Daylight Saving Time Again!

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Didn’t we just have this? Yes! And it’s back? Yes! Will this never end?

Just a reminder, this weekend it’s time to change the clocks. We lose an hour this weekend, folks. Babies and pets will certainly be confused.

Since you correctly only included one “saving” what I am going to post in the pet peeve thread now? :LOL:

In keeping with other threads here, how about a complaint about not getting any interest on your "saving"?

We don't "save" daylight here.

Two of the best things about Arizona, no front license plates and no daylight saving time. (Besides, who would want the sun to stay up an hour later when it's 110°F out.)

I like daylight saving time, but wish it would become year-around or get rid of it all together.

From an article 2 days ago:
“more than 40 states are considering changes to end the shifting, and federal lawmakers are weighing legislation that could make daylight saving time permanent.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) last year reintroduced a bipartisan bill to make daylight saving time permanent, a position shared by Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), who chairs the Senate’s Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.”

Thanks for the heads up. I have to let my dog (Jack Russel Terrier) know so he can change our schedule.

From an article 2 days ago:
“more than 40 states are considering changes to end the shifting, and federal lawmakers are weighing legislation that could make daylight saving time permanent.
It gets talked about every year for as long as I can remember. I'll believe it when it happens.

Didn’t we just have this? Yes! And it’s back? Yes! Will this never end?

Just a reminder, this weekend it’s time to change the clocks. We lose an hour this weekend, folks. Babies and pets will certainly be confused.

In the end, wouldn't one get back that lost hour when they go to sleep an hour earlier at the end of the day in which they lose the hour of sleep in the morning?

Most things can handle it by themselves now, but a few like the stove and the microwave still need manual help. I just wish they would make the change at a more civilized time of day. I hate having to set the alarm for 2:00 am to make those adjustments.

I've been a big fan of DST during my working career because it meant more daylight timeafter my workday most of the year, particularly in the warmer months when I wanted to be outside a lot more. But after I retire, I'll have my own schedule, so it won't really matter to me much, anymore.

I'm looking forward to it this year, more light at the end of the day for when I take that long boat ride to Stockton - :)

My only peeve is running around the house changing clocks.

many of our clocks are "atomic" and are synced with the National Bureau of Standards WWVB in Boulder, CO. it takes me maybe 10-15 min to adjust the other clocks...no biggie.

At last.... the clock in my truck and Harley will be correct again

We don't "save" daylight here.

Two of the best things about Arizona, no front license plates and no daylight saving time. (Besides, who would want the sun to stay up an hour later when it's 110°F out.)

I have traveled through northeast Arizona not knowing what time it was - the Navajo nation in Az, Nm, and Ut observes DST.

DST, time zones and am/pm are too confusing. We should all be on GMT.

:LOL:^^^^^^^^ This, my DW and I took a ride on my Bike one day last week and I noticed the clock was off. I mentioned it to her and she said to just leave it because it would be right again Sunday!

DST will be a little different for us this year. Our dog was diagnosed a diabetic a few months back and now requires feeding and insulin injection 2x per day at 12 hour intervals 6AM & 6PM. I guess we will adjust by a half hour on both feedings. She will be confused. She knows her feeding times pretty well.

Doesn't matter to me...When the sun comes up, so is the dog and then he makes sure we are.

I am looking forward to the longer light in the evenings as well. Living in the west and northern part having more day light longer in each day is so much better. In peak winter days starting to get dark at 330 to 430 doesn't save one penny or does it help in any shape or form. If anything for us it costs us more money than a savings.

Babies and pets will certainly be confused.

Babies, pets, and me too. :LOL: I have a hard time adjusting to these time changes. They essentially give me jet lag twice a year, and I wish that Congress would get rid of this archaic custom for us. They keep saying they will but it never happens.

Any legislator who supports getting rid of time changes would get a lot of votes at upcoming elections, including mine... low hanging fruit for them.

I do like the later sunsets that we get from Daylight Saving Time, but overall, I've noticed that I don't get as excited about DST as I used to when I was younger. I think it's actually more of a symbolic thing actually, than the later sunsets. It was always a sign that Spring was here (or in later years, after they adjusted the start and end times, right around the corner). And that summer would soon be here, and the freedom that comes with it. Once you get out of the summer vacation cycle of school, and thrown into the working world, the concept of "summer vacation" becomes less relevant, perhaps, but I think it often stays ingrained in the subconscious.

Just like snow days. It's actually snowing here right now, and I do feel my inner child getting a bit giddy. In the overall scheme of things, it still means nothing. It's not getting me out of school, or work. And it's probably not going to amount to enough of a snowfall to go out and play in it. But I do feel that nostalgia creeping in.

Back to DST...now that I've been working from home for almost two years...and for a couple years before that, altering my schedule where I'd usually duck out of the office around noon two days per week, it doesn't seem so important. I used to like it, because of those precious few hours in the evening, after I got off work, where I could be outside and doing something. And getting some extra daylight, after being cooped up in a windowless office. But now, I'm always up before the sun anyway, and I'm always awake when it sets, and working from home I basically get the full exposure of daylight.

So, at the peak of the season, I'm soaking in the full 16-17 hours or whatever of daylight, no matter what time the sun rises and sets. Whereas when I worked in an office, adding an extra hour of daylight after getting out of work, on top of the few that I already had, seemed like a big deal.

One advantage of DST though, I guess, relates to where I currently live. There's fairly big hill with some tall trees on it to the West of my yard, as well as some tall pine trees along the property line. Even during the peak of summer, it seems like the shadows start to creep across the swimming pool around 4 or so, and by 5:30, it's mostly in shadow. There's one gap in the pine trees, where one of them had died, and you can see the Sun through there for a a bit, but by 7 pm, it's disappeared. It may still be light out until 9 pm, but once those shadows start creeping across the pool, it just feels like evening's coming on fast. So, without DST, it would start feeling like "evening" around 3 pm instead of 4! And, even in the hottest part of summer, it seems like once the shadows hit that pool, it cools down fast.

Can someone solve a mystery for me? For decades I've wondered what happens to TV programs that are scheduled to air at 2:00 am?

Sure, a program is scheduled to air at 2:00 am but then here comes Daylight Saving Time and, oops, it's now 3:00 am. I guess that show you wanted to watch at 2:00 just got sent to the Twilight Zone.

And don't get me started on what happens with your DVR set to record at 2:00 am.

I'll get me coat...

Why not do it just before going to bed?

The car clock is the only one I have to change now, and that's easy.

I hate having to set the alarm for 2:00 am to make those adjustments.

As long as young kids take buses or walk to school, we'll have a time change in the winter, so they are not out on the street in the dark.

Although it's the only reason I can think of for keeping the time change, it's a pretty powerful one for parents.

Back
Top Bottom