FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

An informative article about Israel's current covid experience. It has been reported by the NY Times & Washington Post that the US government will soon announce the need for booster shots. Data from Israel is a large part of the reason.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08/grim-warning-israel-vaccination-blunts-does-not-defeat-delta

"Israel has among the world’s highest levels of vaccination for COVID-19, with 78% of those 12 and older fully vaccinated, the vast majority with the Pfizer vaccine."

"

Israel has an excellent system of medical records. This older episode of the Post Corona podcast has a great explaination of how tech is used in their medical system

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...future-unfolding/id1539292794?i=1000511737687

Looks like we're all going to get booster shots eight months following our initial full vaccination. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/17/us-to-recommend-covid-vaccine-booster-shots.html

Interesting that it's eight months and not six and that it's likely to be mid/late September before they're officially available. Most folks over 60 that I know didn't get their 2nd dose before mid/late February, which means they won't be eligible until late October. The Delta surge is highly likely to be over by then. I realize the booster shot is not meant solely to protect against Delta, but there can be little doubt that a) many, many thousands of older folks could benefit from a booster shot right now, b) vaccines are widely, readily available, and c) doses are going unused and expiring in many places around the country. Really puzzling. :confused:

Interesting that it's eight months and not six and that it's likely to be mid/late September before they're officially available. Most folks over 60 that I know didn't get their 2nd dose before mid/late February, which means they won't be eligible until late October. The Delta surge is highly likely to be over by then. I realize the booster shot is not meant solely to protect against Delta, but there can be little doubt that a) many, many thousands of older folks could benefit from a booster shot right now, b) vaccines are widely, readily available, and c) doses are going unused and expiring in many places around the country. Really puzzling. :confused:

Lots of things regarding our reaction to Covid are puzzling. Hindsight is always 20/20. IMHO, there will be several very good studies done by Ph.D. candidates and other researchers on both the communication and medical aspects of our response. Hopefully, we will learn and do it better in the future.

I plan some major traveling in Spring of next year while the kiddies are still in school ( I hope so!). So I may time my shot to make sure I have good protection during that time.

So three weeks was too soon, but the fact is that if they’d chosen a longer period, vaccines would have started way later. Tough trade off.

And with a novel virus you learn as you go…..

I’m a bit surprised if it’s general (unlike the immunocompromised EUA) and not over 65 or whatever. Although it’s going to be those older and sick folks who reach the 8 months first anyway.

DH would be eligible in Oct. Me not until late Dec.

Last edited:

We don't know that people less then 6 to 7 months from their last does would benefit. Maybe, maybe not....

I'm as pro vaccine as anybody but I don't plan on getting a booster until the benefit is clear.

I'd get a booster as often as it's deemed available to me. I'm not going to push for earlier, as the natural schedule setup by the first distribution, if repeated, would ensure risk-appropriate-staggering.

So now I think I'll get a flu shot as soon as early september, to get that out of the way. I wouldn't hit 8 months on the covid jab till christmas.

8 months away puts me in January. Hopefully, will be a simple as walking over to a nearby pharmacy.

My 8th month anniversary is early Nov. I do hope this time there is a better way to schedule.

December for DGF and me. Traveling before that time, so hopefully okay.

My wife and I both got our 2nd Moderna vaccine in mid-Feb. She just came home this afternoon from getting a Moderna booster. It surprised us both that it was available for us. It has been exactly 6 months. Neither of us had any reaction to the 2 original injections but I will wait until tomorrow to get a booster so I can make sure she is alright from hers. One of us needs to be functional just in case.

Cheers!

Not long ago Moderna announced their vaccine only dropped from 95 to 93% efficacy after 6 months. Other than those with immune compromised systems why would the average senior need a booster after 8 months? I have a hard time believing the efficacy will drop off the chart after just 2 more months.

Not long ago Moderna announced their vaccine only dropped from 95 to 93% efficacy after 6 months. Other than those with immune compromised systems why would the average senior need a booster after 8 months? I have a hard time believing the efficacy will drop off the chart after just 2 more months.

So Pfizer and Moderna can sell more?

Snark and sarcasm are unwelcome in this thread. Let’s please keep this thread on track and helpful.
My recollection of the data coming out of Israel shows a sharp decline in effectiveness after 6 months for the Pfizer vaccine. There has been no equivalent peer reviewed study for Moderna. They announced a high effectiveness at the 6 month point but not later, gave no supporting data and no studies, and the announcement was part of the earnings release.

And with a novel virus you learn as you go…..

I’m a bit surprised if it’s general (unlike the immunocompromised EUA) and not over 65 or whatever. Although it’s going to be those older and sick folks who reach the 8 months first anyway.

Remember, officials now know that nearly 50% of the population won't be interested, so no need to have large gaps between eligible groups in sequence.

Might as well just open the door to anyone over 60 as a starting point, and use the soon to expire shots.

My wife and I both got our 2nd Moderna vaccine in mid-Feb. She just came home this afternoon from getting a Moderna booster. It surprised us both that it was available for us. It has been exactly 6 months. Neither of us had any reaction to the 2 original injections but I will wait until tomorrow to get a booster so I can make sure she is alright from hers. One of us needs to be functional just in case.

Cheers!

I got a 3rd shot (Moderna) a couple of weeks ago. The circumstances aren't important. The ONLY side effect I had was a little soreness in the arm that lasted about 2 hours and that was it. No other symptoms at all.

The original statements from both Pfizer and Moderna about high efficacy lasting 6 months or longer were based on continuing to observe participants in their trials. They were the first people to be fully vaccinated. When 6 months had passed for those participants, Delta was not present yet. That is a very important aspect of what we are seeing now.

Decisions being made now in Israel, some European countries, and the USA, are based on real world data, esp. from Israel, which was the first place to fully vaccinate a large population. Delta makes up the vast majority of new cases there, here, and elsewhere. Their data is very reliable. And in the article I gave a link for above, and in the previous links for the Israeli Director of Public Health Services interview on Face the Nation on August 1, the data appear to be very clear about a significant dropoff in efficacy, at least for the Pfizer vaccine.

I got a 3rd shot (Moderna) a couple of weeks ago. The circumstances aren't important. The ONLY side effect I had was a little soreness in the arm that lasted about 2 hours and that was it. No other symptoms at all.
Just curious if you had any reaction to either of the first two shots? I had little reaction to my first Moderna but much more of a reaction to my second.

8 months away puts me in January. Hopefully, will be a simple as walking over to a nearby pharmacy.

That is my hope as well. Obviously, the first rounds of the vaccine were chaotic as demand far exceeded supply earlier and the systems weren't in place. Here we have all the experience from the last 6-8 months to guide us. I would love it to be as boring as going to get a flu shot!

Cheers!

Badger, how did you and your wife qualify for the Moderna booster? DH is getting the Moderna booster tomorrow (he qualifies because he has an autoimmune disease and he had to sign a certificate to that effect)). As his caretaker I would like to go ahead and get the 3rd Moderna booster too but I it does not appear to me I qualify at this point--I am age 70 but healthy.

Just curious if you had any reaction to either of the first two shots? I had little reaction to my first Moderna but much more of a reaction to my second.

It's been a little bit but if I recall, I had more of a reaction to the 1st than the 2nd. After the 1st one, I was pretty tired and lethargic. I recall sleeping quite a bit that night and still felt beat down the next day. I don't think I had any cold like symptoms. My arm hurt pretty bad for several days. The 2nd shot had some sniffles and a sore arm that lasted a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom