ER Forum Cookbook -- Recipe Posting Thread

sweet potato pan pie

i don't share this recipe with just anyone, ya know. got it years ago from a cousin. just made some tonight. it is soooooo goooood. mmmmmmmm.

here's what you do:

combine:

3 cups mashed sweet potato
1/3 cup brown sugar firm packed (i use a bit less)
1/3 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites (beat into cooled mixture or into milk before blending)

pour into greased baking dish

in bowl knead together:

1/2 cup brown sugar firm packed (again, i use a bit less)
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup chopped pecans (i chop partly fine & partly coarse)
2 tablespoons butter

ok, i totally cheat here and double the topping portions from what's shown above.

cover potato mixture with even layer of topping and decorate with whole peacans. do not schmush the topping down; it will fall into place during cooking.

cook 30-38 minutes at 350 degrees. let stand 10 minutes.

serve hot, room temp or chilled. delicious!

edit: this is really a recipe you have to play with. i made too much topping which i should have corrected for by doubling the potato mixture. also next time i have to remember to cut back on the sugar in both parts by at least 1/3rd.

img_535415_0_490aaaf9796b9370884635e37572fff7.jpg

Last edited:
Stream of Consciousness chef's salad:

Start with large tupperware(or similar) container
Chop up cooked meat (goat chicken beef turkey lamb)
Chop up raw veggies
Snip fresh herbs
Add wine vinegar, cold pressed vegetable oil, touch of mustard, touch of soy sauce
Put lid on container and pitch roll yaw
Chill overnight
Serve with glass of wine

Was in a hurry with family visiting and I almost never ever cook meat (so I'm no good at it). These turned out perfectly... moist, tender, would make again.

Take a pork tenderloin, coat with olive oil, sprinkle with finely minced garlic (fresh garlic from the farm!) and herbs de provence (or italian seasoning if you prefer). Then, I rolled it in panko (use a regular bread crumb if you prefer) and placed in my roasting pan. I then mixed some panko and olive oil and packed it around the top and sides of the tenderloin.

Baked at 425 until the center read 165f, let stand for 10 minutes. Served with blanched carrots and mashed red potatoes.

Bread crumbs get toasted nicely so it presents well enough. Oil and bread help seal in the moisture of the meat.

Good Idea for Folks New to Thanksgiving Turkey Responsibilities

BAKED STUFFED TURKEY
When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me who are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

12-18 Lb. Turkey
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good.)
1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT) Salt/pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven.

Listen for the popping sounds. When the turkey's ass blows the oven door open it's done!

Ha

Heath Bar!

1/2 pound Butter
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Almonds, finely chopped (up to 1 cup)(I used food processor and chopped fine)
1/3 cup Chocolate chips (Use Sam’s Belgian milk chocolate bar from Wal-Mart)
1 to 2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine first 3 ingredients and boil (if you melt some of the butter before you add the sugar it works better) (don’t add almonds till the sugar and butter are mixed), stirring constantly until it thickens and looks like a brown paper bag. Remove from heat stir in vanilla. Pour on no stick or greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate on top. Let melt and spread smooth over the mixture. Let cool and harden. Break into pieces.

(I put it in the freezer for fast cooling. It took overnight to harden the chocolate when I didn’t)

These things are really easy to make, you don't need a candy thermometer, and they really taste like a Heath Bar.

Mexican Pork Chops (healthy and cheap)

1 lb. pork chops (no bone)
1 onion chopped
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1/2 cup salsa
2 cups corn
1 1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. cumin

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Brown pork chops in large skillet(sprayed with Pam) on medium high heat about two minutes on each side.

Remove pork chops and place in 3 Qt. casserole dish. Respray skillet with Pam and brown onions until tender. Add other ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil until heated through.

Pour tomato/corn mixture on top of pork chops in casserole dish. Bake, covered with foil in oven for 45-50 minutes.

Enjoy!

Each serving is about 250 calories, makes 4 servings.

I recommend serving on a bed of brown rice.

mickeyd's Caravelle Grilled Shrimp

Ingredients:

1# large shrimp
¾ Cup Olive Oil
Juice of 4 Key limes
1t Season Salt
1t Garlic powder
1t black pepper
2t minced garlic (more to taste)
2 cups Caravelle sweet chili sauce.

Instructions:

Peal and devain shrimp. Place shrimp in shallow bowl. Combine all ingredients listed (except Caravelle sauce) in another bowl to make a marinade. Whisk to combine, and drizzle marinade over the shrimp. All shrimp must be covered by marinade in bowl. Cover w/Saran wrap. Place in refrigerator at least 1 hour.

Prepare coals on outdoor grill ½ hour before grilling. Prepare cooking basket with foil on one side. Arrange shrimp in basket on foil. Paint Caravelle sauce directly on shrimp. Place on indirect outdoor grill for 8-10 minutes. Remove from indirect grill, paint more Caravelle sauce on shrimp and place directly over charcoal fire for 2 minutes.

Noodles with veggies and ham

Sorry, I don't have a better name for this recipe. Nor am I exactly sure on the proportions (measuring is for sissies). However, to the best of my knowledge, this is roughly what went into dinner last night. It turned out well.

16 oz fusilli pasta
ham, diced (I probably used about 2 cups)
5 oz chevre goat cheese
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, cut into sticks
2 medium zucchini, cut into sticks
parsley (probably about 1/4 cup) chopped fine
basil, fresh and chopped fine or dried.. to taste, I probably used about 2 tablespoons dried.
ground pepper to taste

Boil the pasta until al dente (about 10 minutes). Reserve about a cup of the noodle water and drain the rest.

In a separate saucepan, heat a few tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic for about 1 minute. Add the ham and continue for about a minute. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the carrots and zucchini. Cover and steam for about 10 minutes until the carrots are tender. Remove the cover. Add the goat cheese, parsley and and mix well. Add the noodles and combine. If the dish feels a little dry, mix in some of the noodle water.

Serve.

Feeds 4ish.

A few tips on making this.
- The trick with the garlic is to get the oil hot enough that it sautés well but doesn't caramelize. Just watch it and react accordingly.

- When cooking pasta, I get the water to a boil and then add about 1-2 tablespoons of salt. I always reserve about a cup of water after I'm done (just lay a 2-cup measuring cup on it's side and you've got enough). You can add it back in with your sauce if you need to loosen the pasta.

- To make sticks, cut your veggie into 2 inch lengths, then cut it lengthwise into 3rds and then rotate it and cut it into 3rds again. You'll have fairly good looking sticks quickly! It's a great alternative to chopping as it gives a nicer presentation, in my opinion.

- This is a great vegetarian dish if you just remove the ham. That's actually how I generally make this dish.

1 c. butter
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. water
1 tsp. Karo syrup
1/2 c. chopped almonds
1 12 to 16 oz chocolate bar (I use Hershey Symphony)

Melt butter in saucepan. Pour in sugar, add water, syrup and almonds. Bring to hard crack stage, 290 degrees on medium heat, stir constantly. Pour on buttered or non-stick cookie sheet. On top of toffee spread the chocolate while still warm (heat from mixture will melt it). Allow to completely cool before breaking into pieces.

You can also add 2 teaspoons of vanilla after taking it off the heat.

The best lime pie I've ever had...

Filling:
Juice of 5-6 limes (6 key limes if you want it tart, 5 regular limes if you want it sweeter)
3 teaspoons grated lime zest (zest from about 3-4 limes)
5 large egg yolks (or 6 small)
1 14oz can plus additional 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk

Crust:
1 1/2 cup finely crushed graham crackers
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter at room temperature
1 teaspoon almond extract

Topping:
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 325 F.

Put yolks in a large bowl and whisk in zest - about 2-3 minutes (slightly frothy). Slowly stir in milk and then lime juice. Put aside.

In a smaller bowl, mix the graham crackers with the sugars. Cut in butter. Sprinkle in almond extract and combine well. Press into a 9" pie pan. Be sure to press up on the sides as well.

Bake the crust for 12 minutes. Cool slightly

Heat oven to 350 F.

Pour filling into pie shell. Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven. Cool. Refrigerate until chilled (3-4 hours).

Using an electric mixer (or just whisk really fast), whip heavy cream until it starts to solidify and slowly whip in sugar. Top pie and serve.

I've got a pie chilling right now where I added some cinnamon to the crust. I think that'll give it a nice edge but will report back after due tasting. To make it easy on yourself, just get the graham cracker crumbs predone. To really save time, just get a pre-made crust.

Oh, about 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (I think... I usually don't measure stuff) added a nice complexity to the crust. That's now my ammended recipe. I'm guessing that switching lemon for lime would be pretty tasty as well.

I like your Mexican Pork Chops recipe Miss LaLa. Heres mine:

BBQ Baked Pork Chops

Place thick cut chop on foil.
Layer on 1 vidalia onion slice, 1 piece green pepper, 1 pineapple ring.
Add one pat of butter in center of pineapple ring and top with 1 teaspoon teriaki sauce.
Wrap foil tightly and place on hot grill for 8-10 minutes.

I usually do 4 chops, all wrapped individually. They cook fast. Its easy to overcook them. Its great the way the flavors blend together. Serve and top with the juices. I always try to get a picture, but they disappear way too fast.

pardon the food-related yet noncookbook item. seemed worthy of mention but not of it's own thread.

restaurant recommendation: Pei Wei Asian Diner

brother & sil introduced me to it last week. been craving their thai dynamite tofu & veggi dish for two days now. problem is i just had to drive 30 miles round trip for some, so of course i got two orders. i was pretty sure the cops would understand me doing 80 on the interstate if they just opened my trunk and took a whiff. "but officer, i have chinese!" just finished the first batch. wish i bought more. soooo good.

this is a fast food version of pf chang's, the parent company. they plan to open about five or so satellite pei wei's in the area of existing pf changs. try it if you've got one. enjoy.

awesome pork chop recipe

I cleaned out my cupboards recently and found a can of cranberry sauce that I needed to use up. So, I went searching for a recipe to use it in and found this:

Skillet Cranberry Pork Chops - Cranberry Pork Chop Recipe

It's soooooooooooo good! I forgot to add the ketchup, and I think I'll keep it that way as it came out perfect. The sauce is slightly sweet but not overbearing and the chops come out so tender since they cook in the sauce a long time.

This is a definite keeper. DH was only going to have a few bites since he was too full from eating a late lunch...but loved it so much he ate the whole chop.

I have a similar thing I make but with a lot less ingredients...I think it ends up with the same base components...

I use a large can of mandarin oranges and a bottle of heinz 57 sauce, over either pork chops or chicken. I bake the chops/chicken in the oven until they're about 75% done while I'm simmering the two sauce components in a saucepan until its starting to thicken...pour over the chops/chicken and finish baking.

Probably somewhat less tart than that cranberry version. Pretty good for easy/instant food.

Cranberry sauce is also really good as a condiment on cold turkey/chicken sandwiches. Just smear a bunch on the bread. Please leave off the mayo. :p

For most pork/fowl dishes you can make a nice sauce with any jam/preserves thinned in a pan with wine, maybe a dash or two of soy sauce and/or vinegar. Alternative is any dried fruit simmered in the wine until tender with a little soy sauce. Quality of the wine is irrelevant. Pork tenderloin is pretty boring on its own...with a little cherry or raisin red wine sauce its pretty dang tasty...

I cleaned out my cupboards recently and found a can of cranberry sauce that I needed to use up. So, I went searching for a recipe to use it in and found this:

Skillet Cranberry Pork Chops - Cranberry Pork Chop Recipe

It's soooooooooooo good! I forgot to add the ketchup, and I think I'll keep it that way as it came out perfect. The sauce is slightly sweet but not overbearing and the chops come out so tender since they cook in the sauce a long time.

This is a definite keeper. DH was only going to have a few bites since he was too full from eating a late lunch...but loved it so much he ate the whole chop.
Mmmmm! That really does sound good! I printed it out, and will give it a try sometime soon! Thanks!!!
food-smiley-016.gif

this is a fast food version of pf chang's, the parent company. they plan to open about five or so satellite pei wei's in the area of existing pf changs. try it if you've got one. enjoy.

PF Changs is another one with a gluten-free menu. I'm not sure about Pei-Wei though. Sort of doubt it.

Pei Wei is really, really good. One of Gabes favorite places to eat. Cheap kids meals...its like $4 for a kid portion of rice or noodles and ginger or teriyaki chicken and a drink.

Need gravy recipe.....

....for chicken fried steak. Sausage gravy would be ok, but I've had white gravies without sausage that seemed better for ***. Red-eye?-isn't that ham based? How do you get enough fat for the roux?

I use a lot of butter and bacon grease in my red-eye gravy--plus the strong brewed coffee to stretch it out. Best served over shrimp and grits, though.

Honestly I've never been able to make real diner ***, that is why I often order it in places that look likely to have a good one. But this sure is making me hungry!

I use a lot of butter and bacon grease in my red-eye gravy--plus the strong brewed coffee to stretch it out. Best served over shrimp and grits, though.

Wow, you have almost all of the basic food groups mentioned there! Butter, bacon grease, coffee, shrimp, and grits! Add in some cheese, garlic, onions, and hot peppers, and you'd really have the bases covered! :D

Back
Top Bottom