Favorite TV series

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned. I'll add original Sherlock (Jeremy Brett) and all the after school shows that were on when I was a kid. Gilligans Island, Get Smart, Rat Patrol, Rocket Robin Hood, etc..

The only shows that I was actually sad to see end were Cheers, MASH and Seinfeld.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer is very high up there, not because the show was perfect, but because it paved the way for high quality drama deliberately aimed at a youthful audience. It turned a whole genre from vacuous puff into something worthy of being watched. Fans of the show are torn about whether the show should have ended after Season Five or not - that results in a much more perfect series, as such, but would have excluded the two best episodes of the series (Hush, and Once More With Feeling).

My favorite of Buffy is seasons 1-3. Yet my favorite episodes probably are Hush and The Body (so sad, about Buffy's mom and the acting so good in that one).

Season 6 was depressing and left me disappointed, but Season 7 redeemed itself, especially the last 5 shows when Faith returned.

Oh yeah, as you can tell, Buffy is my favorite TV Series :cool:

Simpsons. You are rewarded if you pay attention to the little details.

The Office is also that way to a point.

Two shows I love that ended way too early:
Friday Night Lights
Freaks and Geeks

Original Star Trek. More popular now than when new, the staying power of the franchise puts it at the top of my list.

Dang...now I have to go look up a few of these. Wonder if they were on when I was out of the country. I had forgot about West Wing....
Rocket Robin Hood? Gotta look that one up.

Maybe one would have to not be an early retiree to remember That Was The Week That Was? Still holds up over time. No one currently watching Big Bank Theory?

The Wire
Frasier
ST:TNG
MASH
West Wing
(all FIREees watch The Big Bank Theory, starring Ben Bernanke)

Last edited:
Many of my favorites have already been mentioned; but, here are a few that I loved as a child which I am not going to watch again now because I am sure that would kill the magic:

• Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot
  • Ultraman
  • Speed Racer

Then, a bit later in life, these were my favorites at the time:

• The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • Red Dwarf (which seems to be back; I need to check that out)

Some current favorites not already mentioned:

• Game of Thrones (I am surprised that has not already been listed.)
  • Southpark
  • Family Guy
  • Cougar Town (No idea why; but, I really enjoy this nonsense.)
  • Walking Dead (I am surprised that has not already been listed as well.)

Old School

Mary Tyler Moore
Original SNL
McMillan & Wife
Columbo
McCloud
Wide World of Sports
Lou Grant
Newhart
Wild, Wild, West
Perry Mason

M*A*S*H and "The Rifleman," on MeTV. That is all we watch around here on a regular basis. If I run across "As Time Goes By" or "Doc Martin" then I will watch those, too.

In no particular order:

Downton Abbey, Poirot, 24, Breaking Bad, John Adams, Rome, Game of Thrones, House of Cards (netflix version), Spartacus, the Tudors, Keeping up Appearances, Grimm, Veep, BIg Bang Theory, Firefly, etc...

The Night Stalker
West wing
Call the Midwife
Mr Ed (cures insomnia)

Gunsmoke.

Saw a bit of the tail end.

Me - Midsomer Murders, Downton Abbey, Foyle's War
DW - NCIS, Jag, Army Wives, Mentalist

Currently I like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, HGTV (particularly House Hunters International and Love it or List it) and most of the PBS offerings such as Downton Abbey, Inspector Lewis, Wallander, Poirot, etc. I also watch some of the cooking shows (The Barefoot Contessa, Giada, etc.) and also Anthony Bourdain's travel shows, Antiques Roadshow and Market Warriors.

WhoDares, did you see the house hunters intl about the couple buying a B and B in Lima? We stayed with them last year. What a lovely sweet couple! I've never seen the show, but they were excited about having even on it.

Most of my favorites have been mentioned (e.g., the original Law and Order, Breaking Bad, etc.) but my current fav is JUSTIFIED. Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned it yet which surprises me.

There is an episode where the two antagonists are describing their opinions of the other to a "neutral" party. For those who watch the show, Raylan is giving a "left handed" complement regarding Boyd Crowder's loyalty to Ms Johnson (the "coal lady"). She responds "Sounds like a love story". Indeed. Both have tried to kill each other and both have saved the other's life. Sounds like a "love story" to me.

I'm starting to get into THE AMERICANS. Frightening what all of this (JUSTIFIED, BREAKING BAD, THE AMERICANS) says about me. YMMV

WhoDares, did you see the house hunters intl about the couple buying a B and B in Lima? We stayed with them last year. What a lovely sweet couple! I've never seen the show, but they were excited about having even on it.

YES! I did see that episode. If I remember correctly, the woman was from CA and met the fellow in Peru while taking a year off to travel. After they bought the place, they did a wonderful job of decorating their lovely rooms with local flair. They did seem like a very personable couple, and I believe they chose the home because it was in a good area and also close to the airport. They rented 3 rooms as I recall, and the episode ended with them showing a recently arrived young man to his room.

So interesting that you and your husband stayed there also!

Here are some shows I've enjoyed (all Netflix streaming):

- Archer (very funny, at least to me; animated spy spoof)
- Home Movies (more Jon Benjamin; recommended to anyone who liked Archer)
- Arrested Development (one of the smarter comedies around, great cast)
- The Office (forgot how funny this was; good in both American and British versions)
- Comedy Bang Bang (witty and weird)
- Kids in the Hall (kind of hit and miss, but I enjoyed a lot of it)
- Louie (weird mix of depressing bits and comedy)
- 30 Rock (good for a second watch in reruns)
- Trailer Park Boys (raunchy but very funny, imo)
- Parks and Recreation (one of my favorite recent series; great to watch again)

You'll probably notice a theme there. I like watching quirky comedies. I tend to avoid the heavy dramatic stuff, though I have enjoyed some dramatic series in the past (e.g., Sopranos). I've got a couple ideas for dramas from this thread, and I'm going to give them a go, but work is stressful, so I generally like to watch comedies.

Last edited:
In their day:
All in the Family
Mash
Star Trek
Maverick
Rockford Files
Get Smart
Laugh In
Carol Burnett Show
Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour
Ed Sullivan Show
Rocky and Bullwinkle
The Muppets Show

Current or more recent :
Justified
Breaking Bad
Dexter
The Wire
The Closer
NYPD Blue
Sopranos (up until the last couple of seasons)
PBS News Hour
60 Minutes
Frontline
Nova
Downton Abbey
Foyles’ War
Darling Buds of May

Back
Top Bottom