Cobra dental - is there a waiting period

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know from old threads a lot of you don't take dental once it is not subsidized.

I am debating signing up for cobra dental $45/month mostly in the hopes it would eliminate the waiting period since I was continuously insured. (I won't have paperwork on this until next month to check). Is that even a thing? Is it better to skip cobra find my own? Use cobra until it runs out? Try to make sure there is no gap? Give up and hope for the best?

I would have said I had fairly good teeth a few years ago but they seem to be failing fast. . .

Last edited:
Cobra is a continuation of your existing coverage so if you've already met the deductable then you should be fine but that's certainly a good question to ask HR.
I took Cobra the year I was laid off since I was in the middle of dealing with a broken tooth and waiting for my new bridge. I also had a crown replaced that year that was about 20 years old.
I have not coverage for the last couple of years.
If you're due for your check up get it done now before you're laid off and talk to your dentist about what they offer to clients with no insurance.

I debated the same when I retired in December 2021.
I decided to go ahead and get the dental for at least 12 months and then decide for the remaining 6 months.
Well I was really glad that I had my dental insurance last year. I tripped, fell, and broke a tooth.
Luckily I just needed to have it capped but my insurance paid 50%.
Then, about a month after it was fixed a piece of my back molars broke off when I was eating granola. It had a large filling and had apparently cracked and then of course eventually broke.
It also only needed a cap. Insurance paid 50%.
So between those 2 crowns/ caps and the semi annual cleanings I came out ahead last year.
I have 5 months left of my 18 months and intend to go ahead and keep it at least through my next cleaning appointment in May.

There was no waiting period at all. It’s really just the plan that you had through your employer, you are just paying the entire premium.

Okay. Yeah I have an appointment coming up before end of month. But afte cobra ends I'd have the same decision to make.
It is 3 times as much to do cobra as it was to be employed. . .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom