Earworms du jour

Saw them live at Arie Crown Theater in Chicago. So loud, my ears rang for 3 days. A bit later, they came out with "Hey 19." Ignoring the "creep" factor implicit in such a title (and song) it came out at a time when I could really identify - not wanting to date a 19 year old, you understand, but just talking to "kids" about the music of "our day." They never got it, of course ("Who's Aretha Franklin?")

The good news: I could talk to my eldest about remakes (like Lenny Kravitz doing American Woman - originally by Guess Who.) She couldn't believe it as she thought the LK version WAS the original.

Better news: Youngest loves "oldies" as well as country.

DW and I had dinner last night at a "gastropub" that seemed to have a millennial vibe. They had a music soundtrack playing that was almost exclusively '60s Motown, especially The Supremes.

This tune came on just as we were about to leave. NOT Motown. From about '68, IIRC.

For some reason after that “Soul Man” started playing in my head all afternoon and I finally had to sit down and watch this blast from the past.

DW and I had dinner last night at a "gastropub" that seemed to have a millennial vibe. They had a music soundtrack playing that was almost exclusively '60s Motown, especially The Supremes.

This tune came on just as we were about to leave. NOT Motown. From about '68, IIRC.

I love the Isley Bros. My personal favorite is "Fight the Power."

I had no idea of the Isley Brothers Jimi Hendrix connection until I saw this performance by Ernie Isley. Turns out he was mentored as a teenager when Hendrix lived with them for a while. Second half of the video is his performance. Kind of a nice soulful rendition of Summer Breeze in the first half.

The Isleys were one of the greatest soul bands, and very durable. Their breakout hit, "Shout," came in 1959. The Beatles covered their version of "Twist and Shout." And of course they had that great run of hits in the '70s. I'm also a big fan of "Fight the Power" ... a song title Public Enemy later cribbed for their own recording.

Edit: I just remembered that "It's Your Thing" marked Ernie Isley's first appearance on one of the band's records, on bass.

Last edited:
Bad, bad earworm this week. Can't get it out of my head. Could be worse! I LOVE this aria from Don Giovanni sung by Dimitri Hvorostovsky.

I almost went to see these two young men (brothers) perform at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam in 2017 and have regretted missing it ever since. Here is a performance in the Concertgebouw from 2020. This Schubert fantasy for 4 hands has been playing in my head this week.

Mathew Wilder’s Break my Stride is mine:

“Ain't nothin' gonna
break my stride
Nobody gonna slow me down, oh no
I got to keep on moving”

I’m hoping that when I finally get over my OMY stage and retire it will be a different tune…

Ear worm du jour. I think the moralist in me is just happy he comes to the conclusion that it's his own damn fault... :)

^^^^^^^^^

Salt. Salt. Salt. Salt.

As a closet Parrot Head, I'll add a favorite JB ear worm

We were in some hipster grocery store 2 weeks ago where they stream background music from who knows where. This time it was a late '60s mix.

So now I'm stuck listening to Tom Jones' "Delilah" all the time, even wake up at night.

http://https://news.yahoo.com/delilah-lyrics-tom-jones-banned-wales-rugby-why-172644932.html

So I'll pass the favor along. :LOL:

_B

We were in some hipster grocery store 2 weeks ago where they stream background music from who knows where. This time it was a late '60s mix.

So now I'm stuck listening to Tom Jones' "Delilah" all the time, even wake up at night.

http://https://news.yahoo.com/delilah-lyrics-tom-jones-banned-wales-rugby-why-172644932.html

_B

Yeah, I recall being very surprised by the lyrics the first time I heard the song. I do like the song, by the way, but wouldn't want it stuck in my head either. What I do if I get a song stuck - I pick another song to listen to and hope that it covers up the "stuck" song. Sometimes it w*rks. Heh, heh, sometimes the "new" song gets stuck. Gaaahhhhk!

_B

You can always replace with another Tom Jones.

For a little while the Isley Brothers were signed to Motown. This is their hit from that time (written by the great Motown song writers Holland-Dozier-Holland):

Feeling Funky? Probably my fave:

But also from the grandfather of funk

Never forget the Eddie Murphy SNK skit to this where he sang “hot tub” to this dancing around a hot tub in a gold lamé brief bathing suit. Thought I was going to die laughing, and that’s how I discovered my fave James Brown song. Here it is.

Finally great Latin groove:

Earth Wind and Fire requires a while separate chapter of course…..

Last edited:
Here's a smoothie from when Santana called himself "Devadip."

This has to be the ultimate ear worm rock song with such a iconic opening. Steve Winwood was only 18.

Joli Blon (=Jolie Blonde), sometimes called "The Cajun National Anthem":

The first time you listen to it, you'll probably think, "Eh, so what." If you listen to it every day for a couple of weeks, it'll worm its way into your subconscious and you'll probably end up listening to it every day.

This has to be the ultimate ear worm rock song with such a iconic opening. Steve Winwood was only 18.

And at 18 was when I saw him (them) in concert. What a great band and what a great time.

Joli Blon (=Jolie Blonde), sometimes called "The Cajun National Anthem":

The first time you listen to it, you'll probably think, "Eh, so what." If you listen to it every day for a couple of weeks, it'll worm its way into your subconscious and you'll probably end up listening to it every day.

Love Cajun music.

I've gotten exposed to it through the occasional movie ("The Big Easy" comes to mind. Later, it was "In the Electric Mist.") Cajun sounds either joyous or soulful to me.

I speak no French (of course, I'm not sure a Frenchman would understand Cajun:facepalm::LOL:)

Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of this song as the Cajun National Anthem. Great song - great rendition.

Out of the blue, popped up into my head, and stayed there!

I remember them blasting this loud at school on the last day. I was in middle school, ha ha.

I am a musician and I do it for a hobby . Last night my partner and I played this song and we got a really good applause ….This song has lyrics that are something special . The song
Is ( Ragpickers Dream ..the song by Mark Knopfler . ) If you listen to the song a couple times you get the vibe. Two hobos dreaming about a very nice Christmas . One part they are at a nice restaurant and they tip a waitress 10.00 . At the end they return to reality .

Back
Top Bottom