Forum Update - We're back! Ask your questions here.

There must be an obvious answer, but I can't find it.

I get alerts that the thread "What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*" has a reply from userX. Why do I get that alert, and how do I turn it off?

My only irritation (so far) is the typical issue where scrolling with a floating div (not sure if the terminology is right) is screwed up in that there isn't the usual small overlap between pages (so you have to do something like Page Down followed by Arrow Up to achieve the same effect). The issue is endemic, but I still find it irksome.

The forum has been drug, kicking and screaming, into the 21st Century! Huzzah!
When a person (me) is more interested in the content of a forum, it is difficult to find the content when the presentation has become more important than the content.

I had the previous interface fine-tuned. I ignored forums, hid avatars and user details. I could quickly move through un-read thread titles and consume content very quickly. Now all of the distractions have returned.

I'm a content person. It's all about the words for me.

YMMV, of course.

The forum has been drug, kicking and screaming, into the 21st Century! Huzzah!
What does that mean exactly? Are you painting the members here with a broad brush of being stuck in the past and against any/all changes?

This new forum software has some great new features* (OP marking, the "@" notifications, 'Like' buttons, and some others, and probably lots more for the admins). But there are also some things the old forum SW did a bit better.

Is there any problem in asking if some of the best of the old ways are configurable? Does that make me/us someone who has to be "drug, kicking and screaming, into the 21st Century!"?

I see it as just the opposite, people who have enough awareness of modern tech to recognize what is good and bad, and recognize that some of this stuff may be a configuration choice for the admins. If we don't ask, we won't know if it is feasible or not.

* And underlining isn't one of them, it's stuck a level deeper in the menu. While italics are at the top level - IMO, that's just weird. OK, I see Cntrl-U,-B, and -I work, Cntrl-B would open the browser Bookmarks for me on the old forum, but that may have been a product of which editor I chose? But no shortcut for "quote", that's a level too deep. There are always things that have to be learned with a change like this. That doesn't make me a Luddite.

There must be an obvious answer, but I can't find it.

I get alerts that the thread "What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*" has a reply from userX. Why do I get that alert, and how do I turn it off?
Press the alerts bell icon
At the bottom of that little window, select preferences.
Uncheck stuff.

Alternatively, open the thread and unwatch it.

I'm a content person. It's all about the words for me.

Same here.

I understand and appreciate that there was a great deal of cost, time and effort expended in moving to the new software and all the associated new bells and whistles it provides. Unfortunately for me, the loss of the "post feed" (iSpy) feature really diminishes my ability to enjoy all the forum has to offer.

Using that feature in the old software I could scroll down to quickly scan the first sentence or two of the latest posts, regardless of forum, thread or poster. Since thread drift and off topic discussion is often the greatest entertainment value offered on this website, that feature made it easy to recognize when the discussion in what for me was an uninteresting thread topic turned into something I want to see.

To do that now requires opening each and every new post, something I'm unwilling to expend the time and effort to accomplish. The end result is I'm finding myself spending considerably less time here as I only check out new posts in threads with topics I might find interesting.

iSpy was an RSS feed feature that I am hoping the hard working, intelligent, highly motivated and well compensated staff behind the ER.org green curtain will soon enable once again. :)

Press the alerts bell icon
At the bottom of that little window, select preferences.
Uncheck stuff.

Alternatively, open the thread and unwatch it.
Thanks. I just found that page. It's much longer than I would have guessed.

I'll keep an eye out for the "watched" thingy.

iSpy was an RSS feed feature that I am hoping the hard working, intelligent, highly motivated and well compensated staff behind the ER.org green curtain will soon enable once again. :)
I have no inside info on this, but flattery doesn't hurt :)

I've been reading instructions and trying to find the way to turn off my online status green icon.

I went to preferences and un-checked the item, and saved. It was still there, so I logged out and back in. But it is still there.

Maybe there are two settings I need to change?

Using that feature in the old software I could scroll down to quickly scan the first sentence or two of the latest posts, regardless of forum, thread or poster. Since thread drift and off topic discussion is often the greatest entertainment value offered on this website, that feature made it easy to recognize when the discussion in what for me was an uninteresting thread topic turned into something I want to see.
Try going to "Latest Activity" under "What's New". That gives a snippet of the most recent post, and clicking on the thread title takes to that recent post. At least for me.

Try going to "Latest Activity" under "What's New". That gives a snippet of the most recent post, and clicking on the thread title takes to that recent post. At least for me.
Good tip, thanks.

What does that mean exactly? Are you painting the members here with a broad brush of being stuck in the past and against any/all changes?

I was speaking somewhat in jest, but I guess if you feel accosted then... maybe, if the shoe fits, wear it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This new forum software has some great new features
Yes it does! For example, it is much easier to ignore another member. Here, let me show you how that works...

I was speaking somewhat in jest, but I guess if you feel accosted then... maybe, if the shoe fits, wear it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes it does! For example, it is much easier to ignore another member. Here, let me show you how that works...
We need a DISLIKE button.

We need a DISLIKE button.
Hey, I'm just testing features! :unsure:

But seriously, I do like the fact that even quotes are ignored. vBulletin did not have that feature.

Re: dislike buttons, for some reason I don't think any software allows for it, except maybe Reddit's infamous 'downvote' phenomenon.

Something is wrong with the "Early Retirement Daily" email. It used to show new threads opened today. Now it showed 10 threads which had new posts today. Each shows a date that is today but the contents of the post is the first in the thread.
Example:

Daily WORDLE - please, no spoilers! 2023 version

Posted by: Gumby on April 30, 2024

New Year, new thread. Link to prior thread is here Daily WORDLE - 2022

I think something needs a reset, like resetting all forums to "read", to let the software know when to start.

Thanks

Nice job. Much better than the intermediate fix following the demise of Tapatalk.

All I had to do was update the “launch” address in my password manager and poke around for a few days.

I mostly like the upgrade. One thing I liked about the previous version was that the "Latest Posts" that display in a list on the right side of the screen stopped using bold print on the current thread when I had reached the final page while all unread latest posts were still bold. Now I have to go to the next unread post before the previous post stops displaying in bold. This is not a huge deal, but I have clicked the current thread because it was still bold.

I have done some investigation, and it appears those alerts that you have marked as read will disappear by themselves after 4 days. Since it is less than 4 days since the new software went live, we'll see for sure after tomorrow. I'll be checking on Tuesday to see if mine have disappeared.
Updating. It is Tuesday and I just checked the Alerts that I had marked as read last Friday morning or Thursday night. They have now disappeared.

Just curious if anyone but me has the same reaction as I do to the "What's New" drop down menu on the new E-R.org page banner. Whenever I see it I immediately think of this great song by Linda Ronstadt:

Can you get the smilie of the guy with sunglasses playing the electric guitar?

It's akin to the size and style of the smilies in the Generic Smilie section (first group of smilies.)

Interesting discover this morning. I opened the "Alert" (Bell sign) on top right and all treads are gone now, zero. Not sure if something got tweaked or marking "Read" option started working.

Thanks

Interesting discover this morning. I opened the "Alert" (Bell sign) on top right and all treads are gone now, zero. Not sure if something got tweaked or marking "Read" option started working.

Thanks
As I mentioned earlier, once you mark them read, they stay for 4 days and then disappear. They don't disappear immediately, just in case you accidentally marked something read and wanted to go back to it.

Clicked on "+Quote" to try and reply to someone and no pop-up appeared.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom