Costco Optical?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I need to replace my prescription progressive glasses and sunglasses. I don’t want to pay full $$$$ retail from a local shop, went to one and they basically would not tell me what glasses would cost? After their run around I gave up and left. And I don’t trust online for progressives as they do require more measurements for good fit. So have any of you done progressives at Costco, and had a good or bad experience? I know the Costco frame selection is more limited, but I can live with that as I read the cost appears to be about half compared to local eye clinics.

We have used Costco with good results. My wife has progressives and she is happy with Costco. I believe she gets the best quality lens they offer as she finds a difference in the quality.

following. I get mine at sam/s club and although they do alright the frames are cheaply made and the glasses are not cheap. that is with the trifocal and the better lenses.

Been using Costco for glasses for about five years and am very happy with them. My glasses are progressives. I buy something they refer to as computer glasses. I didn’t have any problem with them getting the progressive dialed in. I think that’s because I came to them with a pair of glasses I was already happy with. Getting the progressive part dialed in the first time, years ago, was a pain but I’ve had no issues since.

On thing about Costco is that their return policy is great. My wife was having some issues and the optometrist knew here vision was not stable. She told DW to go ahead and get some glasses and return them once her vision stabilized. That worked out better than I would have thought.

Costco, in my eyes, is a great middle ground between the retail eyeglass companies that charge way too much and the online options that don’t have the in person service. I’ve been very happy with them.

FWIW, the computer glasses are designed for computer usage. The have a blue light filter and the progressive is set more toward the bottom for the reading glasses part. They work very well for me even now that I’m not sitting in front of a computer like I used to at work. For me, they are primarily reading glasses since I can see distance without glasses. However, close and mid range, I need glasses.

I got my glasses for $130 and they are the better lenses with scratch resistance and blue light filtering.

Last edited:
I’ve been using Costco for my progressive glasses for a number of years and have always been pleased. I find the frame quality very good and the service excellent. The measurements for the progressives are spot on.

Last edited:
DW and I have utilized both Costco and Sam's for many years for progressive lenses and been very happy with both. The only difference between the two that I have noted is; 1) Costco pricing historically didn't penalized you for using an existing frame when you just want new lenses; 2) and Sam's gives you even better pricing for Plus membership status compared to normal membership.

I am hard on glasses so YMMV. My progressive lens from Costco were fine, except they coat all the lenses and the coating rubbed/wore off, in 2-3 years time. They wouldn't sell glasses without the coating.

+1. I use progressives all day/night and have been getting my glasses at Costco for years. I had an issue with the lens once. It just didn't feel right even after adjustments. Costco remade the glasses with no hassle.

The adjustment matters, so if the person helping you isn't doing a good job, ask for someone else in the store. Or if you're in a big city, try another costco.

DW and I have utilized both Costco and Sam's for many years for progressive lenses and been very happy with both. The only difference between the two that I have noted is; 1) Costco pricing historically didn't penalized you for using an existing frame when you just want new lenses; 2) and Sam's gives you even better pricing for Plus membership status compared to normal membership.

Now Costco charges $25 if you use your old frames, and their new ones cost ~$50 so next time DW says she will just buy new frames, and keep her old glasses as a spare.

I don't need progressives but I'm looking at my local costco now for a pair of frames and lenses. Of course, despite their decent selection, I want a $200 pair (more than 75% appear to be <$100). I asked the clerk there about the price to add lenses and she said "about $85."

I haven't pulled the trigger yet because...of course the frames I liked best were gone when I went back a few days later. Like all things Costco, what you like might not be available when you go back.

I do have the SKU though, so I plan to call around as I have 4 costco's in a half our radius.

We started using Costco when we joined a few years ago. We've been pleased with the results. I just got new glasses there and for progressives with the thinnest lenses and various coatings, I paid $160 plus the cost of the frame which in my case was $60. Transitions would have been additional. Note that different Costcos may have different frame selections. DH didn't see what he liked in Prescott so went to the Scottsdale store and got ones he liked. They regularly knock $40-50 off if you purchase two sets of glasses which makes sense if you also want separate sunglasses.

If you have a Kaiser Permanente facility near you check out Vision Essentials. You don't need to be a Kaiser member to buy there the only difference is that if you are on Kaiser and have a vision benefit they can access that. They occasionally have sales. They also have discounts when you buy two sets of glasses.

Vision Essentials grinds all lenses. Once I lost a lense, no problem replacing it.

Last edited:
We went for our annual check-up two weeks ago. We normally take the prescription and by glasses online at Zenni.com and don't waste time with VSP claims. We used to buy glasses and contacts at Costco, but I stopped wearing contacts and found better selection of glasses and frames online at much better prices. The doctor pointed out that our VSP actually has great allowances for glasses and we would be better off just getting glasses that VSP covers with our copay. So we went to the crooked optical store the eye clinic is associated with. My wife needed readers and I needed low power glasses for distance. The guy at the store told us our co-pay is $20 each and we have to pay the difference between the cost of the basic lens and frames that our insurance covers. He the stated that any frame marked at $159 or lower was covered by insurance. I quickly looked up the frame model online and they were less than half the price indicated in the crooked optical store. So when it came to selecting the lens, if we wanted ant-reflective coating it was $84 or if we wanted UVA/UVB blocking it was another $96. The prices are much lower at Zenni and other online stores for these lens option. We just took the minimum that our insurance covers and they were much better than what you can buy at Zenni for $20 each.

The bottom line is, if you have VSP coverage, see what is included and what you can buy with your copay.

Last edited:
I have used Costco for eyeglasses previously, good results. Lately been using www.39dollarglasses.com for lower cost and been happy. Only real drawback is you can't really try on the frames in person. I've not had to return any for a problem.

We have used Costco for several years (3 in the family wear glasses).
Never had a problem, I have progressive and trifocals, DH bifocals, and DD regular lens.
Now with Medicare, DH and I have used our Kaiser--just as good of results.
DD still uses Costco.

My spouse has been a customer of Costco Optical for years. Progressives. I been a customer for reading glasses for year.

On one buy she had the frames selected and the salesperson was ringing up the buy. He looked over at her and said.....if you had been buying these at my store six months ago you would have paid almost double for the identical frames/ lens.

She asked him about it. He was an optician who had sold his store nine months ago and was working part time a Costco to fill in his day.

We would not go anywhere else. Good service, and they stand behind the product.

Last edited:
Bought my first pair of Progressives from Costco a few months ago. Very pleased with them and haven’t had any issues.

A couple of you mentioned getting reading glasses at Costco Optical. Is there a reason you're not just using the ones you can buy at the drug store?

My wife and I have been totally satisfied with our multiple pairs of glasses from Costco. We are both in progressives, and our Rx are both not straightforward, for different reasons.

Probably we could get cooler frames elsewhere, but neither of us care.

Back
Top Bottom