Gmail question

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Both jeanie and I use the same gmail address. 63 separate settings .
Since we no longer do a lot of email correspondence, there are not many that we intereact with, or need to respond to.

Here's the thing... as soon as one of us reads an email, it is marked as "read", and the mail goes to the "read" file area...

There are upwards of 2 million answers that tell how to isolate email that has been read, but unless we remember to mark the mail as "unread"... it disappears.

Why can't jeanie read the mail, and just leave it for me to read as new. Small point, but causes problems... "You mean you didn't read Jacks letter"?

Is there a way to leave the mail (both read and unread) on the mail page?

Thanks for any help for this techno-ignorant old timer.

My gmail inbox defaults to showing both read and unread mail. If I haven't deleted it or moved it, it's there.

It sounds like you have some odd setting to have your read mail disappear from your inbox? I can't even find how to do that.

I'm not sure how you have your gmail setup. My emails stay in my inbox after I read them. after the first opening they are not longer bold. This is how I can tell if I've looked at them.

you could make a convention that when you read an email you change the star color to color 1, DW sets it to color 2, and if one of you reads it as the second person that you set it to color 3.

lots of ways to do this.

I'm not sure how you have your gmail setup. My emails stay in my inbox after I read them. after the first opening they are not longer bold. This is how I can tell if I've looked at them.

you could make a convention that when you read an email you change the star color to color 1, DW sets it to color 2, and if one of you reads it as the second person that you set it to color 3.

lots of ways to do this.

Thanks... I don't want or need lots of ways... just to let the emails stay where they are. The default for inbox does a sort.

Here's the thing... as soon as one of us reads an email, it is marked as "read", and the mail goes to the "read" file area...

There are upwards of 2 million answers that tell how to isolate email that has been read, but unless we remember to mark the mail as "unread"... it disappears.
When I read an email it changes from bold to not bold but it remains in my inbox unless I move it.

My Gmail (and Yahoo accounts) both show unread mail in bold text and read email in non-bold text. Both stay in my inbox until I delete, archive or move them. I don't ever remember changing any settings so I suspect that's the default.

If you go to the Settings --> Inbox and choose "default" it will keep the read emails in place until you delete or move them.

Since I do not share my email address I have mine set to keep unread items on top with the read ones below. I do not remember changing that setting so it may have been the default at one time.

After an email is read, you can tick the box (like if you were going to delete it).

Then just above are a bunch of icons for "delete", "archive", "move" etc. At the far right of those icons are three vertical dots. Click the dots. One of them says "Mark as Unread" and it will go back to bold.

[Edit]. The icon just to the right of the delete icon says "Mark as Unread".

Last edited:
:facepalm:
Sorry to start a ruckus...
In my email the default goes to "inbox"... and "unread".

Not offered as a default, but if I go down on the left column, there is a setting/link to "all mail".

Yeah I'm too picky... but really... have you ever (honestly now).... have you ever clicked on all of the options to see what is available?
Not just on Gmail, but across the board on all kinds of platforms. The super -great genius creators of new and faster/better way of doing things, have taken over.

The number of Acronyms... some running to 7 letters, are being used in articles, where there is no initial connected explanation. Not only that, but even the most up to date acronym dictionary doesn't always have a logical connection.

Not to put a "too old for this" marker in here, but know that there are still more than 50 million Americans over the age of 65.

Sorry for the rant.... I know "progress can't be stopped". If you are still in your 50's, you'll have a chance to stay abreast of the quantum advances.

Surprising to me... just in the past year, some of my aging smartphone experts, have actually put their phones away, and can be engaged in person to person , face to face, conversation. New friendships, new groups... Lots of bitterness washed away, and softer, more pleasant group environments. The aides at our CCRC are seeing this happen, and the atmosphere is ever improving.

I use Thunderbird for Win 10 and Linux. When the email is read to topic line goes from a bold to a regular font.

Both jeanie and I use the same gmail address. 63 separate settings .
Since we no longer do a lot of email correspondence, there are not many that we intereact with, or need to respond to.

Why can't jeanie read the mail, and just leave it for me to read as new. Small point, but causes problems... "You mean you didn't read Jacks letter"?

Is there a way to leave the mail (both read and unread) on the mail page?

Thanks for any help for this techno-ignorant old timer.

Have the mail from the old shared account forwarded to your new personal Gmail account and your wife's new personal Gmail account.

It will show unread for both of you (in your new personal accounts) and if one reads it it's still unread on the other account. You'll both see it.

You can also set the Reply To address to come from the old account.

This is how my wife and I overcame that problem with our rental housing account.

Hope this helps.

Most of what you receive, you want to go to the archive as soon as you have read it.

For something that you want your spouse to also see, why not assign it to a label (call it "Us" if you like) so that either of you can find it regardless of its "read" value. You can then create rules that would assign an email from, say, a son or daughter to that folder.

Get another gmail account for one of you. We flipped a coin to see who would change. It was pretty painless.

I set things so that if I get anything from a set of senders, it's automagically forwarded to Lena. Something like this:

If matches: from (blahblah@gmail.com OR blah@compuserve.com ...) Forward to [DW's email] set label to: Forwarded to Lena.

For example, anything from our daughter gets forwarded.

It went well and it's good to have two.

No!

Get your own domain.

Imagine the pain you will suffer when Google goes out of business.

I never worry that BarnesFamily.com will disappear.

Until your registrar goes belly up one day, financially or otherwise. Then you get to hope that ICANN deals with the aftermath promptly. Nothing Is bullet proof. Gmail / google has a decent backup scheme if you are concerned about their reliability. if you’re running your own mail server etc.. then losing the name is not horrible, it’s just not worth it to me and I’m very good at doing it if I chose. Someday someone may make a nice cheap ( near ) zero maintenance personal mail solution , then I might change my mind. But I’m not holding my breath.

Sounds to me like your wife is clicking the "archive" button after she reads an email. Its the button that looks like a "down" arrow.

If she clicks archive, then the message gets hidden. She should not click that button. Use the "back" button instead (arrow pointing left).

http://content.reviveyourinbox.com/img/archive.png

Good detective work!
I agree that indeed it sounds like something like this may be happening.

I'm guessing you are using the "Unread First" inbox setting, at https://mail.google.com/mail/u/2/#settings/inbox. If you go to that URL (or click the gear icon, then Settings, then Inbox), is this what you see checked?

What you probably want is Default.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-07 07.29.28.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-01-07 07.29.28.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom