Cooking hard boiled eggs

I get the impression that a very specific thread might draw more posts, because it almost begs to go into detail on that specific thing. And one detail spawns another, and debates on each, and so on.

I wonder if there is a name for that effect (if it exists)?

-ERD50

Let me nominate the effect: "The ERD50 effect" :D

I never cook hard boiled eggs - as they are already cooked :D

I'm not much of a cook, but why would you cook a hard boiled egg?

For the same reason you need a hot water heater! :D

Last time I made "boiled" eggs in the InstantPot, I put them on top of some diced potatoes so they were done at the same time. Potato salad, anyone?

I'm picky about my HB eggs. I want them easy to peel, not stale (pick up fridge smells) and I want the yolk cooked through but just barely. I mean just the slightest darker yellow in the middle is a good thing.

I had the same frustration as the OP (5 pages ago!) and bought the highest rated egg cooker from Amazon for $20, can't remember the brand.

Had to tweak the amount of water for a few batches, but finally have it - 1/3 cup of water for 4-5 Jumbos. The directions are fine for smaller eggs based on how I like the yolk (not too chalky). From the cooker into an ice bath until I'm ready to peel them.

Works for me, but I see cooking as a necessary evil for sustenance, not a means of personal expression (asbestos underwear in place :))

Another reason I will never join costco. 32 HB eggs? I cook 6 and I may have to toss 1 or 2 in the trash.

With Kirkland I'll toss 2 dozen in the trash.

I know 32 is a lot of eggs, but they last about 6-8 weeks, so it’s not so many when you look at it that way. And, I’ve been known to give some to my neighbor.

I just read the first 5,6,7 reply’s so I’m not sure if “my” method/recipe for making a hard boiled has been mentioned but here’s mine. Seems a lot simpler than what I’ve read so far. I put my eggs in cold water, ad a tbs or so of salt. Turn the burner on high, as soon as it reaches a boil, turn burner of. Then, put a plate over the pan for a little while , maybe 10 minutes, and there done perfectly!

Aha! Eggs!

The simplest and most accurate way that I know of is to use a Sous Vide machine. This is a machine that can accurately set the water temperature so the eggs come out just as you want them every single time.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

You have to experiment with the temperature until you get the results you want. I want mine a little moist and not too hard (around 150F) while my wife wants it more cooked (around 170F). So I experimented until I found the consistency that is acceptable to both of us - 167.5F.

The beauty of this is that you don't need to worry too much about the time because it is very hard to overcook it. It can stay there for 1-3 hours and it won't matter. So I cook a dozen at a time. I just set the temperature and then go about my day and come back to perfectly cooked eggs every single time.

But perfectly cooked eggs is just the beginning. Perfect steak, moist chicken breast, moist fish, etc. My kids usually tell me that I cook better than those "fine dining" places.

I find 15-20 minutes works great. I have no problem peeling as long as I crack well, run water over it so it gets in between the shell and the egg, then the shell just slips right off.

I made the best HB eggs I ever made yesterday. About 3/4 inch of water in a saucepan with five eggs in the steamer basket and a lid on the pot. Full power on the induction and the water started to boil in a minute. Waited for the steam to emerge and lowered the power and started the 12 minute countdown.

Ice water bath after until the ice was gone.

Perfect. Peeled easy and the shell just sorta slid off in big pieces. White firm but not tough. Yolk just cooked through. Delicious.

You all are a lot more picky about hard boiled eggs than I am. I just put them in a pan of water, put the electric burner on high, let boil about 15 minutes, drain the hot water, let them sit in cold tap water till I can touch them and I'm done. So long as my yolks are firm, I'm happy. I don't work as hard cooking a good steak as some of you all do on eggs. Obviously, I'm no chef.

You really don't want to get me goin' on steaks.... :)

Why would anybody cook a hard boiled egg - STOP! If it's hard boiled it's cooked already.:cool:

The same reason I cook med-rare steaks.

Yeah I know I shouldn't cook 'em because they are already medium rare, so if you are over I'll just give it to ya cold.

I created Golf Balls!

Discovered the secret to making a golf ball!

1) Blow that dough and buy an Instapot
2) Don't read the instructions. Forge ahead and learn!
3) Use Instapot like your rangetop boil method, but with pressure
a) Place eggs on bottom, cover with water
b) Set on pressure for 6 minutes
c) Don't quick release, let it naturally release (10+ minutes)

Voila! Golf balls! :LOL:

Today I'm going to do an Instapot redo on the eggs. My theory was I'm going to learn by trying, and if I make a mistake, it will be something to remember. Well, this mistake is something to remember! Talk about not "getting it" with the Instapot. Guilty as charged! Today's try will include only 1 cup water plus the rack. I have high hopes.

In retrospect, I'm figuring the eggs were covered with 220F+ water for over 15 minutes. Covered. Talk about cooking the daylights out of something.

Last edited:
Discovered the secret to making a golf ball!

1) Blow that dough and buy an Instapot
2) Don't read the instructions. Forge ahead and learn!

Yeah, the IP is definitely an appliance where you need to read the instructions. My cousin's wife said she took hers back when she saw the control panel and instruction manual. :LOL:

I do mine always in the Insta Pot. 6 minutes on low pressure, slow release, perfect every time. But the best part is you can use fresh eggs and they peel so easy every time. Most easy to peel I have every found.

I have it down pat, perfect every time

1) Bring pot of water to boil over med-high heat.
2) Slide eggs in one at a time with tablespoon. If they are cold, some may crack, but that's really not an issue for me. Doesn't seem to affect them much.
3) Set timer to 14 minutes. Eggs will return to boil, but time is not counted from when the water returns to boil, but rather when you put them into the hot water. I do about 4-6 at a time, so you may have to add a minute or two if more.
4) Remove pot from stove and rinse under cold water 15 seconds or so, just long enough only to be able to set the pan into the sink. Add just enough water to cover the eggs.
5) Immediately pour a layer of ice over and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
6) Crack eggs and rinse under water. They peel so easily most of the time I can just crack and squeeze them out.

Works on fresh or old eggs. Ran across this a couple of years ago and I really can't believe it took over 50 years to perfect a hard boiled egg. I've tried everything else people have suggested with varying degrees of success, but this works perfect every time.

Instapot re-do = success!

OK. Now I get why people like the Instapot.

With just one cup of water, the eggs on the steamer rack, cooking on low pressure for 6 minutes, letting it naturally vent for 5 min and then cooling immediately with just tap water, I had major success!

What a difference from my first try. :) And fast too. The 1 cup water takes no time at all to come to temperature.

These eggs are perfect!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom