Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been wearing an N95 mask for years in the heat while mowing the lawn. You will get accustomed to it.

I wear a P100 respirator sometimes when treating beehives with formic acid. Doable, but by the time I finish pulling an 80 pound box off the top of 4 hives in the backyard while wearing it, I am really stretched for oxygen.

Squirrel is best in pot pie or braised with bacon, shallots, mushrooms and ale.

I agree, squirrel can be very good. We've eaten woodchuck and cottontail rabbits also in recent years, and they are both great (though woodchucks are somewhat tedious to clean). I have a rule at my house.........if you dare eat my garden veggies, you risk being eaten by me. It's actually nice to sometimes get some protein from the garden, in addition to the veggies..........:D

Going to be fun wearing a mask when the daytime temperatures hit the mid-90s mark. We're forecast to be there this upcoming Saturday through Tuesday.

I’m not worried about it. I only wear them inside stores, and the stores are airconditioned.

Went grocery shopping this morning. Local Kroger in southeast Texas is fully stocked including hand sanitizer, face masks, toilet paper, paper towels, all kinds of meats, all kinds of vegetables, all kinds of milk, plenty of eggs, ....

Except for people wearing masks and the floor markings at the checkout, one would not know that there was an ongoing pandemic.

With everyone here talking about picking up extra meat just in case it gets scarce, it will soon disappear. I don't hold out much hope for my monthly box-store shopping trip next week.

Oh well, we like curried lentils and rice, and the local farmer's market delivers vegetables. Will have to get my cholesterol checked when blood tests are again available. It's usually a bit high; maybe a lack of meat will get it into the normal range?

Meat was not scarce this morning, but there was a limit of one (1) package of chicken breasts per person, but there were packages of 4, 8, and 12. While I am not a big meat eater myself, my shopping list from my household members had ground pork, ground beef, ground turkey, pork sausage, so I picked those up with no problems. I believe the meat department is only putting out a few packages at a time, but there is probably plenty in the back.

Went grocery shopping this morning. Local Kroger in southeast Texas is fully stocked including hand sanitizer, face masks, toilet paper, paper towels, all kinds of meats, all kinds of vegetables, all kinds of milk, plenty of eggs, ....

Except for people wearing masks and the floor markings at the checkout, one would not know that there was an ongoing pandemic.

Good for Texas! Northern California is not there yet but getting there.

I hope we can return to normal as soon as we can. This shelter in place makes me feel like I am under house arrest.

Because I am close to 70, my daughter is buying all the food for me online. For only $3.99 delivery, it is a good deal but I miss going to the store.

When the food is delivered to my front door, it reminds me of a hard core and dangerous prisoner receiving his meals through an opening of a prison cell.

On Saturday, we put 245# of our half of our annual beef in the freezer. DW has had me cleaning up some stuff to make room, but there was ample room when it was all over. She picked up some pork chops, a turkey, chicken breasts, chicken thighs, some wings (those will be a rare treat, they were pretty cheap) and bags of veggies. We're set for a good while.

Looks like things are almost back to normal. The large grocery chain here removed purchasing limits a couple of days ago on all products.

We did an online order for pick up a couple of days ago that included chicken, steaks, ground beef, and bacon. I was notified a few minutes ago the order would be ready for pick up at the scheduled time with a list confirming everything we ordered, including all the meat items. The only substitutions were package sizes for some pasta.

Walmart, suburban SE Arizona. Tons of chicken, bewildering choices. Scored nice boneless chicken breast on discount, dated use or freeze today. No problem, smoked chicken tonight!

I went to Costco today and noticed a sign by the front door stating that effective May 4, "All Members, Guests, and Employees Must Wear Face Coverings". I'm glad they did this. Most of the customers were wearing masks today but a number of them chose not to.

IMG_0310.jpg

Looks like things are almost back to normal. The large grocery chain here removed purchasing limits a couple of days ago on all products.

We did an online order for pick up a couple of days ago that included chicken, steaks, ground beef, and bacon. I was notified a few minutes ago the order would be ready for pick up at the scheduled time with a list confirming everything we ordered, including all the meat items. The only substitutions were package sizes for some pasta.
Walmart, suburban SE Arizona. Tons of chicken, bewildering choices. Scored nice boneless chicken breast on discount, dated use or freeze today. No problem, smoked chicken tonight!
Wonderful! Sounds like I may have managed to wait this one out, and if so that would be terrific. I went through my share of food shortages and empty shelves after Katrina, and as one can imagine, I have zero desire to repeat any aspect of that experience.

I will be getting my mask (ugh!) from Etsy in the mail tomorrow or the next day, and soon may dare to venture out to the grocery store for the first time in a couple of months.

I went to Costco today and noticed a sign by the front door stating that effective May 4, "All Members, Guests, and Employees Must Wear Face Coverings". I'm glad they did this. Most of the customers were wearing masks today but a number of them chose not to.

View attachment 34828

Good to know. I go almost weekly, although we’ve tapered a bit now that the freezer and pantry are stocked. Virtually everyone wears masks since at least a month. Ditto at TJ’s. So not a big change.

The local Walmart, Safeway, and Fry’s (Kroger) are another matter. Masks are in the minority, ditto with all the hardware and home improvement stores. Another world, just blocks away from Costco.

View attachment 34828

Yes, there was an employee at the Costco today with a megaphone announcing this upcoming policy regarding face coverings to everyone entering the store. About half the customers at this central California Costco were wearing a mask.

I order groceries for curbside pickup twice a week. On all orders for 10 days now I have been able to get everything except for paper towels. I even scored TP and disinfecting wipes a few days ago.

In addition, until about 10 days ago the only time slots you could reserve were always a week out - nothing earlier than 7 days, ever. Now, I can find slots starting 2-3 days out, and if I look 4-6 days out, the entire day from 10 am - 8 pm is available. So people have calmed down, apparently.

After 6 weeks garlic (by the head) is back.

View attachment 34828

I happen to have a number of this company's products on hand (they are mostly sold out). Suppose this would work:

Attachments

• Frost-Tech-2-9.jpg
    Frost-Tech-2-9.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 41
I order groceries for curbside pickup twice a week. On all orders for 10 days now I have been able to get everything except for paper towels. I even scored TP and disinfecting wipes a few days ago.

In addition, until about 10 days ago the only time slots you could reserve were always a week out - nothing earlier than 7 days, ever. Now, I can find slots starting 2-3 days out, and if I look 4-6 days out, the entire day from 10 am - 8 pm is available. So people have calmed down, apparently.

Wow, a very different experience than what I am seeing here in central NC. What area of the country are you in?

My local supermarket has now made "senior hours" from 6am-9am every day. I think that is going too far. I am typically more of a rule follower than the average person but I am not waiting that late to go shopping. It was bad enough when they had it until 8am every day. I will go when i'm ready to go and if they kick me out they lose a customer for the next 30+ years.

After 6 weeks garlic (by the head) is back.

We have a large Asian supermarket that always had fresh garlic and ginger even during the height of panic buying a few weeks ago.

Few people shopping, virtually all masked. Had rice and choice when no one else did. DW freaked out halfway to the door and sheltered in place, in the car, while I shopped...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom