Experiences using Chantix to quit smoking

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Has anybody used the drug Chantix to help quit smoking?

People have reported depressions and some suicidal thoughts when taking this drug. How much of this is scare stories picked up by our media and how much is something of real concern is a mystery to us.

He would have to take the drug for 12 weeks, so it is not a life sentence. And he will gladly put of with reasonable side effects if he can finally quit smoking.

So, if you have used the drug, I would appreciate hearing if it helped you or not. And, what problems it may have caused.

Has anybody used the drug Chantix to help quit smoking?

People have reported depressions and some suicidal thoughts when taking this drug. How much of this is scare stories picked up by our media and how much is something of real concern is a mystery to us.

He would have to take the drug for 12 weeks, so it is not a life sentence. And he will gladly put of with reasonable side effects if he can finally quit smoking.

So, if you have used the drug, I would appreciate hearing if it helped you or not. And, what problems it may have caused.

My gal tried it and didn't like it at all. She is a very caring person and had a stressful job at the time (car dealership service manager) and with Chantix she just didn't care. About anything - the job, the screaming customers, her honey, life.. She stopped Chantix and kept smoking. Eventually, when we moved into a house we had fully redone, she went to taking nicotine lozenges instead of smoking and has been getting her nico-fix that way for the last eighteen years.

Even if you can't quit the nicotine, at least quit the hot smoke, tar, and other chemicals. My mother got her nicotine (fairly unadulterated) from Blu e-cigs for the last 5 years of her life. There was an immediate notable improvement in her overall health when she traded her cigarettes for Blu. Blu also improved her relationships with those who loved her because the awful smoke was no longer between us. And Blu was about 1/4 the price of cigarettes. In addition, we would have never allowed her to live with us had she not stopped cigarettes. I am very thankful for the existence of Blu e-cigs!

I tried it years ago and had wild nightmares. And it didn't stop my habit.

Well yes but..

It was my buddy. He'd kicked everything, including free basing cocaine, except tobacco. For this guy Chantix was a miracle. I'd seen him try everything to stop tobacco, Chantix was life changing for him.

My DW slowly cut out combustion and then cut out vaping. My point is there's no right or wrong way. Good luck on your journey.

ETA: My quitting started in a nuerosurgeon's office. He took an extra few minutes to explain why quitting was important to me! I still thank that Doctor.

Last edited:
My 88 yo mother... a smoker for 70 years... just quit cold turkey. Her kids are all walking around shaking their heads in disbelief.

find a local cancer treatment centre and sit in the waiting room for an hour.

in my clan, the smokers tend to get called upstairs a decade before the non smokers

unnecessary addition to years of widows and widowers left alone

I now regret not hounding my father to quit. The price is being paid by my mother left behind

once terminal, he quit with little effort, with a patch and anti depressants

your heath is a duty to your spouse

My brother doesn't talk about it, but my mom said it caused some kind of irreversible damage to my brother. Sorry, no details. I just know if one of my friends or family asked me, I'd say "maybe as a last resort".

Chantix was a MIRACLE drug for me ! I was smoking 2 packs a day for over 20 years. After 3 days on Chantix I had to FORCE myself to have a cigarette (you can continue smoking during the 1st week). The only side effect I had were amazing technicolor dreams. I wanted to stay on Chantix just for those dreams ! My doctor thought I would need to stay on for 3 months but after a month we decided I could try and stop. Never looked back. Never felt like an ex-smoker .... felt like a NON smoker.

find a local cancer treatment centre and sit in the waiting room for an hour.

in my clan, the smokers tend to get called upstairs a decade before the non smokers

unnecessary addition to years of widows and widowers left alone

I now regret not hounding my father to quit. The price is being paid by my mother left behind

once terminal, he quit with little effort, with a patch and anti depressants

your heath is a duty to your spouse

And a duty to your children, grandchildren, etc. I too wish I had hounded my mother more once she was living close to me. Cigarettes are an awful plague on our families and healthcare system. Do I sound a little angry? You bet!

I took it and i stopped smoking but I only took it for a few weeks though, like 2 or 3 weeks

There are the weird dreams, I puked a lot and I got really weirded out on it, but I quit

Don't drink if you take it - it's a very hard drug

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom