Earworms du jour

I think I have posted this one somewhere way back when, hopefully not on this thread. It comes to mind whenever there is a lot of hurricane or flood damage going on somewhere, like Hurricane Ian. Older New Orleanians told us about the catastrophic 1927 flood, with tears in their eyes, many times. TPTB bombed the levees to save New Orleans and flood poor, rural downstream areas instead. Heartbreaking and this song is about that flood. It is nearly an anthem by now and I can't get it out of my head today.

What a story teller is Randy Newman! What a sad story, yet beautifully told.

Reactions: W2R
I think I have posted this one somewhere way back when, hopefully not on this thread. It comes to mind whenever there is a lot of hurricane or flood damage going on somewhere, like Hurricane Ian. Older New Orleanians told us about the catastrophic 1927 flood, with tears in their eyes, many times. TPTB bombed the levees to save New Orleans and flood poor, rural downstream areas instead. Heartbreaking and this song is about that flood. It is nearly an anthem by now and I can't get it out of my head today.

I love Randy Newman.

^^^^^^^

I really like the RN song featured in MAJOR LEAGUE.

Randy is undoubtedly one of the best, and he can be hilarious as well.

In light of the recent departure of Loretta Lynn, may I suggest her fans take a second listen to my recent obsession, Sierra Ferrell.

On of Ms G's favorite, walked the dogs this morning and still humming it.

Playing on the car radio tonight as I headed home. Can't get it out of my head.

I have music playing in my head all the time these days. Not really an earworm as it’s generally a variety of music and I can easily switch at will. Not necessarily stuff I’ve heard recently either. A lot is stuff I haven’t heard in decades. I actually enjoy the constant background music in my life now, but this is a fairly recent development.

I believe it started a few years ago when I used to play some of my piano pieces in my head when I woke up in the middle of the night and had trouble getting back to sleep. It seemed to calm me and help me settle down and eventually get back to sleep. After a couple of years all sorts of different music would spontaneously play in my head. And this past year I realized that music was playing in my head all the time!

The other morning I woke up and realized that some of the music had been playing in my dreams! I think it was Chicago and I think I had been trying to get the brass parts from two different songs straight in my head.

This morning waking up I was playing “I don’t want to do your paperwork, on no” (Steely Dan: Dirty Work). Interestingly this song had popped up in my head out of nowhere a week ago and I had to ask DH if he knew the song because I didn’t quite have the lyrics. He did know it - so we started listening to some oldies. The “paperwork” bit was this morning’s subconscious invention. Yes, I still have some estate paperwork to complete.

Anyway I thought I would share this amusing and seemingly benign phenomenon. :crazy::hide:

I do often go on to play the artist recordings if I haven’t heard them in a while.

Last edited:
I try to seek out "new" music (new to me) and often find it revolving around my brain.
Here's one that IMO makes full use of the magic "rule of three" in language. It's in the title, the first line and the verse progression -- one-two-three-one. I've been hung up on it lately. Classic country fans should like it.

That's veteran session musician Cindy Cashdollar on pedal steel.

I've had "vincera!" on my mind, a positive attitude going into 2023.

I think this is his best version of Nessun Dorma, especially his priceless look at the end when he knows he did well.

Anibal Troilo, Cry of the Bandoneon.

I have music playing in my head all the time these days. Not really an earworm as it’s generally a variety of music and I can easily switch at will. Not necessarily stuff I’ve heard recently either. A lot is stuff I haven’t heard in decades. I actually enjoy the constant background music in my life now, but this is a fairly recent development.

I believe it started a few years ago when I used to play some of my piano pieces in my head when I woke up in the middle of the night and had trouble getting back to sleep. It seemed to calm me and help me settle down and eventually get back to sleep. After a couple of years all sorts of different music would spontaneously play in my head. And this past year I realized that music was playing in my head all the time!

The other morning I woke up and realized that some of the music had been playing in my dreams! I think it was Chicago and I think I had been trying to get the brass parts from two different songs straight in my head.

This morning waking up I was playing “I don’t want to do your paperwork, on no” (Steely Dan: Dirty Work). Interestingly this song had popped up in my head out of nowhere a week ago and I had to ask DH if he knew the song because I didn’t quite have the lyrics. He did know it - so we started listening to some oldies. The “paperwork” bit was this morning’s subconscious invention. Yes, I still have some estate paperwork to complete.

Anyway I thought I would share this amusing and seemingly benign phenomenon. :crazy::hide:

I do often go on to play the artist recordings if I haven’t heard them in a while.

No music in my head, just a constant ringing. Maybe from combat days? Too old to file claim and couldn't prove it anyway.

Ear worm today. Love this performance btw: Robin at his best (and healthiest it seems).

Still playing in my head every morning a week later! That sort of slow funky jazzy reggae beat just won't quit!

Of course I love the piano and brass too.

Last edited:
I rank them among the two or three greatest pop acts of the '70s. Everything they did was golden.

Saw them live at Arie Crown Theater in Chicago. So loud, my ears rang for 3 days. A bit later, they came out with "Hey 19." Ignoring the "creep" factor implicit in such a title (and song) it came out at a time when I could really identify - not wanting to date a 19 year old, you understand, but just talking to "kids" about the music of "our day." They never got it, of course ("Who's Aretha Franklin?")

The good news: I could talk to my eldest about remakes (like Lenny Kravitz doing American Woman - originally by Guess Who.) She couldn't believe it as she thought the LK version WAS the original.

Better news: Youngest loves "oldies" as well as country.

So with all that in mind, which do you like best:

I'll give you 1 guess which one I like best, but YMMV.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom