For Book: How Old Should This Kid Be?

Thanks for the help. I went with thirteen. Here's the first draft of the start of the flashback:

YYK8COP.png

No need to grow up too quickly

I had thought the children would be spending a scary night in the woods. It hadn't occurred to me the boy would be ogling waitresses. Forget everything I said about 12 years old; that's too young.

The dad will go back to the diner to sleep with the waitress and the kids will be alone in the woods.

But that's an excellent point. Is thirteen too young to be ogling the waitress's breasts?

If I remember 13 year old boys at all accurately, it is just about the optimum age for that behavior. Old enough to be interested and too young to notice the social cues that might lead a person to look away.

Speaking as a former teacher, of course. I was never that clueless.:whistle:

Consider " The Summer of '42 "

I'm not saying that a million thoughts per second don't course through the mind of a 13-year-old boy. We were all that age once, and we know.

I'm suggesting that, unless it's necessary as a milestone in the development of the protagonist (e.g., adolescence as the awakening of both his adulthood and his psychic powers), or as insight into the waitress who will later trigger a crucial decision point in the story (e.g., when bad Dad murders her it coalesces the hero's understanding of morality and rejection of apathy toward evil), it's a bit creepy.

Note bolding above. It may very well be necessary, in which case run with it. And use it as the cover art! It will undoubtedly boost sales.

How about making the kids horribly spoiled, overprotected, and dependent thanks to their mother, so much so that dad finally throws his hands up in disgust and leaves the kids in the woods to 'toughen them up'. Their ages: 32 and 31.

Probably not what you had in mind. :D

Here's the casting, by the way:

g0HVEq4.png

Maxwell Smart asks, "Would you believe 13.5?"

If I remember 13 year old boys at all accurately, it is just about the optimum age for that behavior. Old enough to be interested and too young to notice the social cues that might lead a person to look away.

It appears that the optimum age to ogle and not be inhibited by social cues is 75. (Do not ask me how I know this).

The dad will go back to the diner to sleep with the waitress and the kids will be alone in the woods.

But that's an excellent point. Is thirteen too young to be ogling the waitress's breasts?

Since most men's brains stay in the 7th grade, 13 is just right.:LOL:

And the casting for the décolleté waitress? Just asking. No reason.

No, her role is too minor, but I picture her like this (but with more cleavage):

smf-43183-pink-1950s-diner-girl-womens-fancy-dress-costume-front-image-1500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom