Happiness and why we do the things we do

In addition to all the good suggestions above, I think that happiness is not taking anything, yourself or what others do to you, seriously. When my grandfather was 51, the government took away his farm (his version of FIRE) and threw him in a prison camp along with the whole family, including my mom. They both never complained about it and when they were released, let go of the experience. It really has served as a guide of how to act for me as well as put my "problems" into perspective.

bssc said:
In addition to all the good suggestions above, I think that happiness is not taking anything, yourself or what others do to you, seriously. When my grandfather was 51, the government took away his farm (his version of FIRE) and threw him in a prison camp along with the whole family, including my mom. They both never complained about it and when they were released, let go of the experience. It really has served as a guide of how to act for me as well as put my "problems" into perspective.

Japanese Interrment Centers in the U.SA. ?

Sad chapter in our history.

Jarhead* said:
Japanese Interrment Centers in the U.SA. ?

Sad chapter in our history.
Yes, but the interesting thing was that it never made them sad. They figured that it would get straightened out in the end and it did. I think that my generation makes a bigger deal out of it. But my grandparents was what made them happy (and live to be 101 and 93 respectively).

Once a year I reread a book by Richard Carlson, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff... and its all small stuff." Sadly, the author (age 45), passed away on December 13th while enroute to New York to promote his latest book. Dr. Carlson is a world renowned expert in happiness. If you're interested in this subject, it's worth your time to read this bestseller.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
if you are not happy with yourself neither good clergy nor good fornication will make you any happier.

Good fornication with clergy. Now THAT's where you'll find happiness. Hah! :LOL:

-CC

Yakers
Claire, I would suggest looking into meditation.
Eagle43
They found that 9 out of 10 of the most positive 25 percent of the nuns were still alive at 85, while only one-third of the least positive 25 percent were. Overall, their study showed positive emotions correlated to a 10-year increase in life span, greater even than the differential between smokers and nonsmokers.

I’ve been reading a lot about the chemistry of emotions lately. Dr. Candace Pert Ph.D. is an expert on this topic. She can translate what she has proven in the laboratory into ‘lay-speak’ so, for me, she is easy enough to follow.

Activities like meditation or getting into the ‘flow’ release different chemicals than activities like stress, fight-or-flight circumstances, anger and fear. One set builds up the immune system and the other set tears it down. Now, remember, she is speaking on a chemical, cellular level here..

So if we become exposed to a disease or the ‘flu’ for instance, it’s our immune system that can deal with this problem easily, or not, depending on its state of health.

Lazygood4nothin
my buddhist monk-turned-publisher cousin told me that whenever i had trouble organizing my thoughts i should instead organize a drawer, a room, the house. that i could help control how i function internally by changing how i function on the outside

I love this. I think this approach is the same as what Karen Kingston presents in her Clearing Clutter books. Clean out the closets, the junk drawers, the garage, and presto (sort of… :D ) one’s life falls into a better position.. It does seem to help with the chaos in life...

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

chris2008 said:
I found this blog some time ago:
http://www.happinessproject.typepad.com/

It provides lots of interesting ideas on how to do things that make you happy - and to realize that you are happy while you are.

Chris2008:

Thanks for pointing out the above blog. Got a good idea from it: Tomorrow I am going to the store to buy some good quality pillows to replace my old ones, which I have had for way too long and have gone flat. I'm sure I'll be a lot happier once I get some new fluffy pillows!

What a great link!

I know I'm going to enjoy this immensely in the days to come. She gives some very thoughtful suggestions. Thanks for sharing!

:D

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

claire said:
how do you stop playing "mental movies" of the past when such thoughts run like an automatic train through one's head?

I highly recommend the techniques in Brian Tracey's book "Maximum Achievement."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom