerides.

I don't work very hard at eating a great diet but I have worked hard on eating less of all food they say are bad for you.

Chocolate and sweets are my downfall.

Many doctors would tell you that your trigs are high (under 150 is preferred by most), but also your HDL is borderline (should at least be over 40).

These sorts of things are easily corrected by dietary changes, so perhaps you should look into that.

My ratio is 1.13 but my total chol is over 200 and no one has ever cared. Doc says it is normal for it to be higher if you are hypothyroid. IDK.

Last edited:
My total chol has been over 230, and as high as 301, since I was in my mid 20's. Currently my HDL is 59 and my Trig is 100. Ratio is 1.69. Never been on any medication and am happy with my current state of health. FWIW, my Fitbit tells me I'm in excellent cardiac health for my age.

I've recently seen a few cardiac surgeons (of course maybe they weren't real cardiac surgeons, but played one on YT) suggest staying away from sugar and carbs in general as a means to stay off their operating tables. Added benefit is reduced weights which the joints will thank you for.

Last blood work my ratio was 0.32 with Trig 25, HDL 78, which is typical for me since going low carb a few years back.

Many doctors would tell you that your trigs are high (under 150 is preferred by most), but also your HDL is borderline (should at least be over 40).

These sorts of things are easily corrected by dietary changes, so perhaps you should look into that.

Just a few years ago, my triglycerides were over 280 and my HDL was only 30. So things have improved. I have cut back on sugar and lost more weight since my last blood test in April, so hopefully those numbers will continue to get better.

My doctor did an ultra sound on my arteries as part of my annual checkup. They are clean as a whistle. I never had an ultrasound as part of an annual checkup. Maybe he was just trying to get a few more bucks out of my insurance.

I'll need to keep an eye on this. I was able to control my cholesterol and Triglycerides through diet, but not anymore. I just went on a statin, so I'll have to see what it looks like after a month or so.

I'll try the dividing the two and see what I get!

I'll need to keep an eye on this. I was able to control my cholesterol and Triglycerides through diet, but not anymore. I just went on a statin, so I'll have to see what it looks like after a month or so.

I'll try the dividing the two and see what I get!

Exercise will have more of an impact than diet.

Back
Top Bottom