Daily WORDLE - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got it on NYT in one! Oh, I might have first tried on the old site, then refreshed, and then retried. :cool:

Wordle 237 1/6

:confused:??

yeah i just refreshed. Looks like it keeps your total but restarts your current streak

Now that it's at the NYT I don't get any history/percentage report, so the streak is gone.

Strange that they wouldn't bother to include that part of the code from the UK website.

So today was my actual first NYT wordle day - yesterday I just refreshed and got the new streak number. But today I did the puzzle and it restored the stats.

Wordle 237 4/6

?⬜⬜?⬜
⬜⬜⬜??
?⬜⬜??

So today was my actual first NYT wordle day - yesterday I just refreshed and got the new streak number. But today I did the puzzle and it restored the stats.

Wordle 237 4/6

?⬜⬜?⬜
⬜⬜⬜??
?⬜⬜??

Same here. Stats all look to be back and correct. Almost blew my streak today though. I was running out of word that fit.

Wordle 237 6/6

⬜?⬜⬜?
?⬜⬜??
?⬜⬜??
?⬜⬜??
?⬜⬜??

As I had said several days ago, I think Wordle would be best used by the NY Times as a "loss leader." There will be so much ill will generated if they put it behind a paywall. But how best to use it for their purpose to sell more subscriptions to their puzzle site?

I think, if I were the NYT, I'd have Wordle up for free, accompanied by a rotating selction of their other puzzles, 1 per week, with an invitation to subscribe to the whole slate. One per week, because they don't want to have too many freebies out there, and also want to expose the whole roster.

What do those of you versed in marketing think the NYT should do with Wordle?

Your stats are saved in browser storage, and, like cookies, it's not available across domains. So there had to have been something transferred in the redirect.

I should have had it in 2. For my second guess I had the right word, but spelled it wrong, which wasn't a valid word. So I tried something else. Then I realized how to correctly spell it and, voila, that was actually the word. My best effort yet, I think.

Wordle 237 3/6

?⬜⬜??
?⬜⬜??

My stats transferred, FWIW. But it looks like hard mode got turned off (although I played that way anyway). I will have to fix that.

Wordle 237 4/6

⬜?⬜⬜?
⬜⬜⬜??
⬜:confused:?

I got it on NYT in one! Oh, I might have first tried on the old site, then refreshed, and then retried. :cool:

Wordle 237 1/6

Go to the head of the class ... for today. :clap:

I was feeling good about my score until I saw yours

Wordle 237 3/6

⬜?⬜⬜⬜
:confused:?⬜

I have to reset hard mode because of the NY Times transfer but it kept my current streak stats intact.

Took me 6 today, but at least still no losses.

In retrospect, two of my guesses were sub-optimal, but that's a learning experience for me.

------- DATE: - SCORE: - MEDIAN ---- AVG ---- GAMES PLAYED

11 Feb2022 ----------- 6 ------- 4.00 ----- 4.00 ----- 26

Got it in: 6's - 5's - 4's - 3's - 2's - 1's
----------- 3 --- 4 --- 10 --- 8 --- 1 --- 0

-ERD50

5 today for me. Not easy

Right. Hard mode got turned off in the switchover to NY Times for me too. I had to reset that switch. I played that way anyway, but now it will be enforced.

Wordle 237 3/6

?⬜⬜⬜⬜
?⬜⬜??

You're right - hard mode got turned off... Will have to turn it on.

I started with the bookmarked old site but my results were on NYT.

But it kept my streaks/statistics. 21 played, 95%, current and max streak 18.

Wordle 237 4/6

����⬜⬜⬜
��⬜⬜����
⬜��������
����������

Becoming pretty standard at 3-4 now that I have a system...

Wordle 237 4/6

??⬜⬜⬜
⬜?⬜?⬜
?⬜?⬜⬜

Tonight I wrote a quick program to create 3 word starter sets. It's a brute force approach. Take 3 words from inside the Wordle app at random and extract the letters. Then, starting with the entire list of answer words, remove those extracted letters. The more letters removed, the higher the score. I've noticed that if 9600 or more letters are removed by using the letters from 3 words, that's a pretty good starter set.

So I'm going to let this run overnight and see how many 3 word sets it comes up with that remove more than 9600 letters. It's been running for about 15 minutes and it has come up with only two sets (scores 9602 and 9660), so I think I have the cutoff defined pretty well.
The program gave me 32 sets of starter words with scores ranging from 9602 to 9695, so the overnight run didn't give me a really huge jump in effectiveness.

Today, I thought, rather than pull random word sets, I could enumerate every single possible three word set. I had to go to Wolfram Alpha to get the count of possibilities (2,065,088,805) because my spreadsheet couldn't handle the factorial calculation!

I wrote another "quickie" to enumerate every possible 3 word combination, but it would take 42 days on my computer to complete all 2 billion possibilities :LOL:

From the randomly generated word sets last night, if anyone wants to fiddle with various starting word sets. These might not be common words, by the way, because they're in the big set of all possible guesses (not all possible answers, which is a smaller set)

score 9602: [birds, touch, plane]
score 9602: [chapt, ebons, lurid]
score 9602: [denis, poach, blurt]
score 9609: [cairn, hotly, feuds]
score 9609: [cards, unify, hotel]
score 9609: [lordy, staun, chief]
score 9609: [unity, frosh, decal]
score 9613: [ayres, ginch, moult]
score 9613: [largo, imshy, centu]
score 9613: [latus, gormy, niche]
score 9632: [grads, picul, hoten]
score 9634: [unapt, chile, brosy]
score 9637: [pilum, tarns, chode]
score 9638: [bluid, conte, raspy]
score 9638: [linac, spyre, doubt]
score 9638: [pricy, lends, about]
score 9638: [round, pebas, lytic]
score 9638: [tapus, derby, nicol]
score 9660: [bails, educt, horny]
score 9660: [brads, incle, youth]
score 9660: [roble, duchy, stain]
score 9664: [tangi, cruel, sophy]
score 9668: [gurly, coped, antis]
score 9669: [chart, poney, muils]
score 9669: [hunts, cymar, loipe]
score 9669: [micht, ulpan, yores]
score 9669: [ratch, oleum, snipy]
score 9673: [picot, nurdy, almes]
score 9690: [garni, chout, lysed]
score 9690: [hairs, ycond, glute]
score 9695: [shily, notum, acred]
score 9695: [thymi, cores, ulnad]

I don't know if it makes sense to say that a particular day was "harder" in general, it depends a lot on your 1st and 2nd guesses, which will be different for a lot of people.

A good 1st/2nd guess could make it easy, poor ones (for that puzzle, but good on average), could make it hard. I might say "it was hard for me", but that's based on my first couple guesses.

Outside of repeat letters and silent letters, I don't think one is harder than the other, just different.

-ERD50

I had a wild hair tonight to try to think of the LEAST helpful starting word. So far, the best (worst?) I have come up with is "mummy." Can you [-]top[/-] bottom that? :)

Wordle 238 4/6

⬜:confused:⬜
⬜:confused:⬜
?⬜?⬜?

Did NOT come quickly for me today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom