Heading to Europe for 3 Weeks

How many liters did you all drink?!? I couldn't believe how many people were drinking eine maß (huge liter mug) at a time. More empty maß mugs on the table - and this under ordinary afternoon consumption. At 5.5% alcohol on average that is huge consumption. I just can't believe how much beer the average Bavarian can put away.

I always got a small - which was still usually half a liter!!!

I was only good for one liter. I am not a huge drinker but everyone around me had no problems with multiple beers. My BIL bought a round for 3 of the German guys that we were sitting with. They looked at him like he was crazy. The one guy said "We German's count our coins." as in they don't usually buy other peoples drinks so they appreciated it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We breezed through Venice and Rome. Both great cities and bustling with tourists. Now we are in Prague. What a place! This is my favorite city so far. I was not sure what to expect when we got here but I never expeced it to be so beautiful. We are staying near the Old Town Square. We had a tour guide yesterday who spent three hours with us yesterday walking around old town. He was great and gave a good historical perspective on the city. Today we are doing a WWII tour that was given 5 Stars on Trip Advisor. I must admit we have relied on Trip Advisor many times during this trip. It is a great resources.

We breezed through Venice and Rome. Both great cities and bustling with tourists. Now we are in Prague. What a place! This is my favorite city so far. I was not sure what to expect when we got here but I never expeced it to be so beautiful.
Prague is wonderful. I'd like to say it's my favorite but then I think of other places that are pretty close. Many places are specieal in their own way.

You're near the end of your trip. Did you get a chance to visit Cesky Krumlov?

How many liters did you all drink?!? I couldn't believe how many people were drinking eine maß (huge liter mug) at a time. More empty maß mugs on the table - and this under ordinary afternoon consumption. At 5.5% alcohol on average that is huge consumption. I just can't believe how much beer the average Bavarian can put away.

I always got a small - which was still usually half a liter!!!
I can assure you it's in the genes. There are heavy Bavarian roots in my family and beer has been a favorite. In a feable attempt to control my weight, I've had to swear off beer in favor of less fattening choices.

A good Bavarian can go on about beer just like a Frenchman can discuss wine. My knowledge in both areas is lacking so I glaze over quickly in either company. Both the French and Bavarians can finally agree on something -- that I'm just another ignorant American.

We breezed through Venice and Rome. Both great cities and bustling with tourists. Now we are in Prague. What a place!

Don't miss the "bone church" at Sedlec, a half-hour drive from Prague's old city. You can hire a guide to take you there by minibus.

We could have stayed longer in Prague there is so much to see and do. We never had a chance to go outside of the city but it would have been great to go to some of the other towns. The WWII tour was just ok. The guide was good but I was expecting more.

After Prague we took a train to Berlin and spent a full day there. We took a 4 hour walking tour which was great. The guide was a history teacher and was excellant. I can't say enough good things about the public transportation in Europe. It was very convenient.

All in all we had the perfect trip, the food was good, the places we stayed were comfortable and the transportation was reliable. We spent 22 days traveling and could have spent another 22 days. For the two of us it cost around $10,000 which included $3,000 for the flight, around $2,500 for lodging and the remainder food, tours and incidentals.

The only negative was when I got home I lost the first 7 days of photos o the trip from my memory card for some reason. I have used a couple of file recovery programs and have gotten some photos back but nothing for the first 7-days of the trip (all of Bavaria). We do have iPhone photos so it is not a total loss. I wish there were a way to backup the memory card every night but I didn't want to have to carry a laptop with me all around Europe. I am not sure how it happened but it was probably operator error of some sort.

I wish there were a way to backup the memory card every night but I didn't want to have to carry a laptop with me all around Europe. I am not sure how it happened but it was probably operator error of some sort.

I use my iPad for backup. All that's required is the Apple camera connection kit. Works with either jpeg or RAW. Of course it's something else to carry, but useful anyway for planning en route.

Edit: So sorry, posted this in the wrong thread. Moved to intended"Have You Got Any Travel Planned" thread.

Last edited:
I use my iPad for backup. All that's required is the Apple camera connection kit. Works with either jpeg or RAW. Of course it's something else to carry, but useful anyway for planning en route.

+1

I also have a free Google drive account which the iPad logs in to. I then edit the photos on the iPad, copy them to my Google drive, sort them in folders and rename them. When I get home from the trip I then simply copy them to my home laptop and external drive.

For long trips the sorting and naming makes things a whole lot easier than trying to do it months later.

Back
Top Bottom