Class of 2013

9 months to go but how to handle work

So, just nine months to go, but how do you step back from work that you were so emotionally involved with? Its hard for me to just say, screw it, I've just got a few more months. Instead of getting upset with things at work, I should now just be able to stand back and laugh at it - will that break happen from worry worry to giddiness?

So, just nine months to go, but how do you step back from work that you were so emotionally involved with? Its hard for me to just say, screw it, I've just got a few more months. Instead of getting upset with things at work, I should now just be able to stand back and laugh at it - will that break happen from worry worry to giddiness?

I think that "break" happens around the 6 month mark. I'm around the 6 month mark, working on the most exciting projects of my work career, and I really am not emotionally attached to work - I only have my eye on the finish line.

It is great to see so many people on track for an early retirement. We owe it to ourselves and to the young sprouts who need a good job.

Ditto John Galt. I'm in the same boat. Good luck to both of us on making our decision!

Thanks, Coalduck. Yesterday at work I was psyched and energized thinking ahead to Spring 2013 and retiring. I actually like my job pretty much, as jobs go. But I think I would enjoy being retired even more.

Thanks, Coalduck. Yesterday at work I was psyched and energized thinking ahead to Spring 2013 and retiring. I actually like my job pretty much, as jobs go. But I think I would enjoy being retired even more.

+1

Sitting at w*rk watching the renovations at the office (due to an ice maker going bonkers over a weekend) wondering if the ice maker could have only held out a little longer this would be someone else's problem. On the positive side it looks like I get to clean out my desk 6 months early. :LOL:

I'm starting to "feel" the ER juices starting to flow at a higher level and can imagine that they will continue to rise until SIRE date in March. :cool:

T-bird
Class of 2013
DW Class of 2012 (May, a done deal)

I've got 8 and a half months to go and I'm starting to have the doldrums. I've always pushed myself to make even the most boring task more interesting by trying to find some way to make it more creative or just do a better job. I'm finding it more and more difficult to do that.

As part owner of our firm, my employment contract specifies that six month notice be given to terminate the contract. I emailed the bosses today letting them know that I'm prepared to give them 6 months notice - unless they want to amend the contract terms. We'll see what happens.

I have 5 and a half months to go and I too am suffering the doldrums! I use to totally enjoy my industrial sales position; however, the growing lack of person-to-person contact and the switch to e-mail/text messaging vs. phone contact has taken the relationship part of the job away.

I enjoy the accounts who still answer their phones, who will take time to talk.. I cherish the accounts that will take time for a lunch meeting. I've grown weary of the newer generation that only sends e-mail and text, who are too busy to develop any type of professional relationship.

At 56; somehow, I'm the oldest of my group and can't ER soon enough!

I'm hoping the final two months get easier after New Years!

Still trying to figure out when to give my notice? I'm thinking 3 weeks before I plan on leaving is enough. Willing to stay longer if they ask. Hoping they don't....

7.5 month to go for me. I had been doing a pretty good job feeling happy at w*rk knowing the end is coming soon. But today was horrible and I ended up really stressed, overwhelmed, and in tears.

As part owner of our firm, my employment contract specifies that six month notice be given to terminate the contract. I emailed the bosses today letting them know that I'm prepared to give them 6 months notice - unless they want to amend the contract terms. We'll see what happens.

I have the same 6 months notice period which puts me in something of quandry - I want to exit on 30 June 2013 which means giving notice on or before 31 December BUT bonus decisions are made in mid-January and it is a near certainty that someone who has given notice will not get a bonus.

As a practical matter, I intend to wait until after bonus day, serve the six months notice and then ask if I can go early. I don't expect there to be any objections.

Not Supposed To Be Here

I was supposed to graduate with the Class of 2011, but got held back. Since early 2010, I'd been working on a program at a giant defense megacorp that was completely disorganized, assigned to a job in which I found absolutely no fulfillment. I turned 55 in late 2010 and was eligible to retire early with a DB pension after 33 years with the same megacorp. I planned my exit for 7/1/11.However, 3 months before my planned departure, I had an opportunity to move off program into a purely technical position where I would have no assigned responsibilties. Instead, I was to provide technical expertise, mentoring, help, and oversight within my engineering speciality to whomever/wherever it was needed. In effect, I became a 'greybeard'. The new assignment also allowed me to go part-time. I enjoyed the new position and hours, and decided to delay my retirement.Last Friday, out of the blue, the megacorp announced that effective immediately, it would be soliciting applications for voluntary layoff at our division. Applications would be accepted for the next 30 days, but only senior managers or equivalent could apply, and it was anticipated only the first 75 applicants would be accepted. Notification of acceptance would be 11/2. Termination of employment would be 12/31/12. No sweeteners other than standard severance package of 2 weeks, plus 1 week/year up to 26 weeks.For me, it was a no brainer. I had been considering retiring on 7/5/13 (35 and out), but now had opportunity to exit 6 months earlier with a wad'o cash. I had my application submitted on the same day.So now I'm waiting to find out if my retirement starts 1/1/13, or 7/5/13. Either way, I'm now a member of the Class of 2013!

Last edited:
After emailing the bosses of my intentions to submit my 6 month notice, they asked that I create a want ad for my replacement. I did, and they are editing it, etc. Maybe they don't think I'm serious. Today I typed my resignation letter - tomorrow it goes in. I can't wait for April 1st.

Signed my last contract a couple of weeks ago. Last day of work will be 6 Aug 2013. :)

Talking back to myself

Okay, so I posted this a month ago and I have moved on - every day is just be happy the end is in sight - I have lost the emotional attachment - so it happened at the 7 month mark!

Throw, you seem to be doing fine. The best advice I can give you is to just let it happen to you. I still wake up some days and wonder at the fact that some boss-organization-bureaucrat-etc cannot threaten my financial security if I don't report to work. Very nice.

Just checking in on my classmates.... :)

I expect to have a heart-to-heart with my boss in about 2-3 weeks.

The toughest part will be, I really like and respect him. We get along extremely well and think alike on most topics. He respects me and relies on me for a lot. But things have never been worse (or more stressful) in the bigger picture and I just dont feel like I have the energy to fight the stupidity and egos any more..... I know he will understand - but he will be upset. Not angry - just upset.

I have my "last day at work" down to either Jan 31st or Mar 15th. We have a 2 week cruise in the middle of those dates....the question will be do I come back for a few weeks to finish up appraisals. I feel like it is the right thing to do. But every time something really stupid or political happens (which right now is every day) - and I try not to get worked up about it.... I fail. Clearly, I am not going to be able to "check out" emotionally until I am gone, which means Jan 31st looks better every day.

DH is going to find out in the next week or so if he is getting an "early-out" package. If he does, he may be getting through before year-end. Should that happen, I think Jan 31st is almost a given.

All else being equal, and if you have the time, I'd come back and finish the appraisals for your direct reports, and then go away for good. Others cannot give the people as fair a shake. Also, it will be remembered to your credit. Not as much as sticking someone else with the appraisals will be remembered to your discredit...but still.

Amethyst

J...the question will be do I come back for a few weeks to finish up appraisals. I feel like it is the right thing to do. n.

Definitely in 2013. Starting to shape up as either July or September. I put my house on the market this spring hoping it would sell before next spring. It sold in 11 days. The good news is my house sold. The bad news is I leased a townhouse for a year and am on the hook through June so I won't make my original time of May 1. When I retire, I'm outta here. I've got a cabin to build in Colorado before winter sets in.

All else being equal, and if you have the time, I'd come back and finish the appraisals for your direct reports, and then go away for good. Others cannot give the people as fair a shake. Also, it will be remembered to your credit. Not as much as sticking someone else with the appraisals will be remembered to your discredit...but still.

Amethyst

In principle, I agree with you completely. And then I go to work and have days like today and wonder if my sanity is really worth it :facepalm:

But I suspect my respect for my current manager will convince me to do the right thing.

47 "get up" days and 92 calendar days left. 32 years with megacorp, outa there at age 50.

Back
Top Bottom