Hobbies

Old Cars, Old Tractors, Photography. Camping but mostly to benefit other hobbies and trips on the cheap, not for camping sake. Lots of other side interests but not at the level of a hobby.

Jeb

Riding my recumbent bike/gym in winter
Fishing, including fly fishing
camping in our little pop up camper
bird hunting
walking hiking
making wine
yard work/garden
cooking
bothering my wife

driving my convertible at full tilt <vroom vroom>
DIY investing
cooking
gardening
reading
power boating
techno-babbling (computers, science, engineering)
planning events & parties as a volunteer "grunt"

I would like to learn (relearn) as mind stretching and "out of the box" mental exercises:

- drawing or painting, but i'm not sure my brain can do this. Art 100 was a REAL challenge in college. but i did get an "A" for effort and the course grade. I greatly amused the teacher.
- musical instrument, maybe fiddling. i played some piano as a child and teenager, but had no ear and very little tempo. or patience to stick with it. :rolleyes:
- refresh myself on reading/speaking the Spanish language. i studied for 4 yrs in HS, but i forgot most of it.

As much as I love sailing, it's just way too expensive. An indulgence I permit myself while I am still working. I can crew on other people's boats, charter, etc. in retirement. But I do have other hobbies (reading, internet, woodworking, dogs, biking, weightlifting, cooking, foodie adventures, iPod/music, etc.) and I look forward to exploring my (Zelinski) Get-A-Life Tree in the years ahead.

Glad you appreciate sailing too...
Crewing on other people's boats always sounded interesting. Glad to know you are just giving up a boat and not sailing itself.

We owned a sailboat for many years, but got rid of it along with our house when we became RV fulltimers. We didn't sail as much after retiring because we were traveling a lot. We sailed a great deal while working - it was a great stress reliever.

We will likely charter a sail boat one of these days. I don't think we'll ever own a boat again except for maybe a kayak - a bigger boat can really tie you down (pun!).

Audrey

i used to drag race (blown alcohol 1940 willys coupe, 7.03 @ 195 in the 1/4 mile) but sold the race car & all the hot rods to get closer to RE.

current interests / hobbies include:

antique harley davidsons (working on 1937 thru 1953 restoration projects).
shooting guns (any type, caliber)
welding, machining, metal fabrication, etc.
traveling in our motorhome with our rottweiler.
planning for our early retirement.

Damn, you guys are all so artistic and talented. My hobby is making borderline jokes on this forum.

My current hobbies:
reading
cycling
running
hiking
kayaking
snowshoeing

Once I'm ER or working PT will add:
golfing
Xcountry skiiing
fishing

sewing... which gets expensive b/c I buy bernina machines and fabrics by Pucci, Chanel, etc or organic cotton, 100% cashmere, etc. Even at $60/y though, still cheaper than buying retail:
Emilio Pucci Cosmo print kaftan*|*NET-A-PORTER.COM

dh's is woodworking. He makes beautiful furniture. The only reason I'm buying from Thomas Moser is b/c dh requires more than 1.5 week to turn out a changing station.

One nice thing about ER is you get to have as many hobbies as you want since you have 24/7 to putter around. This is my latest little project, a mini greenhouse right off my wood shop.

The orchid collection is growing a little faster than I expected, last month I only had one. :eek: Just trying to stimulate the economy.

Got to get the glass installed before the weather goes down hill.

Attachments

• GREENH~1.JPG
    GREENH~1.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 5
  • P0004989.JPG
    P0004989.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 6
  • P0004988.JPG
    P0004988.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 5
  • P0004991.JPG
    P0004991.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 6
The flowers are beautiful Unclehon. You folks who do woodworking do an amazing job.

- Cooking
- Camping
- Hiking
- Brewing
- Slowly starting up with the banjo
- Chasing kids

That's about all I seem to have time for. I used to be quite an avid fisherman, but just do not have time these days. Also been spending a lot oftime at the gym, but its not what I would call a hobby. Sadly, the canoe has been sitting in the yard for some time.

- fishing
- gardening.....mostly fruit trees
- amateur astronomy
- RC airplanes....my son is the flier, I'm the ground crew
- wrenching on my old car ...when my bad back allows
- I also love to read

Looking at Brewers post above reminds me ....I've always wanted to try wine making. Some of the best I've ever had was home made by an old Czech guy here in town. :)

Guitars, playing them, acquiring them, creating satisfying music with them, especially in a band situation with like minded musicians, and all the intricate subtleties of the genre, from fine acoustics to brutal electrics to vintage tube amps, to a plethora of stomp boxes and gadgetry. DW is somewhat famous on boards more closely associated with Guitars and such where she is known as the IGBW (Incredible Guitar Buying Wife). The party line is that I don't actually own any of the stuff, I just play with it. Works for me. Playing a musical instrument (44 years now) is such an enriching experience. I highly recommend it, at any age.

Jonny, you must be related to my husband. Ahhhh, musicians.....O0....:p....:D

You people are awesome! Financially responsible and have fun hobbies! Talented group too.

I am looking forward to getting back into breeding and showing Silver Persian cats.

Hiking
Running
Kayaking/Canoeing
Mountain biking
Boating/Skiing
Fishing
Woodworking (furniture mostly)
Gardening
Reading

Most of the outdoor activities allow my dog (black lab) to enjoy them as well. He even kayaks/canoes with me. I have always wanted to learn to brew beer so that is on my list.

gardening in spring and summer
kayaking in summer
knitting
volleyball

Too many hobbies here, too. I feel guilty when I neglect some of them.

I go thru hobbies like water. I've been good recently tho, trying to keep expenses down.

Computers, MMORPGs (I quit cold turkey beginning of the summer)
Guns/shooting (tho a lot less now that I'm out of the Army)
Cars (buying, maintaining)
Internet forums (what a time sink!)

Golf and its very expensive. I am contemplating quiting my golf club. Cost about 400 per month

Back
Top Bottom