Fun math problem that stumps everyone

(2+i)*(2-i) ?

Here, of course, i=sqrt(-1)

Isn't adding another number/variable/constant a violation?

How about:

Round to zero the Square root of 22. (I have to check how to use the basic math symbols for "round", vs computer/spreadsheet nomenclature...

But in my computer calculator:

round(sqrt(22)) = 5

-ERD50

Last edited:
Isn't adding another number/variable/constant a violation?

Yeah, I concede that i could be considered a number, violating the premise. But, I thought of that solution, so I figgered I would throw it out there anyway! :D

I wondered philosophically about what constitutes an "operation" vs. a "number." For example, I was thinking about ln(), which seems clearly to be an operation, but for its inverse, exp(), you could squawk about its using a number, 2.182818...

Yeah, I concede that i could be considered a number, violating the premise. But, I thought of that solution, so I figgered I would throw it out there anyway! :D

I wondered philosophically about what constitutes an "operation" vs. a "number." For example, I was thinking about ln(), which seems clearly to be an operation, but for its inverse, exp(), you could squawk about its using a number, 2.182818...

Right, in a similar vein, is the Square Root function not using a number? It can also be expressed as X ^ .5. But I think my solution fits the premise of the challenge:

round(sqrt(22)) = 5

And the use of "22" versus "two 2's" is a nice fit to a puzzle, a little out-of-the-box thinking? I admit I looked at quite a few operations involving "two 2's" before considering "22".

-ERD50

here is the one answer, and they said there are more possible...

The square root of point 2 to the power of minus 2.

sqrt ( (.2)^(-2) )

.2^(-2) is the same as 1/0.04, i.e. 25

[Point 2 is usually written as 0.2, but .2 is also correct.]

sqrt ( (.2)^(-2) )

Very clever!

sqrt ( (.2)^(-2) )

I thought the answer had to equal “exactly 5”. How does 25 satisfy that?

I thought the answer had to equal “exactly 5”. How does 25 satisfy that?

He was just breaking it down. Take that 25, then apply the included "sqrt" function, which is exactly 5.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom