Health insurance options?

pirsquared

Recycles dryer sheets
My brother needs health insurance but does not have it available through his job. He has two jobs he loves, but neither is full time. He was on his wife's health insurance, but she changed jobs and adding him would cost $800/month. Plus they have recently separated and would like to keep things separate. However, because they are still married, he cannot get an ACA subsidy since he is technically eligible to be on her plan. He did look into an ACA plan without subsidy but it is very expensive. Any ideas? Thanks!

My brother needs health insurance but does not have it available through his job. He has two jobs he loves, but neither is full time. He was on his wife's health insurance, but she changed jobs and adding him would cost $800/month. Plus they have recently separated and would like to keep things separate. However, because they are still married, he cannot get an ACA subsidy since he is technically eligible to be on her plan. He did look into an ACA plan without subsidy but it is very expensive. Any ideas? Thanks!

He can’t apply for ACA and state that he is separated from his wife?

Look into CHM -- Christian Healthcare Ministries ---- After 18 months of cobra, then another 12 months of Obamacare with NO Subsidies, paying over $900 per mo for the cheapest plan, I did the switch...... I have saved several thousand dollars and am very happy with the options .... I pay $225 Per Month ---- Check it out ----> https://www.chministries.org/

Thanks for the replies! I am not sure if health sharing would be the right fit for him. I was not aware that legal separation would change household size for ACA subsidies. I thought only divorce would change that. That is very helpful info!!

There are short-term medical (STM) plans if he is healthy. They are not ACA compliant, require medical underwriting, and exclude pre-existing conditions. Some states do not allow STMs but eHealthInsurance.com is a good place to start.

You do not get special enrollment into an ACA plan if you cannot renew the STM mid-year. I would only get one I could cancel on 12/31 to coincide with ACA annual enrollment in case my health status changed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom