Conspicuous consumption: I don't get it

Andre1969 said:
Thanks for bringing me up to speed, Ha. :p Only problem now, is that I have a co-worker named Joni. I have another co-worker who's Puerto Rican, and pronounces "Joni" as, well, you guessed it!

It's gonna be hard to keep a straight face the next time she says it! :D

Invite them to a yoga class and have your co-worker introduce them :D

HaHa said:
Yoni is Hindi term for vagina- as in Kama Sutra.

Apparently it also means Buddy in Arabic. I figured some guy gave her the car, and named it after the most salient aspect of their relationship.

...And I kept picturing the long curly-haired Greek on the piano.... :LOL:

MooreBonds said:
...And I kept picturing the long curly-haired Greek on the piano.... :LOL:

I beleive that his name is Yanni.............but I wouldn't know for sure............however, I think he married Bo Derek............ :D :D

bssc said:
One of the people in my group just bought a new BWM M Coupe. He is driving it to Vegas. I told him to make sure to get gas because the car gets 14 mpg and only has a 14 gallon tank.

i was just looking at the m coupe at the dealer the other day. very hot car. like the vertible's even more. but you do pay to get to 60 in under 5. the new 335 gets there in 5.4 (5.7 for auto) while getting about 30 mpg on the highway and ya don't have to pay the extra gas guzzler tax.

i don't think there's gonna be anything conspicuous at all as i press the key fob so the top goes down as i'm walking to the car. i have no idea what all this cc fuss is about.

ps. yanni has a house just up the road in manalapan. here's an article on his 2006 arrest there http://tinyurl.com/2n4ana

While I'm sure there are people who buy just to look good (and they're the people we love to hate), I think plenty of us just want to have certain things which match with our interests.

I love watching movies in the evening with my wife, so we have a nice big 60" HD plasma. It certainly was a big consumption, but it has been a great value for us.

I like books, I enjoy holding them, I like their smell, and I enjoy sitting in a room with books surrounding me, they give me warm fuzzy feelings. So I spend a lot on them. Amazon thinks I'm a wonderful friend.

My wife and I are tech people, we have around 7.5 computers in the house (a few are in parts, I figure that's about what they add up to). Most of them are older, but we're generally pretty good about keeping upgraded. It's expensive, but it's certainly something we use a lot.

Anyway, I don't view them as conspicuous as it was explained in the past messages, as I don't care what people think about my computers, my TV, my books, etc. They're just things I like. I have the money, so I buy them.

My wife doesn't like jewelry, she has her wedding ring and that's it (doesn't own any earrings, necklaces, etc). I don't need fancy bikes, new cars, etc. It's all about priorities. Some people don't have interests which cost money, or they don't have the money to purchase them without it being a "large" impact.

DH, D & SIL and I were at Santana Row Saturday. Several very expensive muscle cars came roaring through. The male equivalent of tacky women sporting very large diamond rings. Not impressive.

Brat,

Owning a muscle car is a labor of love. Thousands of hours of work go into them.

Buying a diamond is hardly the same thing.

73ss454 said:
Brat,

Owning a muscle car is a labor of love. Thousands of hours of work go into them.

Ah, but getting one can be!

Boy did you leave an opening for a naughty retort.

73ss454 said:
Brat,

Based on the $$$ I spent on DW's engagement ring, I would say "close" to thousands of hours of work went into that purchase??

Naughty or not I don't see the point. Working hard to buy something and making something are not the same IMHO.

73ss454 said:
Naughty or not I don't see the point. Working hard to buy something and making something are not the same IMHO.

Could be Brat means the "work" that the bride to be put into bringing about her betrothal. Some of this can be failrly arduous, and in retrospect appear perhaps not quite worth the effort expended. :)

Ha

73ss454 said:

I haven't seen many guys actually "make" a car, they were just as "made" as a woman picking out the setting for a rock. The kind of vehicles seen on Santana Row were not 1960s muscle cars.

Ceberon said:
I like books, I enjoy holding them, I like their smell, and I enjoy sitting in a room with books surrounding me, they give me warm fuzzy feelings. So I spend a lot on them. Amazon thinks I'm a wonderful friend.
DeepDiscount now offers books. There are a few cents cheaper than Amazon on the Best Sellers but there is no minimum for free shipping.

Brat said:
I haven't seen many guys actually "make" a car, they were just as "made" as a woman picking out the setting for a rock. The kind of vehicles seen on Santana Row were not 1960s muscle cars.

Well Brat, I guess we just disagree. Restoring a muscle car is a lot of work and yes the guy didn't make the car. Taking a car apart and restoring it is as close as most come to making one.

Maybe your right, there are man made diamonds. :D

73ss454 said:
Brat,

Seems my post this afternoon did not get in......

I had a friend who had a SS 396 back in the day..... and he was doing work on it almost every weekend.. it was a POS when it comes to reliability... so I know it is literally 1000s of hours... but it was FAST... I mean wicked fast... It could lift the front end at 50 mph and be at 100 before you knew it... but it was a WHALE... had no handling whatsoever...

Me, I liked my Formula 350... had enough get up and go and handled great... you could cruise at 125 easily... but, got rid of it a couple of years ago... it was starting to get to a point of needing to much work...

73ss454 said:
Restoring a muscle car is a lot of work and yes the guy didn't make the car. Taking a car apart and restoring it is as close as most come to making one.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone that restores cars - a lot of skill, patience.

BTW, when DW says that she is just as happy with zirconium as a diamond, then it is a real content level for me.... :)

Back
Top Bottom