Getting "Carded" Again

When I was in my early 50's I asked at a movie theater about the senior age. The teenaged cashier said in a bored voice, "Lady, if you're willing to call yourself a senior, you can have the senior rate."

Hilarious!!!!!! :LOL:

I have been carded a few times in the past 3 years. I'm convinced that those ladies thought I was cute and were flirting with me. :2funny:

Cheers!

I can't stand the word "senior" used for "old." It's patronizing, as if there were something nasty and cover-up-able about aging, and we all have to pretend old people are still in high school.

Any time anyone uses the "s" word with me, I say, "No, I want the old people discount."

Old people are old, get over it.

Frankly, I could have used a discount when I was 23 and hadn't an extra dime to spare! Why isn't there a young people discount?

I don't like the word either. However...

https://www.etymonline.com/word/senior

*sen- Proto-Indo-European root meaning "old."

It forms all or part of: monseigneur; seignior; senate; senescent; seneschal; senicide; senile; senility; senior; seniority; senor; senora; senorita; shanachie; Shannon; signor; sir; sire; surly.

Yeah, don't forget your ID in TN! It does make it easier for servers with the appeal to authority and also holds them accountable since carding is mandatory and there is no "honest" mistake. I've worked a couple times selling alcohol (college convenience store and bar tending more recently) and there are a lot of folks that don't look their age on both ends of the spectrum. I carded one woman that I thought was likely underage when I was in college who was nearly 50 and tricked a 22 year-old me (made her day) and another guy I thought I was almost a jerk for asking (he looked mid-40's but had turned 21 the day before I carded him).

All the Walmarts around me are 100% too. I've seen some very angry older people that don't carry their ID.

Frankly, I could have used a discount when I was 23 and hadn't an extra dime to spare! Why isn't there a young people discount?

I was just researching membership and entrance prices at the Louvre. Most big French museums are free to under 18-year olds and under 26-year old EU residents. No discount for older people, although if you are unemployed (and I assume documented to be trying to find work) it is also free.

Makes sense.

When I was in my teens and 20's, 80% of my getting "carded" was race and not age related. Not so as I got older, which is a good thing :).

When she was younger, a surprising number of folks who carded DW then tried to get her number or score a date with her... as if they wanted to check her age and/or address more for that purpose.

DW has always looked younger than her age. At 55 and 60 (depending on the discount age limit) she almost always had to tell them she was eligible for the discount. It help that she wears her hair longer and never got and gray hairs until the last couple of years (and so few you still have to look for them).

I carded one woman that I thought was likely underage when I was in college who was nearly 50 and tricked a 22 year-old me (made her day).

Happened to me once as well. I was working the counter at a beach and the drinking age was 18. Guy asked for a beer and couldn't believe it when I carded him. I thought he was probably 18 but I just wasn't sure, so I insisted. Turned out he was 27 and boy, was my face red. But he got a big laugh out of it.

Tennessee is extremely strict about carding everyone, no matter what. It's state law that is enforced. Any sale of alcohol must be carded, and I've never seen an exception. Common sense was thrown out the window there.

Correct. My then 86 year old Father in law was carded when buying beer whilst visiting us.

P.I.A.

When I was in my teens and 20's, 80% of my getting "carded" was race and not age related. Not so as I got older, which is a good thing :).

When she was younger, a surprising number of folks who carded DW then tried to get her number or score a date with her... as if they wanted to check her age and/or address more for that purpose.

DW has always looked younger than her age. At 55 and 60 (depending on the discount age limit) she almost always had to tell them she was eligible for the discount. It help that she wears her hair longer and never got and gray hairs until the last couple of years (and so few you still have to look for them).

BIL was a police officer. He pulled over a nice looking blond for a very minor traffic offense to get her phone number. They married a few months later. Oh, he let her off with a verbal warning after getting her number. YMMV

DW#1 was, shall we say, mature looking for her age. At 14 (before I met her) she was able to walk into nightclubs and not get carded. Of course that was 55 years ago and things have changed. And the drinking age was 18 IIRC

Last edited:
The last time I was carded, I was buying a bottle of wine at Trader Joe's. I then went to the grocery store that gives a discount for seniors, and was given the discount. I was in my 50s at the time. Had a good laugh that day, but now that I am over 65, I look forward to those discounts. 😂

That has happened to us repeatedly in Florida. No ID no alcohol. Rather infuriated my 65 year old wife who didn’t bring her ID. So I ordered 2 drinks and she took one. But our server was not old enough to bring them to the table so I had to fetch them from the bar.

Florida is just absurd sometimes!

My DH is 44 and still getting carded for 21. Sigh. I get it sometimes but not like him. His is so shocking with the masks now that pretty much anywhere we go the server usually freaks out.

While it seems silly to card me, with my wrinkles and gray hair, I get the point that carding everyone removes the cashier defense for serving/selling alcohol to underage folks.

Myself, I have a hard time telling the difference in age of 17 -> 26, and have told some too young folks at family gatherings to help themselves to wine I brought as I notice they are looking but not taking.
Then they tell me they are too young :facepalm:
Yep, not only are there often people for whom our guess would be wrong, I think the ID laws make sense because it takes a lot of the responsibility off of the poor severs/retail workers. They don't have to have a reason to ask for ID, which often could get them yelled at.

We have several here that need to actually scan your drivers license to allow your alcohol purchase. LMAO... our Daughter used the Wifes and got away with it....

That's the new popular thing here, scan the license. I don't like that they do that. I recently renewed my license to the new style and I placed a small piece of electrical tape over a part of the bar code. Won't scan anymore. They wave it a few times then try the hand scanner. They finally give up and punch in the birthdate. Everything they need to sell me beer is on the front of the card.

Card me please. Hasn’t happened since I was 24!

My older sister always got carded until she was 35. Sad, really. She HATED it while many folks I know take it as a sign of something good (you know, looking younger than you are.) But, I guess you have to know my big sis. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom