Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Costco today and noticed a sign by the front door stating that effective May 4, "All Members, Guests, and Employees Must Wear Face Coverings". I'm glad they did this. Most of the customers were wearing masks today but a number of them chose not to.
View attachment 34828
If some people chose not to wear masks, then obviously it's not true that all guests must wear face masks.

People are protesting Costco’s new policy on Twitter, threatening to cancel their membership because Costco is taking away their freedoms. Fine with me. The stores were too crowded anyway, so if they lose a few customers over this it will make it easier for the rest of us to shop there.

I remember the good old days when being retired meant you got to shop at Costco on weekday mornings when the store was quiet and relaxed. Now every day there is like a weekend.

The grocery store that was selling me the tax-free booze has fixed the glitch! I got taxed on my most recent wine buy there. I was outraged! How quickly one gets used to the life of crime. I hid my outrage, of course. Back to the straight and narrow path.

I happen to have a number of this company's products on hand (they are mostly sold out). Suppose this would work:

LOL. Glad I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read this.

I gotta get me one of those.

People are protesting Costco’s new policy on Twitter, threatening to cancel their membership because Costco is taking away their freedoms. Fine with me. The stores were too crowded anyway, so if they lose a few customers over this it will make it easier for the rest of us to shop there.

I remember the good old days when being retired meant you got to shop at Costco on weekday mornings when the store was quiet and relaxed. Now every day there is like a weekend.

Capitalism at its best. I just might renew my Costco membership I cancelled years ago.

I went to Costco today and noticed a sign by the front door stating that effective May 4, "All Members, Guests, and Employees Must Wear Face Coverings". I'm glad they did this. Most of the customers were wearing masks today but a number of them chose not to.
If some people chose not to wear masks, then obviously it's not true that all guests must wear face masks.
Note the requirement to wear masks doesn't go into effect until May 4.

Raleigh NC

Was pouring down hard early this morning. What a great time to go grocery shopping!!

Didn't need too much so I went to Food Lion, instead of my typical Publix/Lidl store. Glad to see that all employees were wearing face masks. So in all 3 stores now every employee is wearing a mask.

Even 9 of the 10 customers were wearing face masks. I'm glad to see this.

Went to Publix this morning. All employees were wearing masks, but no gloves.
About 75% of shoppers were wearing masks. I expect that % to go down soon.

I went to Wegmans this morning at about 9:30. My timing was good— I walked right in but by the time I was leaving there we about twenty people waiting in line to enter.

All employees and customers were wearing masks (as is required by PA). There are reminders on the floor to stay “a cart apart” but not everyone is polite about that. There seemed to be two kinds of shoppers that pushed past / didn’t wait their turn: some of the Instacart shoppers (time is money for them) and older men who looked like they are new to filling a cart with groceries.

My main goal was to get some milk but I purchased some other things that we were getting low on. I didn’t go by the meat case so I can’t comment on the inventory. The shredded cheese is (still) gone, and I had to get 1% milk instead of our usual skim milk. There were no disinfectant wipes but at least some paper towels and tp. I bought a 6-pack of paper towels that will likely last three months or so (we use old towels for most cleanup chores).

There were many more Instacart shoppers in the store than I’ve ever seen there. It seemed like about a third of the shoppers were filling Instacart orders

Went to Harris Teeter this morning, in the monsoon. All employees were wearing masks, but some had them down below their noses. Why bother!

We were surprised to see lots of meat, of all types. Lots of eggs. The frozen veg section was wiped out though -- go figure!

Returned an item at Walmart yesterday, and then went to Trader Joe's. About 95% of women and 80% of men were wearing masks at the two places. In-stock status was good. :)

I was at my local Costco earlier this week and most of the customers and employees were wearing masks. I was their during senior hours. I did observe one young fellow (maybe 30, max) shopping with no mask on. So, I am glad they will enforce the mask rule.

Our local Kroger affiliate (Fred Meyer) was full of customers and employees not wearing masks. Maybe 50% of the total people in the store were not wearing a mask.

Since it's hard to get disposable masks, I don't make any judgements. Both stores seem to be trying to make the experience safer.

Since it's hard to get disposable masks, I don't make any judgements.

That's the thing - the only reason we have masks is that DW bought a package when she had a cold several years ago and I had a package of ten N95 masks in the shop that I bought for making wood dust. But it was merely coincidental that we had those. By the time they were required for shopping all the places we knew of were sold out. And neither one of us sews. Same thing with rubber gloves - I had a couple boxes for shop use but not everyone keeps those on hand either.

So what's a person to do if they're in that fix and didn't already have some?

LOL. Glad I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read this.

I gotta get me one of those.

They have far less politically correct ones, like the Rasta with a spliff the insulated ones are great for winter sports.

Do they get this upset over no shirt no shoes no service? Over no smoking inside buildings? Why are people getting so upset that they have to wear masks inside a private business when they are around other people?

Do they get this upset over no shirt no shoes no service? Over no smoking inside buildings? Why are people getting so upset that they have to wear masks inside a private business when they are around other people?

Realistically I think it has nothing to do with masks. It's pent up frustration over being stuck at home for 45 days with no clear date in site for when anything might change. They are looking for something to gripe about and this just happens to be the topic of the moment.

Realistically I think it has nothing to do with masks. It's pent up frustration over being stuck at home for 45 days with no clear date in site for when anything might change. They are looking for something to gripe about and this just happens to be the topic of the moment.

Yeah, probably right.

Unfortunately things aren’t getting back to “normal” for the rest of this year, maybe two, so these frustrated people are going to be angry for a good while longer.

That's the thing - the only reason we have masks is that DW bought a package when she had a cold several years ago and I had a package of ten N95 masks in the shop that I bought for making wood dust. But it was merely coincidental that we had those. By the time they were required for shopping all the places we knew of were sold out. And neither one of us sews. Same thing with rubber gloves - I had a couple boxes for shop use but not everyone keeps those on hand either.

Most people in my area are wearing handmade masks. There are many people in my area selling masks they have sewed. Also many for sell online at reasonable prices such as on Etsy. It is much easier to find a homemade mask than to find toilet paper! It is hard to buy gloves but in my area no places are requiring gloves.

It is much easier to find a homemade mask than to find toilet paper!

Hard to believe, but so true!

DH turns 60 in two weeks but I sent him to the senior hours at Costco last week to get toilet paper because that is the only time they have it in stock. Fortunately they did not check his ID!

Hard to believe, but so true!

DH turns 60 in two weeks but I sent him to the senior hours at Costco last week to get toilet paper because that is the only time they have it in stock. Fortunately they did not check his ID!

If you have a Walmart near you, it should be a 60 y.o. requirement.

I bought some masks on Etsy. It took about a month to get them, but now I have them. I used two different suppliers in case one took longer. and one of the orders did take a couple weeks longer to receive.

Before I could get my masks made by a good seamstress I made some masks out of old t shirts. There are some youtube videos how to do it. Not the best but worked OK until I could get something better.

I got me some BRISKET today! :dance:

OTOH, Walmart substituted "Roasted Red Potatoes With Chive Butter Sauce" for " Pepper & Onion Blend". Huh?

But I was in such a good mood from scoring on the brisket I just let it happen, they will get eaten eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom