Having to reboot router daily--what's Up?

nwsteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For last couple of weeks, we are finding we have to reboot router to restore access to web. Router less than 2 years old. Modem we own maybe 3-4 years. Comcast is provider.
Computers show connected to wifi but no access to web. Seems to happen about same time every day. Router reboot solves problem till next day.
Any guidance on troubleshooting is much appreciated.

For last couple of weeks, we are finding we have to reboot router to restore access to web. Router less than 2 years old. Modem we own maybe 3-4 years. Comcast is provider.
Computers show connected to wifi but no access to web. Seems to happen about same time every day. Router reboot solves problem till next day.

See if there is a firmware update for the modem and/or the router. If so, update

There could be a multitude of reasons. If a firmware update doesn't fix it, then I would Google your issue (and type of router) and I would guess you will see a lot of hits with your exact issue.

Let me guess....you have a Netgear AC1900 or similar router? I finally gave up and bought all new equipment and put the Netgear in the barn as an AP. However, first auto update and the thing froze permanently.

I put an Asus router/ap out there and the signal is now excellent. Our home is a on acreage so I rely on Nano Beam antennas to reach across the property (fast and really easy to set up). My weak link had been the Netgear, which did the exact same thing for a year until I got my Asus equipment. I just bought more Asus equipment for the AImesh in the house. Awesome.

Lesson learned, I have always had issues with Netgear and their interface software. Asus has the best, but it costs a little more than Orbi and Netgear for a reason.

The problem with Netgear has always been the updates that fail to load properly and in my case even a hard reset was impossible to fix it.

We had the same issue with our Arris/Motorola SBG6700AC on Comcast/Xfinity.

My solution:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBN8HA5

I set it to power the modem off/on daily at 1AM. Never hangs or needs a reboot (during the day) any more.

Any programmable timer will do. I liked this one only because our modem is down in the basement and it allowed me to use the remote from upstairs if I needed to manually reboot it...instead of taking a hike downstairs.

Last edited:
We had a semi-similar issue a while back with Comcast and their equipment and their lack of service. In any case every day around 2pm the internet was unusable; cycling the modem appeared to "fix it". No internet response but yes you had wifi.

I disconnected all our devices, some I didn't know what they were and shut them down at the modem. After a long process of elimination it was Google photos on DW's phone trying to backup something to the cloud; it made some call for extensions and it locked up taking the modem, or some global resource, with it.

That timer power cycle thing is a good idea; many routers with advanced features have that built in.
If you are so inclined to dig deep into the workings of things, I think your router is failing to get a new address when the lease expires.
Your router gets an address periodically from the provider, it is a lease that expires in X number of minutes. Often it is 24 hour lease. It should automatically do it, but somewhere along the life of it, some 1's and 0's got mucked up.

If anyone is sick of their Netgear router and going to replace it anyway, I suggest trying to flash it with DD-WRT firmware. I haven't used it for a few years now, but it's basically open source firmware that is a LOT more configurable and helpful than the Netgear firmware.

If anyone is sick of their Netgear router and going to replace it anyway, I suggest trying to flash it with DD-WRT firmware. I haven't used it for a few years now, but it's basically open source firmware that is a LOT more configurable and helpful than the Netgear firmware.

I have to agree, but on my recent lock up even that firmware would not allow me to access and upload the netgear router. It is worth a try, but netgear will just stumble again even if it does get updated once, it will lock again on the next software update. Just my experience. My Asus router has been rock solid now for over a year.

I have to agree, but on my recent lock up even that firmware would not allow me to access and upload the netgear router. It is worth a try, but netgear will just stumble again even if it does get updated once, it will lock again on the next software update. Just my experience. My Asus router has been rock solid now for over a year.
True, my current router is an Asus and I'm very happy with it, but flashing your router (not just Netgear, there are DD-WRT versions for other brands, too) gives it a totally different interface and software, so it won't update to the manufacturer's firmware unless you were to download and load it manually. Think of it like installing Linux as the OS on your Windows computer.

Likely the problem is not in the router, but the router reset is causing the modem to also reset itself and the Comcast connection. Next time, try power cycling the modem and see if that cures the problem. Before the power cycle, check the status lights. If the internet connection light that is out, I'd start to suspect Comcast.

Update from OP--checked firmware and it is current. Have rebooted modem a couple of times prior to router restart but no cure yet. ;-(

Back
Top Bottom