FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

Just saw an announcement Hy vee stores will be giving 3rd doses as soon as Monday..others should follow quickly.

But here in NC when you show up to get your vaccine you have to show your ID and then they check the NC databank to see if you have already been vaccinated. So DH is thinking of driving an hour or so to another state where they would not check the NC database.
From what I understand you should just need a prescription from your doctor.

But they might even be doing the honor system.

CDC OKed it today.

I am not immunocompromised, but I will take a booster when it's recommended and available in the US. In the meantime, I am minimizing being in crowds indoors and masking up/social distancing whenever in any doubt.
+1
Wife and I both completed our Moderna vaccines mid February and will take the booster when it become available. We continue to mask anytime we are going to be around people (which we limit to a few friends who have also been fully vaccinated and take the same precautions) and social distance an actual 6 ft. Rarely do we go inside anywhere except Costco and Commissary for grocery shopping or the doctors office. We know where everything is located in each store so our trips are fast. I quit bothering with checking prices and just get what is on the list and keep rolling the cart. Two days ago we were able to complete our shopping in Costco in 20 minutes during the early hours when the store has been vacant all night and the customers are considerably less. I have also limited doctor and dentist visits unless medically necessary. i have even walked out of a medical facility when I see patients without masks and notified the doctor why I cancelled.
You may think this is to cautious but I live in the Florida (one of the top 3 states for cases) and in the worst city for Covid in the state.

Cheers!

Maybe when there is data showing that immunity is fading in over 65s?

Yesterday we were at the hospital giving blood samples as part of the mixed vaccine trial we are on and we asked this same question as currently the UK is planning boosters initially for vulnerable groups only. Our next and last blood sample will be given in February and unless we are showing reduced immunity then a booster may not be considered necessary.

Booster trials are ongoing in the UK. (Started in May this year)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/world-first-covid-19-vaccine-booster-study-launches-in-uk

Thank goodness the UK is doing this kind of testing.

That could be risky if you ever need an official record. That could make it harder to travel or get into facilities requiring full vaccination, taking into account any future requirements such as booster shots.

I suspect that by next week, you’d be able to find somewhere locally. The CDC approved this just now, so it could take a day or two before the new rule gets processed. Fortunately, there should be plenty of vaccines available. At least that problem has been solved.

If that became an issue (which I doubt immune suppressed folks would face due to lack of travel during high covid times) , the person could simply get a 4th legit doctor approved booster, since the record would not show the 3rd shot.

So from your earlier post do you think it's worthwhile to try and get the third shot to be Moderna on the off change it gives you a little more bang for your buck.

Not necessarily. I probably would stick with a 3rd shot of Pfizer for myself, unless I received compelling advice (from public health experts or my doctor) to do otherwise. I have yet to see any results from the trials that are looking at "mix and match" vaccinations.

From what I understand you should just need a prescription from your doctor.

But they might even be doing the honor system.

Here in Georgia, I'm pretty sure it will be the honor system. I don't think they will even ask people who show up for a 3rd shot if they're immunocompromised. Vaccine doses are going unused and expiring left and right here in the South, so I doubt that anyone seeking a booster shot will face any sort of resistance.

DH has just made an appointment for the third shot of Moderna for next week at CVS. He had to certify he was immunocompromised but no doctor statement needed. YAH!

DH has just made an appointment for the third shot of Moderna for next week at CVS. He had to certify he was immunocompromised but no doctor statement needed. YAH!

Great to hear the good news!

We had the J&J vaccine. Does anyone know what booster is recommended for those whose initial vaccine was J&J?

But here in NC when you show up to get your vaccine you have to show your ID and then they check the NC databank to see if you have already been vaccinated. So DH is thinking of driving an hour or so to another state where they would not check the NC database.

Wal Mart has a policy in place to not ask for nor require ID in any shape, form, or fashion. This policy was put into force a little while back in an attempt to get folks who may not have an ID for whatever reason vaccinated. I have PM'ed Harlee specific details, but I have it on very good authority that it is not difficult to get an "off the record" booster shot at Wal Mart. ;)

Woohoo!! Great news!!!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited:
That’s kinda nutty. If you have a compromised immune system, and you got J&J, you don’t get the booster. Seems like those people are really getting screwed.

Edit: apparently there will be another announcement at a later date for JnJ.

I agree, seems strange. Luckily we are very healthy and relatively young so I’m willing to wait and see.

That’s kinda nutty. If you have a compromised immune system, and you got J&J, you don’t get the booster. Seems like those people are really getting screwed.

Edit: apparently there will be another announcement at a later date for JnJ.

Probably they are being cautious, don't have enough data on mixing of shots.
OR J&J didn't think about applying for permission to have a booster shot as quick.

DW asked me yesterday, since we have Phizer, should we get a Moderna booster shot :confused:

DW asked me yesterday, since we have Phizer, should we get a Moderna booster shot :confused:

The mixed vaccine trial my wife and I are involved in includes mixing Pfizer and Moderna. 4 months in and if there had been adverse reactions in receiving the 2nd dose they would have published interim results as they did with the trial of mixing AZ with Pfizer where the side effects were a little worse than receiving 2 of the same. Whether or not the immune response is increased with mixed doses is still to be determined.

Thank you for posting this info! DH is hoping to hear from the VA on Monday to get his 3rd dose but if he doesn't I will let him know CVS is giving the 3rd dose so he can make an appointment there instead.

I got a female friend in Toronto got her first shot using Pfizer. She did had some difficulties and was even tested for Covid because of her reaction to the vaccine. Her 2nd shoot 4 week's later turn out to be Modern. After few days she started having very serous medical issues and even lost like 30 lbs. This is a very small petite female. I immediately thought of MISS, Multiple Inflammation Syndrome and sent her the link to the CDC where it explains it further. She is doing much better after asking the ER doctor to check the information from the CDC, it appears I was correct on my gut feeling. I am not a doctor but did play a Medic role in the reserves!

An informative article about Israel's current covid experience. It has been reported by the NY Times & Washington Post that the US government will soon announce the need for booster shots. Data from Israel is a large part of the reason.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08/grim-warning-israel-vaccination-blunts-does-not-defeat-delta

"Israel has among the world’s highest levels of vaccination for COVID-19, with 78% of those 12 and older fully vaccinated, the vast majority with the Pfizer vaccine."

"People vaccinated in January had a 2.26 times greater risk for a breakthrough infection than those vaccinated in April."

" “I watch [Israeli data] very, very closely because it is some of the absolutely best data coming out anywhere in the world,” says David O’Connor, a viral sequencing expert at the University of Wisconsin, Madison."

"What is clear is that “breakthrough” cases are not the rare events the term implies. As of 15 August, 514 Israelis were hospitalized with severe or critical COVID-19, a 31% increase from just 4 days earlier."

An informative article about Israel's current covid experience. It has been reported by the NY Times & Washington Post that the US government will soon announce the need for booster shots. Data from Israel is a large part of the reason.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08/grim-warning-israel-vaccination-blunts-does-not-defeat-delta

"Israel has among the world’s highest levels of vaccination for COVID-19, with 78% of those 12 and older fully vaccinated, the vast majority with the Pfizer vaccine."

"People vaccinated in January had a 2.26 times greater risk for a breakthrough infection than those vaccinated in April."

Does it say what the rate is? Like, April breakthrough rate 0.1%, January breakthrough rate 0.226%? (I hope it's lower)

" “I watch [Israeli data] very, very closely because it is some of the absolutely best data coming out anywhere in the world,” says David O’Connor, a viral sequencing expert at the University of Wisconsin, Madison."

"What is clear is that “breakthrough” cases are not the rare events the term implies. As of 15 August, 514 Israelis were hospitalized with severe or critical COVID-19, a 31% increase from just 4 days earlier."

Back
Top Bottom