Finding a vehicle is almost impossible

You all are making me feel SO GLAD that I am not in the market for another car or truck! I still have my 2009 Venza in the garage, even though I can't renew my driver's license due to vision problems so I can't drive it. Frank thinks now that I am on insulin, my vision may improve (yeah right? I seriously doubt it). But anyway that is why I still have it.

If a miracle happens and I get my license back, then I'll have the 2009 Venza in the garage waiting for me, with just 38,000 miles on it. If not, eventually I'll probably give it to Frank.

You might be stuck with 3/4 ton, and look at the fleet type trucks, those tend to be more the single cabs. They also tend to be less high end models with regard to options. Since so many people now use a pickup as a regular transportation, the mfrs sell extended or crew cab models as the most common.

I hope not, but suspect you could be right.
I do a lot of back country travel pulling a small trailer, the stiffer suspension would not be ideal.
3/4 ton GM's with the giant V-8 do seem to be available in my area.

Street,
My cousin's husband was struggling to get a truck that he wanted after his was totalled in the Florida hurricane.

He wanted a 4WD Colorado or Canyon, and nothing was available around him.

He ended up buying from one of the on line places. I believe Caravana? Anyway, it worked out good. They delivered it from AZ, and he had a time period to return it, no questions asked.

I would lean towards a new one, because they seem to want new car prices for most used vehicles.

Good luck,
JP

Well, back in for the day and see I had some great responses.

This morning I actually ordered one, a Maverick plain Jane as I could get. 4 cylinder, AWD, the only thing I splurge on was a tow package for 750$ which everything is built heavier and wiring harness is back there etc..
Total cost about 26700$ and said the longest they have had to wait for an order has been 20 weeks. If it is longer than that it will be fine for me.

When I was car shopping for DS a couple years ago, a common tactic was to start at MSRP but then have a required "package" that included $300 of stuff for $3,000 or more. I suspect that it was a way to try to dodge the manufacturer prohibiting them charging more than MSRP. It may have worked wih some buyers but didn't work with me.

So did you get the $300 worth of stuff for free - or just not buy the car?

You all are making me feel SO GLAD that I am not in the market for another car or truck! I still have my 2009 Venza in the garage, even though I can't renew my driver's license due to vision problems so I can't drive it. Frank thinks now that I am on insulin, my vision may improve (yeah right? I seriously doubt it). But anyway that is why I still have it.

If a miracle happens and I get my license back, then I'll have the 2009 Venza in the garage waiting for me, with just 38,000 miles on it. If not, eventually I'll probably give it to Frank.

Yeah, I'm just sitting here so thankful I don't need a new car. My average miles/car is 100K. Only problem is that my two cars are 5000 miles apart so I don't really have a back-up in case one of them breaks down. I found this out when my battery died (totally dead!) So, I had to hire someone to bring me a battery.

I haven’t bought from Carvana before, I wonder if all these Mavericks are really available (10 pages)?
https://www.carvana.com/cars/filter...vZGVscyI6W3sibmFtZSI6Ik1hdmVyaWNrIn1dfV19fQ==

And CarMax is showing 103 used Mavericks, I have sold to them. And they will transport to your area, so will Carvana.
https://www.carmax.com/cars?search=Ford+maverick+

At least buying cars isn’t as nasty as it was in 2021-22, market adjustments were even worse then, unless you’re trying to buy a model in high demand. There’s way too much inventory of some makes/models just sitting on dealer lots.

Attachments

• IMG_2831.jpeg
    IMG_2831.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I'm trying to replace my full size, single cab, 8' bed pickup.

I can't even find one to sit in, much less configured the way I want it.
It's down to the old big three and the largest Dodge dealer in N. California told me he thinks Ram will discontinue the single cab model next year. Wow!

I bought a 2012 Dodge Ram (the last year it was still technically a "Dodge Ram" and not just "Ram"), and even back then a "standard" (regular cab, 8-foot bed) pickup wasn't all that common.

They came out with a new Ram for 2018, but my understanding is that the new one is only offered as a half-ton, in extended-cab/6.5-foot bed or crew-cab/5.5-foot bed versions. They kept the old 2009 vintage style around and called it "Ram Classic". 3/4 ton and heavier duty models, I believe, use the old 2009 style, but they update the front clip to make it look more modern.

I think the last time I checked online to see if I could find a regular cab, 8-foot bed Ram, I had to look to the 3/4 ton model. It had something like a 6.4 Hemi, and I couldn't imagine what it would take to feed that sucker! Mine has the 5.7, and isn't *too* bad if you're gentle on it. But I can see why people go with Diesels in the larger truck ranges.

Mine should still have plenty of life in it, as it only has about 65,000 miles on it. But, I'm sure something old-age related will ultimately get to it. There's just too much plastics, electronics, and other crap in them these days.

I'm definitely not looking forward to new-truck time. I wonder if Dodge/Ram is planning to keep the regular cab around, at least in the heavier duty ranges? Seems to me there would still be some demand, for chassis/cab, work truck type buyers.

Toyotas still seem to be difficult.

For our three cars, our average mileage has crept up to 155k miles, average age 13 years. I've gotten good at dealing with their common problems, and I guess I'll have to continue. But we're just an engine or transmission away from retiring one. I finally capitulated and recently bought new windshields for both. We've been living with full length cracks for a few years. It's like having a new car now. :)

DW is reading other forums which have identical stories as the ones here. She's next up. She has no desire to start looking. So we are at least in to next winter, maybe even another 18 months or so.

Dealers have started a new tacit (or at least so it seems). A few weeks ago I found a new vehicle on-line that I was interested in. So I sent them an email to verify availability and get a ballpark cost. Well the vehicle was still there and after a few email swaps they were still asking 10k+ over the window sticker that was already over priced by another 15 to 20k (IMO). And that's after about two days of negotiations.

Anyway, I told them we were too far apart. As I've said before on this and other forums, I don't mind paying up for what I want, but I don't like feeling like I'm being ripped off. (As in this case) So we cut off our communications.

Then about a week later I started to get emails from other dealers offering to sell me a similar vehicle.:confused: (And for similar prices) Clearly they are sharing "prospective customer info" between non affiliated dealerships, which I had not seen before.

I would hazard a guess that the antitrust division of your state attorney general's office might be interested in this practice. You can usually fill out a complaint form online.

I haven’t bought from Carvana before, I wonder if all these Mavericks are really available (10 pages)?
https://www.carvana.com/cars/filter...vZGVscyI6W3sibmFtZSI6Ik1hdmVyaWNrIn1dfV19fQ==

And CarMax is showing 103 used Mavericks, I have sold to them. And they will transport to your area, so will Carvana.
https://www.carmax.com/cars?search=Ford+maverick+

At least buying cars isn’t as nasty as it was in 2021-22, market adjustments were even worse then, unless you’re trying to buy a model in high demand. There’s way too much inventory of some makes/models just sitting on dealer lots.
WOW!
I will keep watch their inventory and see if something comes up in the price range that I'm getting for the one I ordered. Thnaks

When I was car shopping for DS a couple years ago, a common tactic was to start at MSRP but then have a required "package" that included $300 of stuff for $3,000 or more. I suspect that it was a way to try to dodge the manufacturer prohibiting them charging more than MSRP. It may have worked wih some buyers but didn't work with me.

Me neither. All the cars on all the lots of the make/model/color/trim I wanted at 3 local dealers were a good $5k over the build-your-own price I knew I could get. Was told would have to order to spec and wait 3 months. Fine!

Then I found a CPO 1 year old version that was perfect match, and about $5k less than brand new, so I snapped it up. This was 2017 though, different market now.

Still, do a build online, and tell them that's what you want, no bending.

Exactly, I should have specified !/2 ton.
Most dealers don't even hear the 'single' cab part and proceed to offer their inventory of quad cab models.
As 38CHEVY454 said earlier, try a fleet vehicle.

I had a similar problem when I was looking for a very basic F-150 XL back in 2017. Finally the salesman got the message that I wanted a very basic truck with an 8 foot bed and said "Do you like white?". I bought a new F-150, white, fleet pickup without ever entering a pickup, let alone test driving one. Two days after my purchase, I couple guys drove it up to my local dealer from Farmington, NM for my first look at what I had already purchased. :LOL: It all worked out great and I love the truck and got what I wanted.

Last edited:
You can probably find a vehicle that nobody else wants. Unless they stop making them.

I have a theory. The problem is a shortage of old fashion computer chips. Some times I'd like to go back to the day of no chips. But chips do make things better in some ways. I'm guessing it will take a couple more years for the auto industry to catch up. Then they will be years behind. I think that is OK. I do not have to reboot my car while I'm driving!

I would hazard a guess that the antitrust division of your state attorney general's office might be interested in this practice. You can usually fill out a complaint form online.
Really? Never occurred to me that this might be an illegal practice. I'm not sure I see it a lot different than what a lot of social media or search engine platforms do when they collect/sell on line search data and then target users with ads and offers.

Last edited:
Good Grief! These stories remind me of a guy I used to work with back in the 1980’s. He had lived in the old Soviet Union. He finally got permission to emigrate and left for the USA. He told stories of being on waiting lists that lasted for months or years for new cars, appliances, etc.

If the UAW calls a strike, all I can say is keep your current vehicle in good repair and drive it gently. And the next time your car needs servicing bring a pan of brownies for the mechanics.

Last edited:
Good Grief! These stories remind me of a guy I used to work with back in the 1980’s. He had lived in the old Soviet Union. He finally got permission to emigrate and left for the USA. He told stories of being on waiting lists that lasted for months or years for new cars, appliances, etc.

If the UAW calls a strike, all I can say is keep your current vehicle in good repair. And the next time your car needs servicing bring a pan of brownies for the mechanics.
I've read some horror stories on a couple of cars forums I'm on about ordering cars. Waiting periods of 6 months or more are not unusual and then "some" have had their orders cancelled or reallocated "to someone else".

I bought a 2012 Dodge Ram (the last year it was still technically a "Dodge Ram" and not just "Ram"), and even back then a "standard" (regular cab, 8-foot bed) pickup wasn't all that common.

They came out with a new Ram for 2018, but my understanding is that the new one is only offered as a half-ton, in extended-cab/6.5-foot bed or crew-cab/5.5-foot bed versions. They kept the old 2009 vintage style around and called it "Ram Classic". 3/4 ton and heavier duty models, I believe, use the old 2009 style, but they update the front clip to make it look more modern.

I think the last time I checked online to see if I could find a regular cab, 8-foot bed Ram, I had to look to the 3/4 ton model. It had something like a 6.4 Hemi, and I couldn't imagine what it would take to feed that sucker! Mine has the 5.7, and isn't *too* bad if you're gentle on it. But I can see why people go with Diesels in the larger truck ranges.

Mine should still have plenty of life in it, as it only has about 65,000 miles on it. But, I'm sure something old-age related will ultimately get to it. There's just too much plastics, electronics, and other crap in them these days.

I'm definitely not looking forward to new-truck time. I wonder if Dodge/Ram is planning to keep the regular cab around, at least in the heavier duty ranges? Seems to me there would still be some demand, for chassis/cab, work truck type buyers.

I went to order a Ram 1500 Classic last week an they are no longer available. Whats on dealer lots is all there is. All 5th gen Rams are "e-torque"... something about an electric motor attached to the crankshaft as a helper.

Well, back in for the day and see I had some great responses.

This morning I actually ordered one, a Maverick plain Jane as I could get. 4 cylinder, AWD, the only thing I splurge on was a tow package for 750$ which everything is built heavier and wiring harness is back there etc..
Total cost about 26700$ and said the longest they have had to wait for an order has been 20 weeks. If it is longer than that it will be fine for me.
Street,
That looks like a fun truck. If you are going to buy something, at least get something that you want or like.

Let us know how ordering a vehicle works out.

I'm assuming the price is locked down, or can they increase it whenever they want?

My friend wants a Tacoma, and they want about twice as much. So far he hasn't bought anything.

My best friend decided to trade his 2021 Bronco Sport (which was in a fun blue color he liked a lot) for a new 2024 Bronco Sport (which is in a different blue color he likes even more). That was his only reason for changing. :cool:

He found one in a dealer inventory about and 90 minutes away and negotiated the sale via email and text messages. It was not yet on the lot, but due to arrive shortly. He picked it up about a week later. He paid MSRP.

I went to order a Ram 1500 Classic last week an they are no longer available. Whats on dealer lots is all there is. All 5th gen Rams are "e-torque"... something about an electric motor attached to the crankshaft as a helper.
Yep, I bought one of those in May. Certainly looks different "under the hood" and it get's a little better gas mileage. But that's about it.

Really? Never occurred to me that this might be an illegal practice. I'm not sure I see it a lot different than what a lot of social media or search engine platforms do when they collect/sell on line search data and then target users with ads and offers.

Imagine you haggle with Dealer 1 but can't reach agreement, so you decide to go elsewhere to see if you can do better. In the interim, Dealer 1 contacts Dealer 2 and says "this guy came in and $xxx is what I offered him." Dealer 2 contacts you and says "I see you're looking for this car, I have one for sale" so you go see Dealer 2, who offers you $xxx. Thinking that you're not going to get a better deal, you go ahead and buy it for $xxx from Dealer 2. Now, suppose Dealer 1 and Dealer 2 have agreed that they will contact each other like this when they can't make a sale. The dealers avoid bidding against each other for your business and the sales can be expected to balance out between them depending on which dealer you go to first.

That would be price fixing and a violation of the antitrust laws.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom