Critters in engine compartment

I am so impressed with all the Daniel Boone types on this thread that can easily determine what animals have been around by examining their droppings! Perhaps only in America would such a skill be so widespread.

They actually taught us this stuff back when I was a Boy Scout. I remember it pretty well, for some reason. I can usually pick out various rodents, bunnies, deer, skunks, bears, and a few other critters by memory. Also, haven't had any problem identifying the Assateague ponies by their droppings either. :D

Most other critters require a quick look into the old Peterson's Field Guide. I usually have a couple copies (Birds, Bugs, Critters) with me on day hikes.

They actually taught us this stuff back when I was a Boy Scout. I remember it pretty well, for some reason. I can usually pick out various rodents, bunnies, deer, skunks, bears, and a few other critters by memory. Also, haven't had any problem identifying the Assateague ponies by their droppings either. :D

Most other critters require a quick look into the old Peterson's Field Guide. I usually have a couple copies (Birds, Bugs, Critters) with me on day hikes.

I grew up on a small farms backed up to woodlots; used to be pretty good at recognizing tracks/scat/kill patterns.

Try some moth balls.

I have a couple of antique cars (convertables) and live where they are usable, at most, six months of the year. The first year I stored one, I filled it with moth balls to keep the mice out. It seemed to work, but, it stank all summer even with the top down.

I grew up on a small farms backed up to woodlots; used to be pretty good at recognizing tracks/scat/kill patterns.
But have you identified the tracks or scat or seen the nest of the Ohio Grassman ?
I saw a special last night about this "creature". It was actually a great show if you believe in that kind of stuff. :rolleyes:
Grassman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We've been noticing sparrows flying out from beneath our SUV when we approach it--it must be warm enough under there for them. I don't think they're doing any damage.

At my last military training command we lost power one morning. A half-dozen nuclear-trained electricians worked in the building but we had to call the Public Works crew to come out and fix the problem. They were in no hurry to proceed because they'd had an epidemic of rats chewing insulation inside the breaker boxes. Easy troubleshooting but messy repairs.

Of course when this "tale" spread throughout the building, quite a crowd gathered as the PW electrician walked over to the breaker to open the access door.

As he approached the door, most of the crowd pressed inward to gaze over his shoulder. It was then that I noticed the most senior nuke electricians had somehow inconspicuously managed to ease to the back of the crowd and out of the path of anything that developed. You submarine veterans can probably predict that the auxiliary machinist's mates were elbowing each other aside for front-row spots.

Sure enough, as soon as the door came open the surviving rat family quickly departed-- straight into the crowd. The electricians had been expecting arcs, sparks, & fireballs so they were relieved to see the show.

Crummy wiring - just a bundle of snakes - like this Okalahoma Gas & Electric panel:

Attachments

• OGE snake panel.jpg
    OGE snake panel.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom