Christmas Present Food Recipes

Back on topic:

I've used the toffee recipe in Tightwad Gazzette - I have a friend who doesn't like dark chocolate, so I'll make it with milk chocolate and pecans - her favorite. Otherwise, I make it with pecans and dark chocolate or almonds or walnuts or cashew - it is better than Almond Roca and all who get it tell me they love it.

I also make assorted Xmas cookies from a sugar cookie recipe...with the KitchenAid mixer I spend about 20 minutes making dough - roll it up like the pillsbury cookie doughs, stick in freezer or fridge and then when ready take it out - slice the cookies and cook. I even have an awesome gingerbread cookie recipe - was from a newspaper clipping - sorry don't have quick access right now. You can do interesting things with the cookies, like cut the tubes in half and then mix and match to get have chocolate/half sugar cookies or half gingerbread/half chocolate. I've also made lemon and orange sugar cookies. Some recipes doll up the outsides by rolling in nuts or other things - I don't bother. They look good and, most importantly, taste good.

Lastly, I make fudge with chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk - again I'll add mini marshmallows and pistachios - get rave reviews every year.

All of the above are simple and quick to make - from 20-60 minutes of prep and cooking - cooling and packing take a bit more...as well as the cooker's tax :)

ok, back on topic...^-^...sorry, the 4 balls thing just tickled my funny bone.

ahem...i am actually going to make those cheese balls. i used to order them from a well known holiday treat mail order place (HF), but i will not pay the price anymore. mr. lincoln is crying again.

so who wants to be on my christmas list?
baklava
snickerdoodles
cheese balls

Today I went down to the specialty store and bought candied cherries, pineapple, lemon & orange peel and citron. Ma bought the dried fruit and nuts yesterday and I imagine about now Dad is cutting up shopping bags for brown paper to line the pans. Friday, we will make the fabulous dark fruitcake, adapted from a recipe that appeared in Good Housekeeping or Family Circle about 50 years ago. Can you imagine—they had a whole section in that issue with probably twenty or thirty different fruitcake recipes! The cakes will be kept in the cupboard and well soused in booze until Christmas, then sent off to those members of the family who are connoisseurs enough to appreciate it as it deserves.

When I was in college, I got to study for one year in England. My mother, heaven knows how, got all the ingredients and made fruitcakes on Halloween that year. She sent me one along with a Christmas present, but because it was sent surface mail it didn't get there until Lincoln's birthday. She must have poured half a bottle over it before mailing because even after 3 months of travel it was still moist and deeee-licious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom