Comforting Dreams of those passed away

I had a comforting dream of my dear friend. Perhaps it was because yesterday was almost exactly one month since she passed away. The dream was simple. In it, she was beside me (without any of the hospital life support hookups). We said to each other that we missed one another. We held hands and gave each other a hug and wished each other well. The feeling (vibe) I had in the dream was as though she passed on and was checking in on me from heaven, which was comforting. She's still on my mind much. That's true especially when I see something like a new TV program and almost forget and want to call her up and tell her about that. But time does have a way of easing the pain.

Last edited:
I had a comforting dream of my dear friend. Perhaps it was because yesterday was almost exactly one month since she passed away. The dream was simple. In it, she was beside me (without any of the hospital life support hookups). We said to each other that we missed on another. We held hands and gave other a hug and wished each other well. The feeling (vibe) I had in the dream was as though she passed on and was checking in on my from heaven which was comforting. She's still on my mind much. That's true especially when I see something like a new TV program and almost forget and want to call her up and tell her about that. But time does have a way of easing the pain.

What a nice dream that must've been, easy surfer. Sounds very nice and comforting to me.

omni

My dad died on June 4th, 2010. In fact, today would have been his 61st birthday. I've had two dreams of him, within a couple months of him dying, that felt so real.

In the first, my mom, dad, brother, myself, and our church's old youth pastor (and wife) were all gathered in a circle at our church holding hands and praying. The pastor was praying, but I could hear my dad sort of praying to himself at the same time and whispering. I was standing next to him holding his hand. I don't know what he was saying, but it was a very comforting dream. That old youth pastor moved to France, but flew back here to speak at my dad's funeral. It meant the world to all of us.

The second dream was set in my parents living room. My mom, brother, and I were all sitting out in the living room talking and then my dad walked in and sat down. I've never been in shock before, but in the dream I was. I remember looking at him and I couldn't even utter a word. I finally ran over to him still fumbling for words as I couldn't believe he was sitting there in front of me. He acted like it was so weird and I looked around at my mom and brother and they weren't sure what I was doing. I know I said things like what are you doing here, how is this happening, and similar comments. I was so unbelievably happy that he was there. When I woke up, I couldn't keep the tears out of my eyes.

It's amazing the amount that I think about my dad each day. He's been gone a year and a half, yet there's never been a day that I haven't spent time reminiscing about my time with him.

The images of those dreams are still crystal clear in my memory. I don't think they will ever fade. Fortunately, I was very, very close to my dad and was able to spend a lot of time with him over the years.

Last edited:
My dad passed away in September last year. I dreamt about him almost every week for 3 months but can never recall what specific events happened in the dreams - just that he was in my dreams and he was not suffering. Lately, I haven't dreamt about him - I wonder why eventhough I still speak to him (not that I see him, just casual speaking like "I hope you are fine and happy, dad" ) before I sleep.

A lot of very high quality people posting to this thread. It is comforting just to read of your experiences.

Ha

I woke up to a comforting dream of my friend this morning. It's been a little over two months since she passed away. Overall, I've been doing okay. To grieve at my own pace. That is, taking time out for reflection and memories, yet also, to not be paralized with grief too.

Yesterday was a bit of a struggle. I've been gathering stuff to donate to Goodwill over the past couple of months. Yesterday in my closet was a box of old presents my friend had given to me over the years. Seeing all the stuff was somewhat sad knowing that the gift giving to each other will never happen again. That's part of the challenge I think when we lose someone. The challenge of when and what to let go of and what to hang on to.

The dream I had was very short. Upon waking up, I dreamt that she was with my mother (who passed away back in 1994). In the dream, they had become friends over on the other side. After I see my friend and us giving each other a big welcome hug, she says to me, "I'll always be a part of your heart." That reassures and comforts me as I wake up.

Last edited:
My mother visited me in a dream a couple weeks ago. Instead of the 78 years at the time of death, mom was around mid 40's and very lovely. She woke me up and I couldn't believe she was there. I kept telling her to hang on, that I wanted to wake up DW because no one was going to believe me that my mom had come back from the dead. She told me there wasn't time, that she just wanted to stop by and say hi. She said 'they' were on the way to go get Bill. I looked behind her out the window and there were several people I recognized. All dead now. I woke up and didn't think a whole lot about it until later that day when my dad called to tell me his brother, my Uncle Bill had passed away very early that morning. He had been in the hospital for several days fighting a respiratory complication. I had no idea he had been ill. He was 75 and always seemed healthy. He was 5 years younger than my dad, who is 80 and going strong.

I went to his memorial service and thought about telling my cousin, Uncle Bill's son, about my dream, but didn't...

Last edited:
My mother visited me in a dream a couple weeks ago. Instead of the 78 years at the time of death, mom was around mid 40's and very lovely. She woke me up and I couldn't believe she was there. I kept telling her to hang on, that I wanted to wake up DW because no one was going to believe me that my mom had come back from the dead. She told me there wasn't time, that she just wanted to stop by and say hi. She said 'they' were on the way to go get Bill. I looked behind her out the window and there were several people I recognized. All dead now. I woke up and didn't think a whole lot about it until later that day when my dad called to tell me his brother, my Uncle Bill had passed away very early that morning. He had been in the hospital for several days fighting a respiratory complication. I had no idea he had been ill. He was 75 and always seemed healthy. He was 5 years younger than my dad, who is 80 and going strong.

I went to his memorial service and thought about telling my cousin, Uncle Bill's son, about my dream, but didn't...
Thank you for sharing this. It is an amazing dream, and seems hard to account for without accepting the spiritual side of life.

Ha

My father passed last March from cancer. My sister was at his bed side 24/7 for about 3 weeks straight prior to his passing. They connected on another level ... she "sees" him often.

In the last "visit" he showed her a future grandchild and said "I want this for you ... but you need to stop smoking". She hasn't smoked since.

My father passed last March from cancer. My sister was at his bed side 24/7 for about 3 weeks straight prior to his passing. They connected on another level ... she "sees" him often.

In the last "visit" he showed her a future grandchild and said "I want this for you ... but you need to stop smoking". She hasn't smoked since.
This is beautiful. Is this a child that your sister would bear, or would she be the grandmother?

She would be the grandmother. She saw herself (aged) in a rocking chair with the baby.

My siblings and I didn't know what to make of her reports (grief-stricken-headgames?) ... but when she quit smoking cold-turkey .

That is an amazing dream. Really makes one think about the possibility of spiritual communication.

I'm sorry about your uncle, Skipro. Your story gave me goosebumps. Your cousin might really like to hear it when you think it's appropriate.

Many nice, and fascinating stories here.
Developing ones ability to have "lucid dreams" (lucid meaning knowing you are dreaming while you are dreaming and having an ability to control the dream) is a very interesting study.
There are more than a few ways to go about this, which generally includes by necessity, the ability to recall your dreams.
I've used self hypnosis with a fair amount of success. I've been able to control my actions in dreams, but never to control the content. My dream recall is very good.
My hope had been, and still is to have some dreams involving family member contact like many of you have described.
When my Mother passed on, a door really closed because she was my last real link to my past and much family history. As the years have passed, the regret that sticks with me is that I didn't ask her more questions about things only she could have answered. A three hour chat complete with fine wine would be the greatest gift I could ever receive. Ask those questions and say those things you want to say while you can.
At any rate, if anyone is interested in lucid dreams, a goggle search will reveal the many avenues that can be followed. The author of my self hypnosis book is Forbes Robbins Blair.

Simply amazing! I have goosebumps. I do believe in communication from beyond and this is just amazing.

I finally had a comforting dream about my momma a few nights ago.

She passed away in October of last year. I've had several dreams about her; unfortunately they have all been bad. They are too painful to talk about, but I will say she looked right through me. She never recognized me.

In the dream I had the other night, she was talking to me and looking in my eyes. (However, I don't remember what she was saying). I suddenly realized she was speaking clearly and what she said made sense. I looked at her and said, "You don't have Alzheimer's anymore..." She smiled, reached out to me and said, "No darlin'...I don't."

Yes, it was a comforting dream for me. :)

That's a very comforting dream. I am glad that you had that.

I'm so happy about this. You have been a wonderful daughter; I am glad she could come to you and reassure you.

Ha

Can't believe I didn't see this thread before. While I am not big on ghosts, mediums, ouija boards etc., I don't doubt there is some form of residual ability for loved ones who've died to communicate with us. If it hasn't happened to you, don't feel left out. Spirits are not like us, so we may not always be able to pick up their "signals" so to speak.

When my Mother died after a long, long illness - barely a scrap of her left - I dreamed I saw her long-dead mother, her sister (my aunt) who'd died years before, and my Mother. Nana and my aunt looked about 40 years old, strong and beautiful, but Mom was sick, pale, and didn't recognize me. Yet, her hair was turning back from white to chestnut brown, something I had never seen in real life (her hair was white when I was born).

Nana explained, kindly and matter-of-factly, that when a soul suffers for a long time on Earth, it can take quite a while in Heaven for the soul to heal completely. Mom was in the midst of that healing process. This dream was very comforting to my grieving siblings and me.

W2R - hardly a day goes by that I don't hear the "voice of" either my mother or father coming out of my mouth. When someone notices my problem-solving ability, I'm almost consciously channeling my dad; when they comment on my kindness, I'm doing something that mom would do.

Amethyst

I know what you mean, Amethyst. I see my mother in myself frequently, and it is comforting.

I had a very vivid dream about my dear (departed) mother a few nights ago. She was at her most beautiful, with a radiant smile on her face, and nothing was wrong. In the dream, somehow I lost her in a parking garage before we had a chance to spend time together. It was nice to know that she was doing well, but I was so sad that we didn't have a chance to talk.

I know what you mean, Amethyst. I see my mother in myself frequently, and it is comforting.

I had a very vivid dream about my dear (departed) mother a few nights ago. She was at her most beautiful, with a radiant smile on her face, and nothing was wrong. In the dream, somehow I lost her in a parking garage before we had a chance to spend time together. It was nice to know that she was doing well, but I was so sad that we didn't have a chance to talk.

I've know what you mean about being sad of not having a chance to talk. I still have dreams of my mom (she passed away many years ago). Rarely do I dream of her anymore while she was ill and in the hospital. Instead, usually she's just in the background or sometimes we do talk. Comforting either way.

I haven't had a dream about my Mom (passed 2001) or my husband (passed 2004) in quite a while. I know when the anniversaries of their passing, both in October, arrive, I will have more waking remembrances and perhaps a few dreams.
And every instant of memory is a sweet comfort. :flowers:

Every time I look in the mirror, there is Mom looking back at me. If I put on red lipstick, it is really amazing. I love that.

Attachments

• JackieMay2012HCutCorr.jpg
    JackieMay2012HCutCorr.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 8
  • MomAge72.jpg
    MomAge72.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Same "Come over here and get a hug" smile - amazing resemblance!

I thought I didn't look like either of my parents (except the hair, which I got from both [-]barrels[/-] sides) - because my parents were middle-aged when they had me. So there I was, a teenager with two white-haired parents. Then my mom pulled out a B&W snapshot of my Dad at age 17 and I thought, "OMG - those are MY eyes!"

I never dream about Dad, but he does speak to me in the back of my mind.

Amethyst

I haven't had a dream about my Mom (passed 2001) or my husband (passed 2004) in quite a while. I know when the anniversaries of their passing, both in October, arrive, I will have more waking remembrances and perhaps a few dreams.
And every instant of memory is a sweet comfort. :flowers:

Every time I look in the mirror, there is Mom looking back at me. If I put on red lipstick, it is really amazing. I love that.

Back
Top Bottom