Construct the "perfect" portfolio!

Now that brings back memories. I went through the lottery drawings back in the day. Talk about the luck of the draw, or should I say the bouncing balls! It was pretty close to a real life or death drawing in those days. I can remember watching the drawing on TV with one of my friends (who was also in the same drawing) and I can still remember my number ~45 years later. Talk about one of life's defining moments.

I made my own luck. I was a draft-dodger--I enlisted (got my notice when I was in basic training). I was out before there was a lottery.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Walt Ed,

I feel your pain. Graduated college Aug 1968, Called for draft physical late Sept '68, sworn into Navy Nov '68 the same day my draft notice was going out.

Walt Ed,

I feel your pain. Graduated college Aug 1968, Called for draft physical late Sept '68, sworn into Navy Nov '68 the same day my draft notice was going out.
I cut it even closer.

Took the draft physical in June of 1969 and in late July I got my draft notice - report for induction on Monday, October 20. Immediately applied for Air Force Officer Training School and graduated from college in August.

Received notice on Friday, October 17 that I had been accepted. I was sworn in that afternoon, 64 hours before I was scheduled to catch the bus to the induction center.*

* My taste of military life was believing the recruiter who swore me in that Friday. "Don't worry about your draft notice, you don't need to contact anyone or do anything. No need to show up on Monday morning, I'll take care of everything." Right.

Monday afternoon a deputy sheriff came looking for me. Took a little persuasion to get him to believe the papers I showed him meant I was already in the military and exempt from being drafted.

Back
Top Bottom